Questions about patches
Hi,

Recently, I started to play around with patches submitted to trac and compiling xbmc from source code (on windows).

I successfully applied 1 patch and compiled xbmc with it (thanks to the wiki Smile)

my question is in 2 part:

1- I was looking at a trac ticket that has multiple file attached to it, and I was wondering if I have to apply all the patches/diff files that are attached to it or simply a few of them. The trac ticket in question is: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10891

2- How should I apply the diff file to the source code? I tried to do "Apply Patch" in tortoiseGIT, but I always get a message saying "Patch format detection failed"

The patch that I successfully applied was little, I edited the files manually but the last one I,ve been looking at has more that just a few lines of code changed.

I'm really new at all this, maybe I'm doing some newbie mistakes, just seeking a little help since my googling didn't helped me much so far.

thanks for any help
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

definitely don't have to apply all those patches, read the discussion, see when they popped up. some of them are revised versions... get a patch tool that can handle any format patches, such as 'patch' in a unix env. one option is a cygwin/mingw env.
Excuse me for stealing post, but one question from here, how to create patches? (im just testing, what im patching its kinda useless for most people) im using tortoisegit, if i use "Diff" it shows the differences which i made to the HEAD rev (so it detects my changed correctly).

But when i create a patch serial..., it generates nothing. Bug on tortoisegit?

Also tried using git command line...
You have to commit changes to your (local) repository. After commiting changes You can create serial patch and there You specify point from patches should start generating (each commit will generate 1 patch file)

It would be best if You read some docs about git because this is really great tool, but if You don't understand how it work it will only frustrate You (and possibly others Tongue)
Ok thanks, i use tortoise for subversion (svn) @ work, so more used to it, but not many patches there Tongue. It asks for username and email, i thought it was for password because it was trying to upload it to xbmc official respository Tongue, so was failing because of that ><.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions about patches0