New to ATV2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23diablo23 Offline
I'm trying to set a ATV2 up for a friend that does not have a network at home. I know you cannot hook a USB HDD to the ATV2, but can you hook a NAS up to it with a crossover cable? Anyone try this? The other option is to put a router between them but don't want to waste the money if we don't need to.

Thanks!
23Diablo23
find quote
Nefarious1 Offline
I have not personally tried it, but logic says it would work.
find quote
amet Offline
How do ya like them apples?
yeah, provided you set static IP on both

Always read the XBMC_Online_Manual,Frequently_Asked_Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log_file.
find quote
SandmanCL Offline
Multi-platform XBMC fan
If you have a NAS with an auto-uplink network port you don't even need a crossover cable. A regular straight-through cat5 would do.

However, I would assume that you'd pay more for a NAS than you would for an external hard drive and a router with a USB port to connect the hard drive to. I've seen 2TB external drives for less than $100 and I picked up my Wireless G router a year ago for $40 so I'm sure you can find them much cheaper today.
find quote
xbs08 Offline
Posting Freak
@SandmanCL
What's your router model?

I'm using one from my ISP but only supports FAT32 and it's damn slow (write).

TIA

Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH | Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB | SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD | Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
find quote
SandmanCL Offline
Multi-platform XBMC fan
Not at home right now so I'm not positive of the router model but it is a Netgear router that I have flashed with dd-wrt. This may be outside the scope of what the OP wants but I know several routers provide access to a USB mounted drive.
find quote