First HTPC
Hi All

After using the original xbox for a number of years (had three of them at one stage Big Grin all running XBMC) I have tried the popcornhour but just do not like it and neither does the wife.

So I am looking to go down the HTPC way now.

I have come up with some specs and wonder if you could give your input if you think this would be a good system.

Mobo : Asrock H67M-ITX/HT $137
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=H67M-ITX/HT

CPU : i3 2100 $123

Memory : 4gig (2x2gig) $43

Case : Aywun A1-9189 $49
http://www.aywun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=68

I am probably going to use a WD green 2TB hard drive that I have laying around to store the media direct on the system.

My major issue is do you think the 150W (max 200w) power supply that comes with the case will be sufficient or will I need to move upto a case that has/supports are larger PSU. Is there anything else that I am missing?

I will more than likely run windows 7 and don't have a 3d TV so that is not an issue at all. I am sourcing most of the parts from a local store here in Sydney.

Your advice is appreciated

Thanks
150W is more than enough
will you use an SSD as OS Drive?

and using i3 onboard video has 24p issues....
just something to bare in mind...
and i've read that it also has macro-block problems under XBMC...
I will probably just use the WD Green SATA for the time being and see how we go. Maybe will sneak that in later when the wife is not looking Smile

I think I will stick with the onboard for the time being. The case will accept a full height video card so if I run into issues I can add a card later.

I will probably go and get all the bits today or tomorrow and work on it over the weekend. Will let you know how I go.

Thanks for your help guys much appreciated.
Actually now that Intel has released the Pentium series based on Sandy Bridge, you have a good alternative to the core i3 2100. The G620 is only $78, or better yet the low power version - G620T for $85. Even the higher end G840 and G850 come in at $90 and $97 respectively. So these would be good alternatives to cut down the cost without sacrificing any real XBMC performance. Put that $50 you save in the SSD fund, you can even find decent SSDs for that kinda money after rebate.

Haven't had a chance to play with these chips yet, but they will certainly offer most of the performance of the SB architecture, and will without question out perform the Atom/Zacate/Celeron alternatives. You lose HyperThreading, so its 2 cores/2 threads instead of 2 cores/4 threads, but still has the same base HD 2000 graphics and 3mb of shared L3 cache.

It will really be a good alternative if they have landed on the shores of Sydney yet. Also, I am currently using an i3 2100T and as eskro notes, there are some issues using DXVA and allowing the GPU to handle the decoding, basically you wind up with a mess of a screen. However, the cpu alone is more than powerful enough to handle 1080p content so until the devs figure out a solution, you'll be seeing the cpu do all the work which will translate into higher cpu usage (and higher power consumption) than you would if the HD 2000 was doing all the work. Nothing that should turn you off the platform, but certainly worth pointing out.

And any modern lower end GPU from Nvidia or ATI will be well suited to the task if you really wanted it. HD 6450 or GT 210 can be had on the cheap, or even an older HD 5450 will be just fine. They offer more features and better control, but at the end of the day if all you want is an image on the screen the IGP on these Sandy Bridge chips is perfectly fine.

Best of luck, and hope you share some pics and experience!
Even the [cpu] Intel Pentium E5700 3.0GHz Dual-Core LGA-775 65W ($66 + $0) would be perfect!
I ended up going with the i3.

I ordered it all went to pick it all up saturday morning, and what do you know they had ordered the wrong mobo for me so I have to wait till Tuesday to get the right mobo. I was so looking foward to working on it over the weekend. Oh well another few days wont kill me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC0