Vista + password and username lock
I've been scouring the threads using the search tool and have found plenty of threads about this issue regarding Win 7, but none regarding Vista.

I'm a brand new user to XBMC on a clean install to an ATV2 from a PC . Have everything up and running , but am unable to access my media. I have tried several different methods to sharing the folders, all suggested from either this forum or from google.
XBMC shows the media folder, but then requests a PW and Username of which I have none? I have gone through the Win 7 solutions to this problem and tried their solutions, but I still seem to be missing something.

Is there more information you need to help me, or have I missed the workaround? I'm running Vista 64 ultimate (if that makes a difference).

Thanks for any help!
the issue is found in both 7 and vista so the 7 fixes should work for you. For starters try power cycling your router and modem. Check the video dl in my signature to make sure you are on a home network as opposed to a business. Finally in your shares make sure that "everyone" is enabled. For what its worth I have found that using windows simple file sharing is best when dealing with xbmc shares.

Hope this helps, Happy Hunting
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
TY Hawk, I tried that fix, but strangely even after a reboot it shows me still on some "work" workgroup. I've tried to set it to home, but not getting anywhere on that.

I attempted again some of the other W7 fixes, such as create a new user account called "xbox" with same PW as the name and I was finally able to see my media files.
It still seems to ask for a login/PW everytime now, so I haven't figured a way around that yet, even with enabling the "remember" feature in XBMC.

I'm considering re-installing XBMC but I don't know if that would make any difference (or if I should install one of the nightlies).
you could also try setting up the shares to your media using the ip of the computer the media is on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTBspxh7CgI
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vista + password and username lock0