Download subtitles for a whole series / folder
Question 
I've set up so that the XBMC Subtitle addon works perfectly, whenever I start a tvshow, I can just push the Subtitle-button and the first synced subtitles downloads. Works great.

But Im wondering if there is any way that I could point to a folder and make XBMC download subtitles for all the episodes in that folder?

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

P
I am also looking for a solution for this. Is this possible?

Ideally, all from the same source. If only the second one is in sync, 10 to 1 that this is the case for all episodes in a season.

Anyone has any pointers on this?
Try Xubuntu. It's the new Ubuntu.
well, xbmc subtitles cant do it and likely will never be able to do it Smile

here is why, we first check for subtitles via hash algorithm, if that matches we use it if not we search by name. there is no guaranties that if the episode 1 is a match and in sync, that episode 2 will be as well, its not accurate and the user cant make the choice.

its only a click away anyhow Smile
Thanks for the information. The plugin is very nice indeed.

One thing though, things like:
amet Wrote:its only a click away anyhow Smile
can never be a valid argument.

For example, when you copy a season from your media center to your smartphone and would like all subtitles with it.

I know it's not XBMC's main purpose, but there can be a rainbow of reasons why this is awesome. Just sayin, not to demotivate anyone who might want to make a season subtitle script. Smile
Redsandro Wrote:Thanks for the information. The plugin is very nice indeed.

One thing though, things like:

can never be a valid argument.

yeah, more of a joke though, but noone seems to have a sense of humor these days

Redsandro Wrote:For example, when you copy a season from your media center to your smartphone and would like all subtitles with it.

you just copy the srt files with avi/mkv files as well, dont see how the subtitle script fits in here

Redsandro Wrote:I know it's not XBMC's main purpose, but there can be a rainbow of reasons why this is awesome. Just sayin, not to demotivate anyone who might want to make a season subtitle script. Smile

I can do it in 20(or 120) lines of python code, my point is that its not accurate and cannot be made accurate as we dont know whats hiding in season zip, and if the current subtitle is fine we dont know that other 23 are a match as well
amet Wrote:yeah, more of a joke though, but noone seems to have a sense of humor these days
What did one regex say to the other?
.*

Quote:dont see how the subtitle script fits in here
You only put seasons on your phone you haven't watched before, so you would need to do 24 times - play, subtitle, choose source, pick result, stop and next - before you copy the season over.

Imagine a script that remembers your first choice and chooses the same option for all episodes. It's like I said, when the second subtitle from the second source url is the right one, 10 to 1 I can blindly choose the second subtitle from the same source for all episodes within the season.

-edit-

In fact, on XBMC itself, I always remember which one I chose and choose the same one for other episodes because that one is usually the single correct one. I think the plugin itself could even benefit from remembering that you chose the nth result from the xth source for this season, and start with that one selected next time you search for subtitles, or even download that one automatically on first try. This has the added plus of making a "download entire season's subtitles" function easier.
Redsandro Wrote:You only put seasons on your phone you haven't watched before, so you would need to do 24 times - play, subtitle, choose source, pick result, stop and next - before you copy the season over.

unless you get an iPhone and run xbmc on it Big Grin

Redsandro Wrote:Imagine a script that remembers your first choice and chooses the same option for all episodes. It's like I said, when the second subtitle from the second source url is the right one, 10 to 1 I can blindly choose the second subtitle from the same source for all episodes within the season.

-edit-

In fact, on XBMC itself, I always remember which one I chose and choose the same one for other episodes because that one is usually the single correct one. I think the plugin itself could even benefit from remembering that you chose the nth result from the xth source for this season, and start with that one selected next time you search for subtitles, or even download that one automatically on first try. This has the added plus of making a "download entire season's subtitles" function easier.

I still dont agree with the "logic" that if one is correct the others will be as well.

the only way I think this could be done is to search for the next episode subtitle based on the location of the current episode file. but that would then be a separate search and would not be looking for the subs in the season.zip we downloaded already

or we could do a GUI-less hash search for all the files in the current folder and download first "sync" sub that we find for each.

bah, not sure of this, it takes me 3 seconds to automatically download the subtitle in sync so I really never thought about adding this in, never thought anyone will be needing the feature, ever Smile
Naah, I don't want to offend you, noting your avatar, but I'd rather sniff my own finger than buy an iPhone. Tongue

amet Wrote:I still dont agree with the "logic" that if one is correct the others will be as well.

So, either you don't really get what I mean, or you have never tried it, because you would have noted that it works like this. It's just how it is, how I experienced it to be.

Usually when you have a season of something, it's like this for the first episode:

subblah: 0 results
blahtitle: 2 results, 1 'sync' result that autodownloads but is totally wrong
titleblah: 5 results, from which the 2nd one is perfect.

It turns out that almost always, for every show in the rest of the season, you can directly pick the 2nd result from the 3rd search engine because this one is usually right and the rest is usually wrong.
Redsandro Wrote:Naah, I don't want to offend you, noting your avatar, but I'd rather sniff my own finger than buy an iPhone. Tongue

while you are sniffing yours, I'll use mine to download subs on my iPhone via xbmc :p :p

Redsandro Wrote:So, either you don't really get what I mean, or you have never tried it, because you would have noted that it works like this. It's just how it is, how I experienced it to be.

Usually when you have a season of something, it's like this for the first episode:

subblah: 0 results
blahtitle: 2 results, 1 'sync' result that autodownloads but is totally wrong
titleblah: 5 results, from which the 2nd one is perfect.

It turns out that almost always, for every show in the rest of the season, you can directly pick the 2nd result from the 3rd search engine because this one is usually right and the rest is usually wrong.

I get what you are saying, but its still not 100% reliable solution.

also I dont want to hit service api 24 times to download the season and we have no way of knowing if its correct. last time I spoke to Brano, OpenSubtitles owner, he was geting 200 hits per second on his server, ofc we are not to blame for all that but believe me we do take a significant resources from them.

if downloading "sync" ones is acceptable I might work on that

cheers
amet
It's not 100% reliable, but so is downloading any subtitle. Unless you have a lucky 'sync' in the first search url, you probably download a handful of subs before you got a correct one.

Your second point however is very valid, we don't want to get barred.

If there is a time and place were you would work on a sync-only solution, that would be appreciated! But won't that give the same problems? Mythbusters for example usually auto-downloads a 'sync' sub from a completely different series.
Two ideas to speed up the process of downloading subs.

1) Would it be possible to launch the XBMC subtitles script from the video list ? This way, the process could be faster.

2) It's maybe simple for many users, but I struggled to add a shortcut to open the script with just one key (h in my case), so I'm posting it for users who might be interested.
In the keymap.xml file, write this:
Code:
<keymap>
<FullscreenVideo>
<keyboard>
<h>Runscript(script.xbmc.subtitles)</h>
</keyboard>
</FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

@Redsandro This is not the perfect solution, but it will save you a couple of clicks when you download subtitles!

Also, a great missing shortcut to adjust subtitle offset with the letter "Q":
Code:
<q>subtitledelay</q>
Sounds nice.

Do you know how to know the names of media keys? I have a remote control for XBMC, only media keys, but it is detected as a keyboard.
I think you can use 'showkey' application (you'll have to search here or google for it). If not then I believe you can use debug mode to find out what is being pressed. Thats as far as my memory goes.
Hi there Australian here I think original poster has a top idea and his logic of if you pick one most likely everything will be the the same is not perfect but spot on the money as far as as I'm concerned I have an aunt who cares for disabled children and I set up xmbc on her tv pc for her and 100's of kids movies but not being able to get the Internet out were she lives (very country) I bring it to my place to update ect but now she has a hearing limited child in her care I need to do every movie with subtitles and a pick folder or auto subtitle downloader would be perfect for the situation I am in right now

Cheers and if anyone figures one out please message me... im loosing my s$&@ downloading these one by one

Peaces

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Download subtitles for a whole series / folder1