[DEV] Rifftrax Addon
Lightbulb 
I want to start work on a Rifftrax Addon:

Simply Put, the end result would be a small video library Addon where one could scan movies from their Movie Library, search for and download Rifftrax the user would own, and allow for playback with a synced mp3 with an auto-ducking of sorts.

How the tedious job of syncing, you ask? Why it would be managed by .sync files that Rifftrax.com has begun to implement in all their new releases. The syntax is as follows:

Highlander_Rifftrax.sync:
Code:
riffdelay_init=122.8500
riffstart=17.7500
time_offset=0.99942500
  • riffdelay_init - this is the time in secs in the MP3 that need to be skipped before the MP3 and the Movie start playing together.
  • riffstart - this is the time in secs on the DVD audio track when the riffing actually starts; everything before is the introduction (ie: riffdelay_init+riffstart = intro on MP3)
  • time_offset - If I'm not mistaken, this is meant for the MP3 clock-speed to allow for a perfect sync. (I noticed that I had to modify the above two params when I was syncing it in audacity due to the file being optimized for their player)

So, I guess the idea ATM is to figure out using Python how to sync these files together, and go from there.

Any Help or Advice would be welcome (if I can get this off the ground, to GoogleCode this project will go!)

Cheers!
ChaosCharza
I LOVE this idea. I'm no coder by any stretch of the imagination, but i own a ton of riffs, so if you need some help testing i'd be happy to oblidge! This would save a ton of tedious work making my own separate synced files for use on my HTPC.
Yeah, that's the goal so far: to save time and work syncing them. I'm also impatient and want my XBMC-based AppleTV1 to have a player like windows has exclusively.

So far, I really don't think that an auto-duck will work ATM, as I have no idea how to implement it using the XBMC API. That feature I will put on the back-burner until Eden is released, when external-Python is standard.

So far, I'm learning Python rather well. I am using Mythbox as a basis for learning and implementing the structure of the Addon. If you have any complaints about that, analogue, let me know.
So yea, sorry to necro this thread but I was thinking about doing this same thing the other day. I searched Google to see if someone already had and it brought me here. Did you end up making any headway on this idea? I'm a huge RiffTrax fan and was thinking about how awesome it would be to have a XBMC add-on for this. Unfortunately I'm not much of a coder but it could be a good project to cut my teeth on while learning Python etc.

I know one of the problems is that XBMC can only play one audio stream at a time. However, with Audio Engine in development now, I'm curious if it might make it possible to play 2 streams simultaneously for stuff like this. *drools*

Edit: e.g. bitstreaming the movie's DTS to one audio device (e.g. surround sound system via Optical) while playing the rifftrax mp3 on another (e.g. TV speakers via HDMI). Or maybe even mixing the two somehow on the same device.

Edit 2: Imagine having an auto-ducking feature built in too. As in, making the volume of the movie stream decrease automatically when there is RiffTrax commentary on the 2nd stream. *droooooooooool*

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DEV] Rifftrax Addon0