[ATV2] Play 1080p without buffering XBMC vs Media Player vs Plex (with Time Capsule)
With regards to the buffering, i can confirm that using an Ethernet cable will stop this. I have had the Apple Tv three days and have received no buffering using the latest nightly. The only problem i have now is stuttering video. I think were just going to have to hang on a while XBMC on the Apple TV is new and will need time to develop. Currently i am only able to watch small MKV's anything larger (1080p) the stuttering makes it unwatchable. I do wonder some time though whether all of our problem would have gone away if the Apple Tv came with a gig nic!
I can confirm it doesn't, since I've been using it hooked to a cable since the first day I had it. Wink
What about posting mediainfo for the files. All the issues I have encountered with H264 and buffering issues has always been that the person encoding the files has done something stupid like setting the number of ref-frames to 16 or something like that (read: non-standard encoding).
that's not the fact. i have the same hardware. isn't it possible to build a firmware, which can play most of codes from a smb-device without stuttering or buffering?
Kudd Wrote:What about posting mediainfo for the files. All the issues I have encountered with H264 and buffering issues has always been that the person encoding the files has done something stupid like setting the number of ref-frames to 16 or something like that (read: non-standard encoding).

I can post that if you want, but the files I'm talking about are all 1:1 dvd-rips to ISO (tested in video_ts-format also, same problem).
So no h264 with non-standard encoding...
activate Wrote:Fire69...did you also try ftp. I still have the buffering as I have mentioned on smb but...Some people have found that ftp has worked for them. I got stuck because mac's native ftp share doesn't allow for anything outside the home directory..and sharepoint is not available for leopard. I'd have to install xcode, etc. to install a ftpserver....so I didn't keep at it.

Try a symbolic link - ie. the external media folder as a link in your home folder, I have not tried it but it should work.

This is different to an 'Alias', which probably won't work.
Fire69, I was having lots of problems with SMB sharing over wired ethernet. Tried lots of differents setups like yourself. I then setup an FTP server and now all my MKV's stream beautifully (even 1080p).

Like you, I prefer the simplicity of SMB (I also run a dedicated XBMC Live HTPC that has zero issues with SMB) but for the sake of my kids getting upset every time they see "Buffering...), I'm happy I switched to FTP!
I won't try an ftp server but i have no plan how i can make an ftp server?
Can anybody help me?
?Try a symbolic link - ie. the external media folder as a link in your home folder?
BritBloke Wrote:Fire69, I was having lots of problems with SMB sharing over wired ethernet. Tried lots of differents setups like yourself. I then setup an FTP server and now all my MKV's stream beautifully (even 1080p).

Like you, I prefer the simplicity of SMB (I also run a dedicated XBMC Live HTPC that has zero issues with SMB) but for the sake of my kids getting upset every time they see "Buffering...), I'm happy I switched to FTP!

I'll research this when i have time as I have the same setup. Seas0nPassed aTV 2 on 4.3 (4.2.2) with the last XBMC before Keith's newest build connected via ethernet to a second "Time Capsule" using SMB to access the TC's 2TB HDD. I experienced a few issues and began removing installed extra's, main issue seemed to revolve around NitoTV (also installed aTV Flash Black). I started free with only XBMC, and mkv's that had severe buffering (even simple SD mkv's) work flawlessly, with DTS passthru. I was able to get a 10GB 1080P mkv to play that would crash instantly, however after a few minutes XBMC would crash and reboot the system.

I'll check into FTP as an option is this is truly as beneficial as claimed. Thanks. Smile
From the tests i made, the CIFS/SMB server used by Airport Extreme/TimeCapsules aren't recommended to our setup, ATV2 accessing it directly via SMB.

Maybe when we see AFP support via XBMC it could work OK, but i had nothing but trouble using it.

Also, i had setup my Macbook to share a SMB folder, while using the Airport Extreme shared via AFP, and it worked OK, no buffering. But here, see the difference: Mac OS X uses Samba as CIFS/SMB server (Airport/TimeCapsules don't -- IIRC they use NetBSD plus an Apple daemon for CIFS/SMB), and the Macbook uses AFP instead of SMB. So, Samba makes the difference here.

Since i changed my NAS to a LaCie one, its Linux based and uses Samba as CIFS/SMB server, i got everything working smoothly with XBMC. I can even stream 1080p movies when needed.
BritBloke Wrote:Fire69, I was having lots of problems with SMB sharing over wired ethernet. Tried lots of differents setups like yourself. I then setup an FTP server and now all my MKV's stream beautifully (even 1080p).

Set up an ftp-server, tested in XBMC => same result. Sad

0xsegfault Wrote:[...]

Since i changed my NAS to a LaCie one, its Linux based and uses Samba as CIFS/SMB server, i got everything working smoothly with XBMC. I can even stream 1080p movies when needed.

I'll see if I can test with an Ubuntu Live-cd or something, but I sure hope that's not the solution for me! Don't really want to go and replace my Server2008 with a Linux-distro... Eek
0xsegfault Wrote:From the tests i made, the CIFS/SMB server used by Airport Extreme/TimeCapsules aren't recommended to our setup, ATV2 accessing it directly via SMB.

Maybe when we see AFP support via XBMC it could work OK, but i had nothing but trouble using it.

Also, i had setup my Macbook to share a SMB folder, while using the Airport Extreme shared via AFP, and it worked OK, no buffering. But here, see the difference: Mac OS X uses Samba as CIFS/SMB server (Airport/TimeCapsules don't -- IIRC they use NetBSD plus an Apple daemon for CIFS/SMB), and the Macbook uses AFP instead of SMB. So, Samba makes the difference here.

Wow, this is quite a great post. I will ask JD2157 to add it to the official FAQ because so many people complain about TC/AE streaming issues.
Good info!
dukevim Wrote:Try a symbolic link - ie. the external media folder as a link in your home folder, I have not tried it but it should work.

This is different to an 'Alias', which probably won't work.

Thanks, you had my hopes up Wink but xbmc doesn't route to it. I tried a folder as well as a file. It looks at it and goes..."Hmmm..who are you..Huh"

Additionally..

1. I tried copying a 12gig mkv into the home directory so it can be picked up via ftp by xmbc. It only recognizes it as a 2gig file.
2. Still buffers.

Fire69 Wrote:Set up an ftp-server, tested in XBMC => same result. Sad

Which ftp server did you try ?
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

0xsegfault Wrote:Also, i had setup my Macbook to share a SMB folder, while using the Airport Extreme shared via AFP, and it worked OK, no buffering. But here, see the difference: Mac OS X uses Samba as CIFS/SMB server (Airport/TimeCapsules don't -- IIRC they use NetBSD plus an Apple daemon for CIFS/SMB), and the Macbook uses AFP instead of SMB. So, Samba makes the difference here.

Not sure I'm following you 100%. So you're saying you had a folder on the APE shared to your Macbook (via AFP) which you re-shared from the Macbook to the atv2 (via SMB) and it worked without buffering?
jd2157 Wrote:Not sure I'm following you 100%. So you're saying you had a folder on the APE shared to your Macbook (via AFP) which you re-shared from the Macbook to the atv2 (via SMB) and it worked without buffering?

Yup because SMB sucks on TimeCapsule/Airport Extreme because it uses a netbsd client, not Samba.

If/when afpclient gets refactored then we'll have native AFP in XBMC and hopefully that's better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Play 1080p without buffering XBMC vs Media Player vs Plex (with Time Capsule)0