This is probobly going to be the best HTPC when its released!
If it does what they say and for that price its unbeatable!

Thoughts?

Specs taken from the Homepage:

Quote: 700MHz ARM11
128MB of SDRAM
OpenGL ES 2.0
1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
Composite and HDMI video output
USB 2.0
SD/MMC/SDIO memory card slot
General-purpose I/O
Open software (Ubuntu, Iceweasel, KOffice, Python)

http://bit.ly/jyBFNY

-gob
Look good.

Best is a bit much though. Small and capable more like it.
well not best performance, but aslong as you can play 1080p movies you wouldnt need any more performance. And of that price..

-gob
Performance can make the general user experience better with more to it than just being able to play the video. My AppleTV can play some 1080p files but the extra performance my HTPC gives me is the worth the extra effort/money.

1080p movies can range from a 2GB poorly encoded file to a 40GB high bitrate uncompressed blu-ray rip with HD audio.

I do agree that a cheap device that small that can work as a semi-decent HTPC is good.
Just because it has support for opengl es 2 doesn't mean it can do our interface. Xbmc is quite heavy to render as is. My bet is if its retailing at $25 its at most as powerful as the beagle c4 (and even that is unlikely) the beagle c4 can't power normal skins at 720. So yes it might be perfect for mplayer and lxde, doubtful for xbmc.

Without real specs its impossible to say.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hi. Can you give me an idea of how much CPU grunt you need to run your skins? We have somebody looking into porting XBMC once we get our next batch of prototypes back, and I'd like to know if it's remotely feasible.

To give you a (very, very) rough idea of the GPU performance, we run common shader-heavy benchmarks at roughly 3x the speed of an OMAP 4430.

Cheers

Eben Upton
Director, Raspberry Pi Foundation

http://www.raspberrypi.org
you could always download it yourself and test it Wink
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
I take it the work trying to get XBMC working with beagleboard as seen in "working with dirty regions" never got too far?

And the SoC is Broadcom BCM2835 according to http://www.raspberrypi.org if that helps.

topfs2 Wrote:Just because it has support for opengl es 2 doesn't mean it can do our interface. Xbmc is quite heavy to render as is. My bet is if its retailing at $25 its at most as powerful as the beagle c4 (and even that is unlikely) the beagle c4 can't power normal skins at 720. So yes it might be perfect for mplayer and lxde, doubtful for xbmc.

Without real specs its impossible to say.

Cheers,
Tobias
ebenupton Wrote:Hi. Can you give me an idea of how much CPU grunt you need to run your skins? We have somebody looking into porting XBMC once we get our next batch of prototypes back, and I'd like to know if it's remotely feasible.

To give you a (very, very) rough idea of the GPU performance, we run common shader-heavy benchmarks at roughly 3x the speed of an OMAP 4430.

Cheers

Eben Upton

well- if it can playback bd iso in 1080P with dts-hd/truehd using two hd playback options in my signatures, i'll say that it is ready for the market.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
+1 bluray
I read that it wouldn't support digital audio via HDMI. Is this true?
T800 Wrote:I read that it wouldn't support digital audio via HDMI. Is this true?
if it is true, it is not ready for dts-ht/truehd.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Well, unless the hardware is way more powerful than I'm expecting then I simply can't agree it'll be a perfect HTPC. It IS cheap, but even if the ARM chip is twice as fast as an equivalently specced x64/x86 based PC, then it still won't be able to decode in software fast enough to offer the redundancy it needs for me to call it perfect.

Whilst it'll be able to offload most H264 to the GPU, if the 10bit h.264 which the anime scene is already starting to adopt takes off across the board, there's no way something like this could deal with, it just isn't fast enough.

That said if it does what it says on the tin, and has all the software built in, I guess it could be the best HTPC anywhere near it's price.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
ebenupton Wrote:Hi. Can you give me an idea of how much CPU grunt you need to run your skins? We have somebody looking into porting XBMC once we get our next batch of prototypes back, and I'd like to know if it's remotely feasible.

Cheers

Eben Upton

well based on this, I'm a customer for sure
i've been following R-Pi for a while now and will be getting one regardless of if it can be a HTPC or not... just because its cool Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This is probobly going to be the best HTPC when its released!1