XMBC on custom Linux HTPC
Hey all, this is the first time i am using XMBC so please excuse m if i say dumb stuff.
I want an HTPC with a very large hard drive that can run XMBC. Is here a a way I can use some kind of a remote and not a mouse/keyboard for this? I want the PC to run Windows 7, but to use the remote input with only XMBC. Also, do you have any recommendations for a PC like this - large HDD, Blu-Ray drive, shaped like a box, small & easy to put in a clustered area, also with full 1080p HDMI output.
You're throwing all kind of questions in the same post. First of all, build the machine. AFAIK, XBMC can run on several type of configs and machines, I've installed it from GIT on my slackware htpc, yes it was a nightmare, but it worked.

Regarding the specs, I suggest posting on hardware oriented forums such as tomshardware or others like that. My htpc built last November has the following specs:

ASUS M4A785-M mobo (all you need for a htpc even more), 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1 40GB SSD, Nvidia Gt430, 1TB HDD for local storage/ripping or recording, etc. You see nothing exotic. I bought a Lian Li case, made for htpc's. Anted make some of them, Cooler master too, just google around and you'll see tons of recommendations ands reviews.

You can use a remote or a standard keyboard to control your htpc. At first, I suggest a normal USB keyboard if you never played around that stuff. It will be less frustrating to edit files, navigate in the OS, etc... Then whenever you have a functional setup, buy a remote and configure it with lirc (linux) or whatever you will use in windows.

Building a functional htpc with xbmc from scratch (both hardware and software) can be quite a challenge and require a fair amount of effort. Especially if you go down the linux road... It also depends on your final expectations. For myself, my htpc is located right below my LCD tv in my living room. I consider it as an appliance, not a computer per-se. Thats why whenever something is running the way it should be, I will not touch it again. I have a normal user account to use the htpc, and under this account, I only have execution rights, no admin rights whatsoever. I have a full clone of the machine (troughly 12GB) on my local server so if the machine dies, I can rebuild it in a timely fashion.

Now I noticed that you inquired about windows 7. You are in the wrong section of the forum. This section is for Linux editions/Live XBMC.

I suggest moving this thread to the windows forums.

I hope this helps
two words

Asrock HT
Sorry about that!
Like I said, I'm a newbie in this field and I have almost no clue about how to build a computer. Is there a commercially available option? Also, I have heard people talk about using modded original Xboxes running XBMC as HTPCs. I have also hear of some Popcorn thing which is similar. Also, I mentioned Windows 7 because I get a lot of my content from iTunes, and Luinux does not support iTunes.
again two words ASROCK HT

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2009/11/09/a...ini-htpcs/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBC on custom Linux HTPC0