Step by Step manual to install XBMC to Newest 4.2.2(2203)
Just installed 8F305 /w Seas0npass 0.7.6 and did a few things differently than your instructions:
- Step 3, added "apt-get upgrade" before the "apt-get -f install" command
- Step 4, installed official XBMC with "apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2" then followed keith's instructions to install a semi-nightly
- skipped Step 6, dependencies were already installed

There weren't vastly different requirements... all the repos were there (as was wget) after using Seas0npass 0.7.6. The official XBMC install instructions have some unnecessary steps so I trimmed them down while documenting the process in the Jailbreak FAQ.

multipazz Wrote:I posted this explicitly for build 8F305...
the requirements for 8F202 were vastly different
due to missing repo in the jailbreak tool sets...

if a new build and different problems associated with that
there will be a new tutorial for that build Cool

but this instruction will also work for new builds
if there is no hidden problems Rolleyes

but unless you have SHSH blobs for 8C154
so you can use the last official XBMC...

this is the best option for new users Wink

just a small side note..
this tutorial was adapted from the
original tutorial posted by mingolo
he made for 8F202..
you can read his tutorial here:-
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=768...stcount=85

thanks mingolo.. i should have given props in the op
If I every get around to updating from atv2 4.1.1, I know where to come! thanks Smile
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

thanks jd...

i have updated the op with
"apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"

i can see your method will save typing 2 commands
so i have left the rest of the tutorial as is...

nice to know the official FAQ is now up to date.. Cool
even if you need to follow multiple links to get all the instructions... Eek
Back to the dreaded 1604 error in iTunes again.... Oh why didn't I just stay at the old iOS?!
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
multipazz Wrote:i have updated the op with "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"
i can see your method will save typing 2 commands so i have left the rest of the tutorial as is...
nice to know the official FAQ is now up to date.. Cool even if you need to follow multiple links to get all the instructions... Eek

Ya there's not much diff between the two tutorials... main thing is the steps are captured somewhere and that they work reliably. Thx for the motivation to clean up the jb FAQ and the atv2 info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version...eration.29.

It's always a challenge to find the balance between making instructions foolproof and reinventing the wheel... to each his own.
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Back to the dreaded 1604 error in iTunes again.... Oh why didn't I just stay at the old iOS?!

Some people getting that error when connecting both power and USB during the restore in iTunes. You've been around here a while so I imagine you've seen those posts here.

I might have run into this error a while ago myself... in that case either it went away when I stopped letting Tiny Umbrella muck with my hosts file or after switching to the latest Seas0npass.

Were you able to get the error to go away?
jd2157 Wrote:Some people getting that error when connecting both power and USB during the restore in iTunes. You've been around here a while so I imagine you've seen those posts here.

I might have run into this error a while ago myself... in that case either it went away when I stopped letting Tiny Umbrella muck with my hosts file or after switching to the latest Seas0npass.

Were you able to get the error to go away?

Yeah I seen all that back when I first JB it, it took me like a week to finally get it right! I even ended up returning it and getting a new one ha. But yeah, in the end I just used Seas0npass on my Mac and all went well. Also I read alot about people using iREB to get passed some of those errors, that was going to be my next step. But its all good now! Just have to let it scan all my media again...
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
multipazz Wrote:[SIZE="5"]9) Change your root password because the default password is no secret
$ passwd
< new password >
< new password >

Unless you are port forwarding to the device, not really that necessary unless you are afraid of someone inside your network messing with it...
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Yeah I seen all that back when I first JB it, it took me like a week to finally get it right! I even ended up returning it and getting a new one ha. But yeah, in the end I just used Seas0npass on my Mac and all went well. Also I read alot about people using iREB to get passed some of those errors, that was going to be my next step. But its all good now! Just have to let it scan all my media again...

iREB was necessary before seas0npass came out with a windows application to get into the special DFU mode... Just upgraded to the latest iOS firmware version and jailbroke with just the usb cable on windows so seems it is all fixed now.

I would probably put step 6 BEFORE step 4... I have had problems installing custom compiles without the dependencies being installed.
both good points... i don't change the password on my setup..
as i don't see what damage they could really do to the ATV Huh

i will move step 6 in the OP now... thanks!
Numus Wrote:I would probably put step 6 BEFORE step 4... I have had problems installing custom compiles without the dependencies being installed.
Same here. I just installed the normal XBMC release, then installed the nightly over it. It keeps crashing while scanning my movie library though... Got all the way to the T's then just stops. debug log doesnt reveal anything either, just that it disconnected from my server.
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
Question 
Hi all!

I got my ATV2 today and prepared it for XBMC.

First I tried as advised in the wiki - but at the install I get an error message:

Failed to fetch http://apt.saurik.com/debs/gawk_3.1.6-2_...os-arm.deb Hash Sum mismatch
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

I then to install xbmc with nitotv - same error message.

And then I tried as in the first post described - and after the last command of topic 4 - the same error message again.

Please help. Is there really a wrong package uploaded? Huh
bbathome Wrote:Hi all!

I got my ATV2 today and prepared it for XBMC.

First I tried as advised in the wiki - but at the install I get an error message:

Failed to fetch http://apt.saurik.com/debs/gawk_3.1.6-2_...os-arm.deb Hash Sum mismatch
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

I then to install xbmc with nitotv - same error message.

And then I tried as in the first post described - and after the last command of topic 4 - the same error message again.

Please help. Is there really a wrong package uploaded? Huh

I am having the same error message as above. I have JB'd 3 ATV2's prior to this one and never had any issues. Current ATV2 is on latest software though and all others weren't.

Frustrating. I have been at this for 3 hours and can't find a work around to get XBMC on.
hbt15 Wrote:I am having the same error message as above. I have JB'd 3 ATV2's prior to this one and never had any issues. Current ATV2 is on latest software though and all others weren't.

Frustrating. I have been at this for 3 hours and can't find a work around to get XBMC on.

Thanks - then it is most probably an error - and that will be fixed hopefully soon. I really do not want to download the file on the PC and then move it to the ATV2 as it might really be a wrong bin file.

As this is my first time doing this I was not sure if I lost all my knowledge of Linux...
my xbmc is running perfectly fine with the old iOS, is there any reason worth mentioning to upgrade?
I managed it with nitotv after doing search packages and update all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Step by Step manual to install XBMC to Newest 4.2.2(2203)1