[Linux] Dualscreen : XBMC on secondary screen AND normal Ubuntu on primary screen
Ah, thanx fritsch. Then i'm off to compile it from source, hopefully without to much problems but I bet this isn't my last post in this thread Wink
@zalaam:
There are some PKGBUILDS out there that package this version of xbmc. You can join #xbmc-xvba and ask wip, as he maintains this build.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Switched to linux mint and installed xbmc-git, works perfect! Smile You can even use the screen 1 while xbmc running on screen 2 without xbmc minimizing! This isn't possible in windows afaik ...

Thank you fritsch and FernetMenta Angel
@mosroy , Thanks for your tutorial, i might try it specially to disable compiz. I have a old Video card, which has 3d acceleration, but very poor one. I tried 100 ways , different linux distribution, and xbmc video is very slow when i run it. I was wondering, if you know a way to download or install xbmc without the 3d acceleration. vlc, and mythtv works just fiine with my video card. but xbmc is superslow or it simply doesn't load. I currently have ubutnu 10.04. Please let me know if there is something that can be done
there is no way to run xbmc without 3d acceleration.
@wsnipex,, thanks for your answer, not even old versions? i read something about compiling from source without 3d, but anyway. if it is no\t possible, what is a good alternative? thanks.
Xbmcs 3D(OpenGL) GUI is a legacy from the xbox days, where everything was a "game". Changing this to a more modern 2d windowing layer is a huge undertaking.
(2014-03-14, 08:41)wsnipex Wrote: Xbmcs 3D(OpenGL) GUI is a legacy from the xbox days, where everything was a "game". Changing this to a more modern 2d windowing layer is a huge undertaking.

I don't agree with this. It's 3D graphics what makes XBMC UI rich and unique. The opposite is the case. You see desktop environments like Unity using 3D as well.
(2014-03-14, 08:41)wsnipex Wrote: Xbmcs 3D(OpenGL) GUI is a legacy from the xbox days, where everything was a "game". Changing this to a more modern 2d windowing layer is a huge undertaking.

Yes, i understand it is an undertaking, but i do not really care how the theme looks, i just want a working system. mythtv does it, but is really a pain to configure. xbmc is easier to configure..
(2014-03-14, 08:55)FernetMenta Wrote:

I don't agree with this. It's 3D graphics what makes XBMC UI rich and unique. The opposite is the case. You see desktop environments like Unity using 3D as well.

sure, everything has pros and cons. If you have rather(very) old hardware the 3d requirement is a big con though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Dualscreen : XBMC on secondary screen AND normal Ubuntu on primary screen0