Kodi - NFS-VLC issue, working with CIFS/SFTP/SAMBA
Hello,

The wheel is always in need of a little repair right?

I want to try switching to NFS as my main streaming protocol but I use VLC as my external player.

I have successfully set up NFS share on server and Kodi sees the files and even plays them via built in media player. (please don't tell me to just use it, that doesn't help me or anybody reading this)

The problem:

Kodi attempts to open external player (kodi even says external player is active press ok when completed) but vlc does not play anything (just closes, but that may be due to my setting it to close after playback has completed)

I have even played specific files in same location with vlc by playing thru samba share so it is not the files and I have tried different file types, the files in question are low quality avi cartoons (simpsons, ATHF etc.)

--could it be a port issue even tho it works via kodi internal player??

My System

Ubuntu 14.04.02 LTS SE upgraded/patched as of 3/29/15 -- HOST

Windows 8.1 Pro client (I'm not going to list all the specs, because I can use VLC to play the same files with the same set up via samba and sftp [mounted via netdrive])

this is the exported line in exports

/home/donut/nfs 192.168.200.0/24(rw,async,insecure,no_subtree_check,nohide)

and this is the nfs i installed --install nfs-kernel-server

I believe that is nfs v4 ( I just installed today, once again 3/29/25)

Any thoughts on why this might be happening? Do you require any other info?

Please help me ditch my samba... ohh windows, you like nintendo, if it wasnt for mario and zelda or office and some games, id leave you in a heartbeat... I know if i switch to Win 8.1 Enterprise i could get native windows NFS support, but thats over-kill lol, why does windows have to do this ... clearly screwing me over by not supporting nfs in home editions of windows when they clearly have the technology.

Anyway that was a tangent/rant thanks ahead of time ohh great kodi forum members!

Donut

PS: My VLC settings / playercore settings are as follows -- VLC is 64 bit but like i said, this seems irrelevant as it works via other protocols

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="avi|mkv|mp4" player="VLC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

---
#<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args> -- seems arbitrary and does't work and is no longer in my playercorefactory.xml

The follow sets VLC to auto go fullscreen, to hide any errors( they seem to pop up at the end of every tv/movie when playing from kodi but everything works great lol!) And last but not least important
make vlc auto quit so that your kodi instance is back up instantly.

In VLC, click Tools --> Preferences

Click Video and check "Fullscreen"

At the bottom left, for Show settings, click All

At the top left, for Search, paste the string: unimportant

In the box below Search, click: Qt

On the right-side, near the very bottom, uncheck Show unimportant error and warnings dialogs

Click Save

Now click on playlist

Check "Play and Exit"

Save

Restart and verify setting applied correctly
Whow sorry epic fail, im using Kodi 14.02 Helix on my Win 8.1 PRO machine

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi - NFS-VLC issue, working with CIFS/SFTP/SAMBA0