Issue with DTS playback
Question 
Hi there,

I'm new to XBMC and I'm stuck on an issue which I've searched for and can't find the answer to.

The issue is with playback of DTS encoded videos (mkv container). I have a HDMI output from my Windows PC to my TV. I then have a S/PDIF output on my TV to my Denon DTS Amp (which has no HDMI input so therefore using the S/PDIF passthrough on the TV).

(I know I have an issue with DTS passthrough from the TV to the Amp where it's not supported, but I know that DD/AC3 passthrough works OK using this method in XBMC).

So the issue I'm trying to fix is this. When I play a DTS encoded movie through Media Player Classic, using the ffdshow Audio Encoder with the 'AC3 S/PDIF encode mode' ticked, I am able to listen to the DTS track in DD.

When I try the same DTS movie through XBMC, I only get a stereo input to the amp.

I've tried all the settings in the standard GUI and started to look into modifying the XML's but I don't know where to start.

Anybody have any ideas?
I've exactly the same problem.

Any new ideas?

PS: Problem is in actual nightly, too!
You audio settings in XBMC are set to proper speaker configuration and output?
From what I read I think you'll have to use SPDIF from your PC to your Amp directly. I hope you have an SPDIF output on your PC. Use HDMI only for video or video + 2CH stereo output.

My recent (Panasonic) TV only allows two channel audio to come in over HDMI. Multichannel "pass-thru" is only used when playing back internal media, such as from Viera cast or an attached USB drive.

The best option really, is to connect the PC to your amp (using HDMI - but you mention your amp doesn't support this) and then connecting through to your TV.
Using audio output type "Optical/Coax" in XBMC should do what you want.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Definitely connect your audio straight to your receiver. The few connections, the better.
I had a similar issue a while back. It was kinda the opposite but you may try the following which worked for me:

Windows sound properties -> (HDMI out/receiver) -> Configure -> set speakers to 5.1

The argument can definitely be made that "if you have XBMC configured properly you shouldn't need to set your speaker configuration as 5.1 in Windows" but you may want to give it a try as it fixed my issue...

As an AV installer, I completely agree with the others...run a digital connection directly from the PC to the receiver in which case you would be checking that output in the example above (if it doesn't just work).
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with DTS playback0