Overscan issue between 720p and 1080p displays?
I have an ATV2 (running 4.2.1 at the moment) with a 1080P Plasma (Panasonic VT20) and a Panasonic AX200E (720p) projector.

My amp is an Onkyo SR608 and the ATV is connected to the amp. The Amp is doing a 720 -> 1080 conversion internally, and is outputting to an HDMI splitter feeding both the TV and the projector.

My issue is that with the ATV2 and XBMC, on the Plasma screen, there's a heap (maybe 3-4%) of overscan and I am missing the scrolling menus, time etc. On the Projector, it's pixel perfect.

I can of course in XBMC calibrate to make it fit the TV, but then it's underscanning on the projector. Very annoying.

I have confirmed the amp is outputting 1080p to both the TV and projector (both have status displays that indicate the input type) and I have tried passthrough as well.

Does anyone else have the problem? Or more importantly, does anyone know how I could fix this? Or even where the problem is most likely to lie?

Regards
Neil G
similar overscan with a 1080p Sammy 50" plasma
just go to settings -> appearance -> zoom +/- (adjust as desired) .. -4% seems to correct my display
Same here with the 4%, on a 42" 1080p LG.

Also, I connected my PC running XBMC to the same display, running at both 720p and 1080p and I don't remember this happening, so I believe it's an ATV thing.
Same here on a 40w4000 with the 2011-10-22 build. Setting it at -6% gets me all the GUI but doesn't quite fill the screen. -4% still crops a little.

Edit: Fixed the issue on the TV by using 'full pixel' mode. The name implies the setting is 1:1 mapping but it's obviously not as it fills the screen perfectly on 720p.

Settings - Setup - Screen Settings - Display area - Normal or Full Pixel
It's very unlikely you are getting a 1080p feed. If your HDMI splitter isn't getting rid of the handshake, it will only output what the lowest TV can handle to both displays, so in this case 720p. I'd stop your receiver from upconverting to see if it solves the problem. I'm not sure it will, but it's definitely a start.
I'm so sorry for not updating this... My problem was that the TV itself magnified the picture ever so slightly, I had to dig quite deeply into the settings to disable this image magnification and it fixed the problem instantly.

Cheers - Neil G

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Overscan issue between 720p and 1080p displays?0