This is probobly going to be the best HTPC when its released!
Well, we maybe will be able to see if it works on it in a few weeks : http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/raspb...r-2011112/
gobbledigook Wrote:i've been following R-Pi for a while now and will be getting one regardless of if it can be a HTPC or not... just because its cool Smile

hehe i almost feel the same, maybe a surf computer to my parents. Smile
Image :cool:
$25!!? That is a seriously competitive price point for any plug-in device. If it does what's promised, that could be revolutionary. Memory perhaps a bit short for serious levels of spod hacking, but meanwhile, back in the real world, you could easily install a vanilla device in your car as an ICPC..... possibly an untapped/unconsidered market right there??

Android smartphones are overkill for that purpose, and I'm thinking about how to install my Desire permanently into my car when I replace it with a Sensation next year... but that's a $300 phone right there.... an R-Pi with a small touch screen and a custom PSU for moderated 12V supply would surely be a LOT cheaper?
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:$25!!? That is a seriously competitive price point for any plug-in device. If it does what's promised, that could be revolutionary. Memory perhaps a bit short for serious levels of spod hacking, but meanwhile, back in the real world, you could easily install a vanilla device in your car as an ICPC..... possibly an untapped/unconsidered market right there??

Android smartphones are overkill for that purpose, and I'm thinking about how to install my Desire permanently into my car when I replace it with a Sensation next year... but that's a $300 phone right there.... an R-Pi with a small touch screen and a custom PSU for moderated 12V supply would surely be a LOT cheaper?

Why would u mind a adapted 12V PSU? The R-Pi is powered by a Micro USB Smile Only bummer is when u switch-off the car. But maybe it is a + point. Then u can auto sync the car with the media when in reach of your Wifi Smile
And make a auto shutdown at night Smile (cron style)

Aron
ebenupton Wrote:Hi. Can you give me an idea of how much CPU grunt you need to run your skins? We have somebody looking into porting XBMC once we get our next batch of prototypes back, and I'd like to know if it's remotely feasible.

To give you a (very, very) rough idea of the GPU performance, we run common shader-heavy benchmarks at roughly 3x the speed of an OMAP 4430.

Cheers

Eben Upton
Director, Raspberry Pi Foundation

http://www.raspberrypi.org

My God! I hope that it will work Smile This is a perfect combination! A R-Pi machine in every room Smile

Than we only need a multi XBMC remote controller Wink
video and audio aren't a problem because of the dedicated silicon, hopefully the $35 version will be up to the rest.
Been following this on both forums for awhile now.

If this work seamlessly with 1080P content running Aeon MQ themes, then this will be a bargain IMO!
I will think this is going to be better. If I have understood right, this is an better machine.

http://www.fxitech.com/

It much more expensive, but I ting I will survive that.

199 dollar. And it is Norwegian.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
bluray Wrote:well- if it can playback bd iso in 1080P with dts-hd/truehd using two hd playback options in my signatures, i'll say that it is ready for the market.

BetThat!!Nod
35 bucks? damn...
My biggest concern with the first generation of the rasberry pi isn't if it can start xbmc and play back hardware accelerated video, it's if it can handle a large xbmc library without taking an eternity to navigate menu's. I really hope in the future they release a significantly more powerful version (tegra 3, Krait, etc.) to compliment the insanely cheap version, even if it costs $99 that's still an incredible bargain!
I wonder if something allwinner A10 based would be powerfull enough for the video part. Its an 1.0-1.5 GHz Cortex A8 CPU with an Mali 400 GPU ( which powers the gfx side of the Galaxy SII), I gather its a 7$ part for volume purchases.

It would beat the Pi's CPU side, GPU side I'm not sure.

The "problem" with the way the Raspberry foundation works is that they have a long lead time since they have to consider how they spend each dime very thoughtfully. Contrast that to the Chinese tablet manufacturers who dropped the previously hot Rockchip 2918 ( which is more expensive ) so fast it it boggles the mind.
Looking forward to try it out...
illusionuk Wrote:Been following this on both forums for awhile now.

If this work seamlessly with 1080P content running Aeon MQ themes, then this will be a bargain IMO!

This just aint going to happen. As soon as you start getting more and more in your database it will grind to a halt. Playback on the thing will be ok but browsing a large media collection will be a no go imho.

touser Wrote:My biggest concern with the first generation of the rasberry pi isn't if it can start xbmc and play back hardware accelerated video, it's if it can handle a large xbmc library without taking an eternity to navigate menu's. I really hope in the future they release a significantly more powerful version (tegra 3, Krait, etc.) to compliment the insanely cheap version, even if it costs $99 that's still an incredible bargain!

Think you are missing the point of what the Pi is about. Its not designed to be a cheap media rig its for kids to learn how to program on. Also considering the head guy works for Broadcom who make the soc its using I somehow dont think you are going to see 3rd party soc's like nVidia ones in there lol.
MrTourettes Wrote:Think you are missing the point of what the Pi is about. Its not designed to be a cheap media rig its for kids to learn how to program on. Also considering the head guy works for Broadcom who make the soc its using I somehow dont think you are going to see 3rd party soc's like nVidia ones in there lol.

Right, that was my fear, which confirms that all of the hype surrounding this thing and xbmc is completely unjustified. Who cares how cheap it is if it's unusably slow for the application, i just wish there was an open equivalent to the apple tv on the market without having to play the jailbreak cat and mouse game. It's disappointing the the revo 1600 was the "golden era" of htpc equipment and that it has only gotten more expensive with time to buy a new system capable of handling a a large library and 1080p. I'm sure eventually something will come out but i don't see anything on the horizon beyond the next-gen apple tv Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This is probobly going to be the best HTPC when its released!1