Profiles - am I missing something..
First - thanks to all involved in creating XBMC I have used for years and it just gets better & better..Your hard work is appreciated.

Now to my issue....

I am trying to sort out my library on my new HTPC, my issue is with profiles, my aim is to have one profile for adult content (things i don't want my kids to access!!) and one profile for mainstream content.

I have set up the profile for the adult content, I have set that profile with a profile lock and pin. My issue is I need to have master lock enabled on the main profile to do this! That means I have to give anyone who wants access to the mainstream profile (family content) the master lock code as it is required if I want to set the profile lock on the "adult only profile".
My issue is if I do this anyone can then change and access the other profile!

The only way around this would seem to be to have 3 profiles;

The main profile - With master lock. (not used for viewing, but only used for setting up the other profiles)
The family profile - with no lock - anyone can access.
The Adult profile - with profile lock.

Is this the only way round this as it seems long winded? All I am trying to achieve is have easy assess to mainstream content without any passwords and restricted access to anything that is not suitable for kids.

Other issue seems to be, if I use the adult profile and then quite out, it then loads as the default profile next time! The only way round this is to have a log on screen and then I am into passwords again.

any help would be appreciated.

many thanks,
Zimpker Wrote:First - thanks to all involved in creating XBMC I have used for years and it just gets better & better..Your hard work is appreciated.

Now to my issue....

I am trying to sort out my library on my new HTPC, my issue is with profiles, my aim is to have one profile for adult content (things i don't want my kids to access!!) and one profile for mainstream content.

I have set up the profile for the adult content, I have set that profile with a profile lock and pin. My issue is I need to have master lock enabled on the main profile to do this! That means I have to give anyone who wants access to the mainstream profile (family content) the master lock code as it is required if I want to set the profile lock on the "adult only profile".
My issue is if I do this anyone can then change and access the other profile!

The only way around this would seem to be to have 3 profiles;

The main profile - With master lock. (not used for viewing, but only used for setting up the other profiles)
The family profile - with no lock - anyone can access.
The Adult profile - with profile lock.

Is this the only way round this as it seems long winded? All I am trying to achieve is have easy assess to mainstream content without any passwords and restricted access to anything that is not suitable for kids.

Other issue seems to be, if I use the adult profile and then quite out, it then loads as the default profile next time! The only way round this is to have a log on screen and then I am into passwords again.

any help would be appreciated.

many thanks,

1. If you want quick access w/o password, the idea is to program one key to toggle between 2 profiles (by having 2 different keyboard.xml files that defines this key to load the other profile when you press it). The original thread in that one of the XBMC developers showed us how to do this is here. Each of my 2 profiles have a keyboard.xml file as followed:

The default userdata keyboard.xml (therefore is the master user) contains this

Code:
<global>
    <keyboard>
      <w   mod="ctrl">LoadProfile(bodhi)</w>
    </keyboard>
  </global>

and

And the bodhi profile keyboard.xml contains this

Code:
<global>
    <keyboard>
      <w mod="ctrl">LoadProfile(Master User)</w>
     </keyboard>
  </global>

So whenever I press Ctrl-W XBMC will switch to the other profile.

2. I've set it up so that it will always load the master user profile by setting the last loaded profile Id value to 0 in the profile.xml and change the file property to "read only" so it will never change. See this thread. But note that if you put the HTPC to sleep without exiting XBMC, then the currently selected profile will be the same one. To take advantage of this default value, you'll have to exit XBMC and start XBMC, to ensure that master user profile will be the one by default.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Profiles - am I missing something..0