Crashes while importing/adding to library
There are not any real errors in the log files you have posted. But you have not done anything in XBMC to cause a problem. You have not attempted to access the shares. Browsing the library only accesses the database.

When you configure it to use MySQL, it does not need to to use the sources unless you are adding new media from that machine.

If you are not adding media on the ATV2 you don't even need any sources on it.

When you play something in the library it will use the path information from the database - which includes the source information.

Try to play something or try and update a source. Then you will find out if you need the username and password.

If the SMB server is configured for guest access the username and password are not needed.
g-off Wrote:There are not any real errors in the log files you have posted. But you have not done anything in XBMC to cause a problem. You have not attempted to access the shares. Browsing the library only accesses the database.

When you configure it to use MySQL, it does not need to to use the sources unless you are adding new media from that machine.

If you are not adding media on the ATV2 you don't even need any sources on it.

When you play something in the library it will use the path information from the database - which includes the source information.

Try to play something or try and update a source. Then you will find out if you need the username and password.

If the SMB server is configured for guest access the username and password are not needed.

Well I thought I was all squared away but this post raises more questions on TOP of the fact that my ATV2 isn't working (here's the log http://pastebin.com/WYgeb9Ay). I was getting the same 'NEWER version Error' on my HTPC until I updated that XBMC version to the nightly, but after seeing this in my log on my ATV2 I RE-updated the ATV2 to the latest nightly and still got this error.

I apologize for my total noobishness, but this line, "You have not attempted to access the shares. Browsing the library only accesses the database." doesn't make sense to me. By accessing, do you mean, for example, playing a video? and Browsing, do you just mean looking at what video files are in there, in say the Movies window?

I won't be adding media from my ATV2 but my Movies and TV Shows still aren't showing up on the Home Screen. Its having the same issue my HTPc was having, in that when I go to the Videos Window->Files I see Movies and TV Shows, but if I bring up the Context Menu and try to Set Content nothing happens.

Just to reiterate, both my ATV2 and XBMC are on the latest nightly build, though obviously they are Darwin and Win32 respectively.

Again thank you so much for your help.
seth.feinberg Wrote:Well I thought I was all squared away but this post raises more questions on TOP of the fact that my ATV2 isn't working (here's the log http://pastebin.com/WYgeb9Ay). I was getting the same 'NEWER version Error' on my HTPC until I updated that XBMC version to the nightly, but after seeing this in my log on my ATV2 I RE-updated the ATV2 to the latest nightly and still got this error.

All machines accessing the database have to be on the same version database. I don't know what versions are being used - as I don't do the Mysql thing.

seth.feinberg Wrote:I apologize for my total noobishness, but this line, "You have not attempted to access the shares. Browsing the library only accesses the database." doesn't make sense to me. By accessing, do you mean, for example, playing a video? and Browsing, do you just mean looking at what video files are in there, in say the Movies window?

When you scroll through the stuff in your library you use just looking at the database. XMBC only talks to the NAS when you play a file or try and scan new stuff into the library.

seth.feinberg Wrote:I won't be adding media from my ATV2 but my Movies and TV Shows still aren't showing up on the Home Screen. Its having the same issue my HTPc was having, in that when I go to the Videos Window->Files I see Movies and TV Shows, but if I bring up the Context Menu and try to Set Content nothing happens.

It sounds like the sources are not working on the ATV2. But you should not need them anyway. If the database is working you should see all the files in the library.

I think the first thing you should do is disable all the database stuff and concentrate on getting your nas connectivity fixed up.

When you can access the NAS from both clients with the same source configuration then put the database stuff back on and scan them into the library from the PC.
g-off Wrote:If you are setting up MySQL, why do you need to put the library onto the ATV2. I thought the idea was to get it off there?

You have to import through an XBMC client to populate the MYSQL database. The ATV2 copy imports it, but sends the data to the MYSQL server.
g-off Wrote:All machines accessing the database have to be on the same version database. I don't know what versions are being used - as I don't do the Mysql thing.

When you scroll through the stuff in your library you use just looking at the database. XBMC only talks to the NAS when you play a file or try and scan new stuff into the library.

It sounds like the sources are not working on the ATV2. But you should not need them anyway. If the database is working you should see all the files in the library.

I think the first thing you should do is disable all the database stuff and concentrate on getting your nas connectivity fixed up.

When you can access the NAS from both clients with the same source configuration then put the database stuff back on and scan them into the library from the PC.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I wanted to start from scratch before I came back. Long story short, I have a working MySQL database and just want to share my method.

First I deleted all sources from all my XBMCs. I have all my metadata stored in folders of my movies/TV shows so the rebuild doesn't take THAT long. I still had some "phantom" libraries left in my ATV and HTPC so I went into userdata/Databases subfolder and deleted any .db file with music and/or video in the name. I was then left with 2 empty xbmc installations. I then deleted both the MySQL databases I had created before just to make sure I was starting from scratch.

Now on to actually setting everything up. I added both sources to my HTPC by way of the sources.xml file. This way I could make sure it was referring to my NAS by the internal IP and not its assigned name (also I could also prepend with a username and password i.e. xbmc:xbmc@). After it built both those databases I tested the thumbnail portion, moving the Thumbnail directory from my HTPC to my NAS and using a path substitution in the advancedsettings.xml file. When I knew that was working correctly THEN I created xbmc_video and xbmc_music in MySQL (and gave user xbmc access) and added the appropriate info to the advancedsettings.xml.

When everything up to this point was working correctly only then did I go to my ATV2. It was still empty when I added both the advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml from the HTPC to the ATV2. It worked! The only hiccup was that on the ATV2 I had to add a xbmc:xbmc@ in front of the path substitution directory in advancedsettings.xml and made sure the xbmc user had read/write access to the folder holding my thumbnails directory.

g-off, Thanks again for all your help. I did this on a Synology 1511+ running DSM 3.2. So, if anybody else has some questions about how I did the set up, I'd be happy to try to share my experiences. My only issue is that the ATV2 appears to be running pretty slow with MySQL. I remember in my extensive googling, seeing a post on the forums with some tips on speeding it up, but I didn't play around with it too much, so it could've just been slow due to it still catching up to its initial set up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crashes while importing/adding to library0