Choosing new software for my media server
Hey,

I've been using a server (cheap AM3 CPU and Mobo, gfx card integrated, 2x 2TB harddisks), running Ubuntu for quite some time now. I was thinking about upgrading to something different though.

I only have MKVs, Music and Software like Games on my Server, I don't really care for RAID or backups.

While I'm quite familiar with Linux distros like Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, I have no idea of FreeBSD whatsoever.

I'm really interested FreeNAS though and think it might be a good choice.

BUT:

1) Is ZFS really a good scenario for this purpose or should I just follow the easy road and stick with Ubuntu/Debian?
What's the best way to merge two disks? I use mhddfs on my current, which is a peasent solution compared to ZFS volumes etc, but it does the job quite well.

2) What about unRAID, I've read a few good things about it here. But can it actually run Deluge and Flexget without the need to compile it from source? I'm not keen on writing Init-Scripts for Deluge either. I'm used to that 99% of my software is available as a deb or in a PPA.
What Distro is unRAID based on?

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,
p1lot
What do you want to do that you currently aren't able to do with Ubuntu?

Or you're just looking for a change?
You won't really care for backups until you lose a disk or two.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
I just want to try out something new.
have you considered ubuntu or windows with flex raid on top of it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choosing new software for my media server0