Dell sx270
I've just come across one at work but its lacking a hard drive...

I was wondering if it's worth hooking this up as an XBMC box given the hard drive i install will probably be worth more than the PC itself i want to check with you lovely lot...

I know it has intel graphics so not sure if it will work under linux which would be preferred...

I just want to run Sabnzbd and xbmc - nothing more and nothing less
Hi,

I have succesfully run xbmc on a GX280 which has the same spec. the integrated graphics will mean that the menu's are a bit slow, but the cpu should play sd content without a hitch
Hey thanks,

Did you have it running under linux or using windows.

Id definitely expect it to be sluggish under windows...but not so much on linux live or openelec etc
I used exactly one of these as my first XBMC box (also aquired from work Smile)

I ran XBMC live dual boot with xp and it worked absolutely fine, only replaced due to the size, heat and noise issues but it was more than adequate for my needs. I didn't try running any HD, just DVD rips but it handled those without hassle.

One recommendation I would make is turning the mounted cpu fans around in their mounting as the way they designed blows hot air over the capacitors as opposed to straight out of the venting, see link:

How to keep your SX270 caps alive

I've done this on a few of these machines and it not only reduced the heat but also the noise (as the fans aren't spinning as fast to keep the case cool)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dell sx2700