ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel
(2020-05-18, 05:19)bluesight Wrote: I used the "fallback to lirc 0.9.0" on my previous Ubuntu 18.04 install, and it worked (eventually). I am not thrilled with that method, so like others, I have been looking for alternatives, especially before upgrading to 20.04. Still, it's good to see the fallback will still work. I'm checking the using ir-keytable, which kind of works but doesn't stay restricted to Kodi...button presses have effects across the system. In Kodi, some keys like Guide and LiveTV get you to the right place. Some don't work at all (FFW, Record). Others cause actions outside Kodi, For example Volume up/down/mute show system level controls rather than inside Kodi, Others, like "Print", cause a system level screen copy. It looks like this is doing real keyboard key mapping rather than remote button mapping, and without full Lirc, I'm not (yet) sure where the remote mapping can be prioritized. If anyone has had success with this, please post the details.

Another method I have't yet tried recommends putting the remote on an X blacklist. Haven't seen much more about that since....Again, any direct experience would be welcome...

Tnx
b
I'm the one who experimented the blacklist method.
I'm not using an Ubuntu distribution anymore, now I'm using an arch based distribution.
But the rules are the same.
It's an xorg problem.
So you have first to disable the remote in xorg, and then configure lirc.
In my experience there's no difference from old and newer version of lirc, they both work perfectly (with my mce remote).
The real problem is xorg.
BTW: didn't manage to successfully use ir-keytable (worked with older distributions). Only lirc works.
Bye,
sdf
Thanks for the response. I think I'll put the effort into making this work after the 20.04 upgrade. If not, I guess the lirc 0.9.0 fallback is always an option. Too bad about ir-keytable. it seemed so promising...
Again...
b
(2018-07-22, 13:45)User 29008 Wrote: Hey, since this thread is a bit old already I figure that people are hardly having trouble with ir-keytable or are rarely using it. Anyway, I hope someone still reads this and can help me, since I decided to also get rid of lirc with my new gear ... first of all, I am using a classic MCE remote RC6 protocol with original Microsoft USB IR receiver.
I uninstalled everything lirc related, and started setting up ir-keytable according to howtos. Worked pretty quickly and basically without problems. I can test the remote using ir-keytable and all buttons are recognized. I took the rc6_mce table file to /etc/rc-keymaps and started to adjust the keys, since some of them weren't working with the default key file (like Back, Info, Menu etc.) Basic buttons did work directly like Up/Down and so on.
I activated debug logging in kodi to see which keys are hit in kodi.log.

Lets take the Back key as an example. In the keymap file it's labeled KEY_EXIT by default This isn't recognized at all by kodi. No entries in kodi.log when hitting the back button on the remote. So I adjusted it to KEY_BACKSPACE and then also to KEY_BACK. Both tries also failed, no reaction in kodi.log. Then I tried to put a working KEY on the back button, I took KEY_UP. And voila, back button on the remote sends KEY_UP to kodi. So the button works, it's a question of the right "KEY" declarations in the mapping file for kodi to recognize it.
So my question is .... do I have a problem with keymap.xml? I took a look at it, it's from 2014 on my installation ... should I get a new one? I also attached it here to the post.

Is there a kinda KEY mapping documentation for ir-keytable to figure out, how the KEY_Huh names in the keymap file of ir-keytable have to look like to map correctly to kodi commands?

As second example, the Info button doesn't work either, same as with the Back key. I tried KEY_INFO and KEY_I in the ir-keytable keymap file. Both aren'T recognized by Kodi. What I don't get is, why all of the keys work using a regular keyboard .... hitting I gives me Info as expected, and Backspace takes me one level back. So that kind tells me, that my keyboard.xml file for kodi is basically working as it should, or not?

Thanks for any help,

boba
Saw this post from some time back and it got my attention. Using LibreELEC on a RPi1 with a Samsung ir remote. I've been able to get it to work ok except for the "RETURN" key. Like boba, I tried mapping it to KEY_EXIT and to "KEY_PREVIOUS" to get it to work same as the "EXIT" key on the remote, but it doesn't do anything. I have noticed that it 'wakes' the screen up if it is dimed and did some weird thing when I was trying to download subtitles (started payback).
I tried following the links suggested in answer to this post but didn't really find any answer. I'm using just kernel ir and ir-table, no LIRC.
So my question to anyone is what KEY should the "RETURN" remote button be assigned to? Scan code is 0x70758.
Can you have more than one scan code assigned to the same KEY_?? in your table file? Does it matter which one is first in the file?
Thanks,
OtG
Re-tried using KEY_EXIT and it works now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ir-keytable or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about the LIRC Kernel0