Want time seek, not chapter skip?
you could also use a program like MKVToolNix (aka mkvmerge gui) and delete the chapters so that skipping works the way you want them to.
Yes I dislike this too, for a slightly different reason: I want the SkipNext and SkipPrevious to skip to the next/previous items in the playlist, not the next/previous chapter. The most annoying thing is, in the pre-v12 betas I have (which play 1080i .TS files from my Freesat box perfectly, good job team!) when you try SkipNext while on the last chapter, nothing happens! In effect the key or button is useless!

Having had a look at ButtonTranslator.cpp my thought is, couldn't Team XBMC just add persistent SkipNextInPlaylist and SkipPreviousInPlaylist type commands? I mean, for example we have SubtitleDelay, SubtitleDelayPlus, SubtitleDelayMinus which is nice because you can choose which buttons to map in the FullScreenVideo part of the keymap, so this wouldn't be much of a ballache to implement, surely? Or an advancedsettings.xml option.

XBMC is great precisely because it is so tweakable, all that's being asked for here is a tiny bit more of that, which is surely no bad thing, right?
Same issue here. Here it says, that up/down means Big Step forward/back, and pressing brackets mean big step or next chapter. But in reality up/down does what is described for brackets. I dont care about chapter seeking, when i do want to perform a Big Step Forward as set up in advancedsettings.xml, then i dont want to move forward to the next chapter. There should be an as.xml option that allows to skip Chapter seeking.
Why was this 'feature' refused?
I have no interest in chapters for MKV but they are handy for concert or music video collections.
Have you tried just typing in the time that you want to jump to and press enter.
(2012-06-03, 18:41)michaelh9 Wrote: So, how do we get this reopened? I don't understand why the team is so closed-minded on the issue and keep insisting that the chapter skip is really all we should want. In the ticket, jmarshall even went so far as to say what could be done, but then left the issue closed.

(2012-10-19, 11:56)Maetrik Wrote: Why was this 'feature' refused?

The team isn't being closed-minded, no one is insisting anything, and nothing has been refused. This is just something that has slipped under the radar. There's a lot that people want to do with XBMC and there are only so many hours in the day. I believe in the future there are already plans to revisit some player control options, and this will likely be added or whatever then.
Well that sounds ok for me but the ticket says "will not be added" or am i missing something? Also, can you explain why it says on/up performs a Big Step only while brackets perform a Big Step OR a chapter skip but both do the same?
(2011-06-05, 19:22)michaelh9 Wrote: What these mean is, if the file contains chapters, the bigstepforward/backwards will ignore the time skip and do chapter skips instead.

What I want is to disable the chapter skips and only use the fixed (not percentage based) time skips regardless of whether the file has chapters.

Thanks,
michael

I was googling to see how I can disable chapter skip and found this thread.
I second the request to have some option to disabled chapter skips, to have some videos doing chapter skip with no options to disable is quite annoying.
This will now be possible in XBMC v13. BigStepForward and BigStepBack will always do time seek. Default behavior will use a new ChapterOrBigStepForward/Back action ID (wiki).
(2014-02-08, 20:32)Ned Scott Wrote: This will now be possible in XBMC v13. BigStepForward and BigStepBack will always do time seek. Default behavior will use a new ChapterOrBigStepForward/Back action ID (wiki).

That's great news. Saves me writing a script to de-chapter all my mkv files.
(2014-02-08, 20:32)Ned Scott Wrote: This will now be possible in XBMC v13. BigStepForward and BigStepBack will always do time seek. Default behavior will use a new ChapterOrBigStepForward/Back action ID (wiki).

That's great news Ned.
Was this recently commited?
Recent I asked was I was using openelec gothan nightly build from ~a week or so ago and it still has that old behavior.
(2014-02-10, 23:51)waver123 Wrote:

That's great news Ned.
Was this recently commited?
Recent I asked was I was using openelec gothan nightly build from ~a week or so ago and it still has that old behavior.

I think it was at least a month ago. However, the default keymaps have also been updated, so the default BigStepForward/Back have been replaced with ChapterOrBigStepForward/Back. You just have to change it with a keymap (wiki) file to use BigStepForward/Back
Thanks Ned, I modified my remote.xml like below and it's working perfectly!

Code:
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <remote>
      <up>BigStepForward</up>
      <down>BigStepBack</down>
    </remote>
  </FullscreenVideo>    
</keymap>
I have some questions related to this thread.

I've mapped the coloured buttons on my remote to the following in remote.xml:

<keymap>
<global>
<remote>
<red>BigStepForward</red>
<green>StepForward</green>
<yellow>percentseekforward</yellow>
<blue>SmallStepBack</blue>
<remote>
<global>

I have a advancedsettings.xml file as follows:

<advancedsettings>
<FullscreenLiveTV>
<smallstepbackseconds>10</smallstepbackseconds>
<timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward>
<timeseekbackward>20</timeseekbackward>
<percentseekforward>1</percentseekforward>
<bigstepforwardseconds>300<bigstepforwardseconds>
<timeseekforwardbig>300</timeseekforwardbig>
<FullscreenLiveTV>
</advancedsettings>

My plan is to use this for skipping commercial breaks when watching recorded tv (via the XBMC pvr). Red will do the main jump forwards, with a little bit forwards by green or yellow and a small skip back with blue.

1) The yellow button isn't working - I'd just like a setting that will skip forward approx 15sec - is this possible (while also being able to skip forward 30sec with the green button)?

2) Is it possible to adjust the BigStepForward command to 5 minutes instead of 10?

I don't mind if I can't use the yellow option, but a 5 minute skip forwards would be ideal!

I've had a good hunt around the keymap and advanced settings guides on the wiki, some searches on the forum and google but can't find the answer. Sorry if it's simple, but I've reached my limit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for this. Movies with 20+ chapters were driving me nuts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Want time seek, not chapter skip?0