• 3(current)
Cheapest HTPC build. Need help finding the cheapest hardware.
Magic Tongue
I know this is the wrong section. But could someone point me toward how to rip my DVD collection to my hard drive to where all the menues and everything are usable. Basically the DVD experiance minus the DVD disc lol. Thanks a ton.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlVcFSmR9dg
hi eskro

my parents wants me to build em a htpc

what about this

asus M4N68T-M V2(amd proc, NVIDIA Geforce 7025/nForce 630a) does this have hdmi?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N68TM_V2
amd athlon am3 x2 260
stock cooling and fans(has anybody have problem with am3 x2 260 stock fans noise?)
cheapest seagate 2tb drive
cheapest 2gb kingston ram
any case is fine
eskro Wrote:because of driver issues regarding ATI + Linux,,,
for Linux, its Nvidia chipset that works best driver wise...

The eternally blamed ATI-Linux driver issue has been mostly resolved with the splitted-desktop libva library. Let's stop repeating Ad nauseam forum posts from 2009, since the solution has been working since at least early 2010. Even on AMD's ATI linux page in the Catalyst dev blog there is the instructions on getting hardware accel working on Linux. I got my Zotac AD01 AMD 1.5ghz+ATIHD3200 XBMC running on top of 10.04.2 and playing 1920x1020 1080p content stutterless and with no deal-breaking issue. It streams content from the web as well and plays my DVD's. I have a PROBOX attached to it via esata port with 4 2TB drives. It has 1038 movies in it and about 1200 episodes of several tv series.
ATI VAAPI is not in testing phase in my setup. It is in production for me.
peter_toyota Wrote:The eternally blamed ATI-Linux driver issue has been mostly resolved with the splitted-desktop libva library. Let's stop repeating Ad nauseam forum posts from 2009, since the solution has been working since at least early 2010. Even on AMD's ATI linux page in the Catalyst dev blog there is the instructions on getting hardware accel working on Linux. I got my Zotac AD01 AMD 1.5ghz+ATIHD3200 XBMC running on top of 10.04.2 and playing 1920x1020 1080p content stutterless and with no deal-breaking issue. It streams content from the web as well and plays my DVD's. I have a PROBOX attached to it via esata port with 4 2TB drives. It has 1038 movies in it and about 1200 episodes of several tv series.
ATI VAAPI is not in testing phase in my setup. It is in production for me.

Thank you! I am trying to make this point already for a while. As far as I know, ESKRO is running win7 and probably never used Linux; just repeating old info.

Right now, ATI on Linux is a little more difficult to get everything running. This will soon change (updated kernels, distributions), so than this discussing is over for ever.

So please stop telling this ATI/AMD-is-no-good-for-linux-bullshit. Heck, for more than a year, this company is surprising us with lots of good choices related to open source.
Quote:Thank you! I am trying to make this point already for a while. As far as I know, ESKRO is running win7 and probably never used Linux; just repeating old info.

Right now, ATI on Linux is a little more difficult to get everything running. This will soon change (updated kernels, distributions), so than this discussing is over for ever.

So please stop telling this ATI/AMD-is-no-good-for-linux-bullshit. Heck, for more than a year, this company is surprising us with lots of good choices related to open source.
Using AMD (same goes to intel) on linux is harder cuz you must compile xbmc (to enable va-api)
nemek Wrote:Using AMD (same goes to intel) on linux is harder cuz you must compile xbmc (to enable va-api)

All on devs on teamXBMC are on ATOM/Nvidia so they don't see the need to do this, while its just a switch in the build proces (not affecting anything else!). There is no sane reason for keeping this away from all the users....

Same goes for XBMLive, still not enabled for AMD users.

It is crazy that XBMC is still not working out of the box on the best HTPC platform today.
I have an AMD box with a Radeon HD 4550 and it runs just fine on linux with xbmc. Maybe a few stutters on 1080p for high bitrate frames, but that's more of a vid-card bottleneck.
don't want to double post.
I wrote up my configuration of my finished XBMC setup!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=8...post827428

Video:

http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=0BBA805D09AFB1B3
Eskro, is the build in your first post only that sorta price range in the USA? Stuff seems to be so expensive over here in the UK
yes, prices are in USA,,,
dont worry, stuff is really expensive too here in Canada :/

USA has the cheapest prices overall...
Ok, now that I'm built and running, it's time to do a 1:1 clone of my hard drives as a backup. Anyone know what the current software for that is? Norton Ghost, Clonezilla Live, or just old school dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror
i currently use DriveSnaphot....

other apps i used too that work great are:
- Macrium Reflect
- Acronis True Image
- Shadow Protect Desktop
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest HTPC build. Need help finding the cheapest hardware.1