Pressed key, messed up screen
Hey all,

Sorry for the awful title, but I don't know how to describe this. I used to have this problem with the previous version of XBMC, but I had a work around before that doesn't work now.

I have an issue where sometimes I try to hit ENTER on the keyboard, but I hit the backslash pipe key instead: the one that looks like \|

The display then changes to take up the top-right quarter of the screen. They keyboard itself is also useless now. I can use my iPhone remote, but not the keyboard.

I used to be able to reboot and things would come back no problem... but no more. I've rebooted, I've shutdown/turned on... my screen is stuck in this small quadrant.

Any ideas how to fix this??
Okay, I found out the key I pressed changes Display Mode into "Windowed" instead of Full Screen #1. Unfortunately pressing it again doesn't change it back.

Is there any way to disable this functionality altogether?? I'm using a Live installation and thus have no need at all for a windowed XBMC.
The backslash key ought to toggle between fullscreen and windowed. It sounds as though your windowed XBMC doesn't have the focus.

If all else fails you can restore the default settings by deleting the guisettings.xml file. On Live I think this is in $home/.xbmc/userdata. Remember that .xbmc is a hidden folder.

JR
having the same problem as OP. i press the windowed toggle key and it goes into windowed mode with a little "x" in the middle of the screen, then my keyboard doesn't work in xbmc and i have to reboot through linux.

deleting the guisettings.xml file reset everything, but didn't solve the problem. is there somewhere i can simply remap the keyboard keys or disable windowing?

live install on revo 3610. dharma release, but this happened when i was using 9.11 too.
Create a file called keyboard.xml in (I think) $home/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps containing:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <backslash>Notification(Backslash, Don't press backslash, 3)</backslash>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

This will configure the backslash key to display a little message instead of toggling the window state. You could replace the Notification(...) command with something else if you would like the backslash key to do something useful.

JR
thank you very much jhsrennie. worked like a charm!

for anyone else doing this, the directory in my live install was

/home/[your username]/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps
So I've been trying to figure out what is going on here, even though I've been using Ubuntu for about a day.

From my Windows install I know pressing "\" causes XBMC to become windowed.
I read in a post that XBMCLive calls X Window Server on start up which calls XBMC on start up.
The problem occurs because a Window Manager (eg. fluxbox which comes with XBMCLive) hasn't been called. One assumes a WM isn't used because most people will only ever run XBMC in fullscreen mode; a WM will add unnecessary overheads in 99% of cases. With out a WM you can't give focus to the windowed XBMC with the keyboard.

The 'x' in the middle of the screen is actually a mouse cursor. When I moved it over the window, pressing "\" cause XBMC to go fullscreen.

Finally, when fumbling around with script to run firefox from in XBMC, I ran fluxbox which caused XBMC to be windowed like "\" but then framed everything and showed a toolbar at the bottom of screen and finally opened firefox in a new window.

Any subject matter experts who could way in would be appreciated.

This was done on an installed version of XBMCLive 10.0.
jhsrennie Wrote:Create a file called keyboard.xml in (I think) $home/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps containing:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <backslash>Notification(Backslash, Don't press backslash, 3)</backslash>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

This will configure the backslash key to display a little message instead of toggling the window state. You could replace the Notification(...) command with something else if you would like the backslash key to do something useful.

JR

Worked for me!!!

After having this problem occasionally myself, I finally took the effort to look it up. And yet again I was not the only one having this problem. Simple solution, great fix. No more searching for a mouse (were are those batteries) while in the middle of watching a movie.

Much appreciated!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pressed key, messed up screen0