Getting the Asrock 330HT ir-receiver & remote to work with Ubuntu 11.04 (+XBMC)
This post was originally about getting the remote to work without LIRC. I wasn't able to get a fully working setup so I abandoned those plans and am now running happily with LIRC since a couple of weeks. If anyone misses the original content of this post, please check a cached copy of it:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...100772+%22

Or the entire post as text

http://paste.ubuntu.com/613650/

Please read later in this thread for a working setup

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post798760
Tried enabling debug and observed my debug log-file while pressing buttons. On the buttons that work I can see a couple of rows for every key press. But for the buttons that don't work I don't see anything in the debug log.
Hello,

I tried to follow this tutorial, but It stops at 4.
I get the same output from ir-keytable, but then pushing -t gives no output. What am I missing?

M!
urm47 Wrote:Hello,

I tried to follow this tutorial, but It stops at 4.
I get the same output from ir-keytable, but then pushing -t gives no output. What am I missing?

Are you sure LIRC is not running?

Running 'ps ax | grep [l]irc' should show nothing. Otherwise stop it / uninstall it.
Hello,

no lirc is completely uninstalled, the only "lirc" package on the sistem is liblircclient0 which is bound to vlc and totem plugins.

$ ps ax | grep [l]irc returns nothing

$ ps ax | grep ir puts out irqbalance

Really, cant figure it out!
M!
Smile 
I was having the same problem. My remote was working out of the box with 11.04, but with wrong keymapping for xbmc (only the up, down, left, right buttons worked). After multiple tests, I finally installed LIRC (as per http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=740...tcount=476), and now it works like a charm, no problem whatsoever. I didn't even use LIRC 0.9.0 (as stated in the post), just the current version you can find using Synaptic (0.8.5), and it really works.Big GrinBig Grin

Hope this helps.
I have also given this a lot of trying but wasn't able to get it working good without LIRC. Had problem with some buttons not being mapped correctly and also repeat was horrible.

This is how I configured my system.
  • No special driver required, the in-kernel module nuvoton-cir is all you need
  • If installed, remove special ASRock provided files
  • Reboot if you had any ASrock provided files and check for loaded module
  • LIRC 0.8.7 which is provieded with Ubuntu Natty works fine
  • Remove customized XBMC Lircmap.xml, you don't need it
  • Wake on CIR / resume from suspend with remote
  • Editing system files requires sudo/root-access. One way of doing this is to start gedit with sudo-access

Verify that the kernel has loaded support for the IR receiver:

]
Code:
$ dmesg | grep -i nuvoton
[    7.668555] input: Nuvoton w836x7hg Infrared Remote Transceiver as /devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input4
[    7.668805] rc0: Nuvoton w836x7hg Infrared Remote Transceiver as /devices/virtual/rc/rc0
[    7.696340] nuvoton_cir: driver has been successfully loaded
[    7.698640] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (nuvoton-cir) registered at minor = 0

Install lirc if you don't have it

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install lirc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
lirc is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

If needed, start gedit with sudo-access to edit system files. Press alt-f2 and type 'gksudo gedit'.

Edit /etc/lirc/hardware.conf to have this content for the section REMOTE*. You just need to change this bit, leave the rest of the config as-is.

Code:
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Nuvoton Transceivers/Remotes"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev nuvoton-cir"
REMOTE_DRIVER="default"
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="remotes/mceusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

Or just download my full hardware.conf which is available here:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/608663/

Edit /etc/lirc/lircd.conf to have this content

Code:
$ cat lircd.conf
include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"

Or again, just download my full config here:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/608666/

Restart LIRC

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart
* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC                                                                                                                                                       [ OK ]
* Loading LIRC modules                                                                                                                                                                          [ OK ]
* Starting remote control daemon(s) : LIRC                                                                                                                                                      [ OK ]

Verify that the remote buttons work

Code:
$ irw
000000037ff07bdf 00 Left mceusb
000000037ff07bde 01 Right mceusb
000000037ff07be1 00 Up mceusb
000000037ff07bdd 00 OK mceusb
000000037ff07bdd 01 OK mceusb
000000037ff07be6 00 Stop mceusb

(Abort with ctrl-c)

Make sure you don't have any customized Lircmap.xml which disturbs your remote.

Code:
cd ~/.xbmc/userdata
mv Lircmap.xml Lircmap.xml.bak

To be able to resume from suspend by pressing the power button on the remote, add CIR to /proc/acpi/wakeup. Do this by adding the following to /etc/rc.local

Code:
echo CIR > /proc/acpi/wakeup

Then start XBMC and you should be able to use the remote!

RusNeuroMancer Wrote:Just 2cents for this great manual. By default in Ubuntu Natty LIRC package LIRC daemon is disabled. User should don't forget to enable it in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf:
Code:
#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"
Also lost lirc when upgrading to 11.04. Got it back with the help of Lirc-List, and was very happy until I realized I could no longer use Lirc with XBMC (or Boxee). Saw your post and realized then that I could not use lircmap.xml any more, so I have written a configuration file .lircrc.xbmc using irxevent and e.g. "config = Key Down CurrentWindow" (included with .lircrc). But I still have two remaining problems:

1. How to (toggle) mute?
2. How to text (SMS) to search boxes such as the BBC iPlayer?

Help would be very much appreciated
Found the answers myself:

1. Mute: add to .lircrc within mode = xbox prog = pulseaudio config = mute-toggle
2. Texting: same as in windows: add to keymap.xml under subsection virtual keyboard:
<zero>Number0</zero .... <nine>Number9</nine>
Not JumpSMS2 etc!

Cheers
Novin Wrote:Edit /etc/lirc/hardware.conf to have this content for the section REMOTE*. You just need to change this bit, leave the rest of the config as-is.
Just 2cents for this great manual. By default in Ubuntu Natty LIRC package LIRC daemon is disabled. User should don't forget to enable it in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf:
Code:
#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"
hi.
i have an asrock remote, i follow guide but my remote doesn't work.. the guide is valid for all nuvoton chip??

thanks
djste Wrote:hi.
i have an asrock remote, i follow guide but my remote doesn't work.. the guide is valid for all nuvoton chip??

thanks

If someone should have a chance of helping you please try to make a much more detailed explanation on what you got, what works and what not.

I think the kernel only supports one type of chip, w836x7hg.

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/IR_NUVOTON.html
ok.. sorry... when i type dmsg | grep -i nuvoton i have this output:

nuvoton w836x7hg : chip not supported, id 0x63, 0x33

but the chip w836x7hg is supported.. right?

i don't know why the remote doesn't work....

P.s. i have 2.6.38-5 kernel
djste Wrote:ok.. sorry... when i type dmsg | grep -i nuvoton i have this output:

nuvoton w836x7hg : chip not supported, id 0x63, 0x33

but the chip w836x7hg is supported.. right?

i don't know why the remote doesn't work....

P.s. i have 2.6.38-5 kernel

i have explained this already here for you: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102159

djste Wrote:nuvoton w836x7hg : chip not supported, id 0x63, 0x33

you understand what is meant?
greetings, Stephan

yes sir.. I understand but i want to write in another thread because i write a post in another forum and I want a reply from Novin, the author of the guide, about this topic....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting the Asrock 330HT ir-receiver & remote to work with Ubuntu 11.04 (+XBMC)1