WHS, SMB + NFS Problems, Media Scanning, Stuttering, Crashing
So I just made the move from a HTPC with internal hard drives, to a Server + mini HTPC.

I built 2 new machines:

Server is a zotac nm10-b-e running WHS 2011

HTPC is an i3 sandy bridge build running Windows 7, with a nightly build from April 28th 2011.

Router is gigabit and has given me no issues up until now. All computers report "1gbps" as connection speed.

Issues:

SMB seems to just be too slow. library scanning was slow, then trying to watch a movie, it would just freeze up randomly. Had to stop the movie and exit (which seemed to take 2-3 minutes), then start again. Every 5-10 minutes, it was freezing.

So I tried NFS. That was a joy to get configured, but finally got all my shares setup and added into xbmc. Browsing and library update speeds greatly increased.

Optimistic, I loaded up a 1080p movie. It started buffering, skipping, and stuttering right off the get-go. It only made it about 5 seconds between buffering. Then I tried a 720p episode. It played for about 10 minutes, then dumped me back to the main menu.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't both SMB and NFS have plenty of bandwidth to stream 1080p over a gigabit wired connection? Why would I be having these types of issues?

MUSIC. I don't have all that much, but most of it is not mainstream. Its alot of mixed electronic, drumnbass, etc. Anytime I try to scan my music folder into the library, it gets stuck on certain albums for an insane amount of time. I left it overnight, and in the morning it was stuck on the exact same album. I looked up the album manually on allmusic.com, and got a result in 2 seconds. So what's going on here??

I had to give up on scanning the music, I don't really care, as long as I can browse and hit play. But it seems like every time the song advances to a different artist or album, XBMC freezes again. If I leave it, it will eventually start playing. It seems to be trying to load the album art, or something.

What am I doing wrong? I was under the assumption that a dedicated Server + HTPC was the preferred setup. My old combined system suffered none of these problems!
There might some packet drop issues. What happens if you copy a large file between the two machines?
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
I may be having SATA controller issues with my Zotac NM10-B-E.

It has a buggy Jmicron controller that is essentially a port multiplier. I am getting I/O device errors in WHS's server manager.

I'll dig a little deeper tonight and report back.
Did you manage to find out what is causing the stutter? I am having a similar problem, though on a bit different server Hardware (HP Proliant Microserver N36L on WHS2011).

For me Video Playback (SD) is fine for approx 10 Minutes, then abrupt stop of the videostream and catching up after 30 seconds. Afterwards it´s usually fine, though I had it once that hickups all 5 minutes disturbed the stream.

Copying a file between the two pc´s on SMB reaches speeds around 50-60MByte/sec.
Cool thanks guys. I just started playing with this. Right now I'm using 1 piece of 1gb ddr3 ram. I'm waiting for my 4gb piece to come. Running on a pico psu (it now works using a molex to 4pin adapter), it idles in Windows 7 at 13-14W.

However, I've been trying really hard to get the Wake on usb working. Whenever, I put the system to sleep, it shuts down all power to the usb devices. I can't get my xbox 360 wireless controller or usb keyboard and mouse to wake the system. Was anybody able to get Wake-On-USB to work with the MSI E350IA?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WHS, SMB + NFS Problems, Media Scanning, Stuttering, Crashing0