"ALT-TABs" back to Windows after a few seconds... how to solve?
Hello,

XBMC has been fine for me since I installed it. Recently though, when I start XBMC in Windows (Windows 7 x64), XBMC loads up, and after a few seconds (maybe 7-10 seconds), it "ALT-TABs" back to my Windows desktop. XBMC is still in the taskbar, and if I click it, it goes back to XBMC and it does not switch to Windows desktop again (until the next time I start XBMC that is).

Anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thanks
That normally means some other app is grabbing the focus. By default XBMC uses a DirectX mode that needs exclusive access to the screen, and if any other app gets the focus it has to minimise.

This can be a problem if you have XBMC set to run automatically at startup, because Windows usually starts various other apps as well as XBMC (it's usually the system tray icons causing the problem) but I've never seen it when you start XBMC manually. Is it possible the anti-virus or something similar is doing something when otjher programs are launched?

JR
Hello jhsrennie and thanks for your quick reply,

I forgot to mention, that I indeed have autostart enabled for XBMC after Windows boots. I have it with a delay of 7 seconds. It has been enough for Windows to "calm down" after a boot, but maybe I have installed some programs or something... that is causing it to require more delay before it is OK to start XBMC. So, I'll try to increase the delay, and maybe that will do the trick? I also uninstalled some programs etc.

What do you think?

Thanks
Hello,

I am also experiencing the problem.

If you find something, can you post to this thread ?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102266

Thank you !
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
cakemonster Wrote:Hello jhsrennie and thanks for your quick reply,

I forgot to mention, that I indeed have autostart enabled for XBMC after Windows boots. I have it with a delay of 7 seconds. It has been enough for Windows to "calm down" after a boot, but maybe I have installed some programs or something... that is causing it to require more delay before it is OK to start XBMC. So, I'll try to increase the delay, and maybe that will do the trick? I also uninstalled some programs etc.

What do you think?

Thanks

Yes, you probably just need to increase the delay, or better still find out what is stealing the focus.

JR
I have made some tests, and I _think_ it can be the AMD vision control center driver that is causing problems. Until recently I had the "old" version (Catalyst Control Center) installed, and when I think about it, the problem never accured before I installed AMD vision control center.

Will do some more tests.
OK! This seems to have solved my problems, it was the AMD Vision Control Center that was the culprit. So if you have it installed and have the same problems I have (had?), here is how to solve it.

(It seems to have solved it. Just rebooted, XBMC loaded after 10 secs delay, and it hasn't switched to windows desktop yet anyway (5 minutes). It would switch to windows desktop after 5-10 seconds before).

Here is how I solved it:

1. Click the windows start icon
2. In "search programs and files" type: msconfig and hit enter
3. Switch to "Startup"
4. Uncheck the "Catalyst Control Center" checkmark
5. Reboot

And it should be fixed...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"ALT-TABs" back to Windows after a few seconds... how to solve?0