[ATV2] Play 1080p without buffering XBMC vs Media Player vs Plex (with Time Capsule)
keith Wrote:...it uses a netbsd client, not Samba.

This makes so much sense. Thanks Keith.
keith Wrote:Yup because SMB sucks on TimeCapsule/Airport Extreme because it uses a netbsd client, not Samba.

If/when afpclient gets refactored then we'll have native AFP in XBMC and hopefully that's better.

Yeah, i guess its their CIFS/SMB server implementation (daemon) in AE/TC which kinda sucks. See the banners below:

192.168.1.1 is the IP Addr of my Airport Extreme:

freak:~ segfault$ smbclient -L //192.168.1.1
Password:
Domain=[CORE-DUMPED] OS=[Apple Base Station] Server=[CIFS 4.32]

192.168.1.8 is the IP Addr of my LaCie NAS:
freak:~ segfault$ smbclient -L //192.168.1.8
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[CORE-DUMPED] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.1]

See, LaCie uses Samba 3.5.1, while Airport uses a "CIFS 4.32", probably made internally by Apple. If they used Samba, probably we should get a better CIFS/SMB experience.
Just to add more info, searching for "CIFS 4.32" people reports several problems via CIFS/SMB, but AFP works. [url=http://www.google.com.br/#q="cifs+4.32"&fp=1]http://www.google.com.br/#q="cifs+4.32"&fp=1[/url]
keith Wrote:Yup because SMB sucks on TimeCapsule/Airport Extreme because it uses a netbsd client, not Samba.

If/when afpclient gets refactored then we'll have native AFP in XBMC and hopefully that's better.

Wow, the netbsd SMB implementation must be pretty terrible if you get better performance by SMB sharing an AFP mounted share, i.e. 2 levels/protocols of sharing.

Here's to hoping for iOS-based Airport Extreme/TC's. Maybe QoS will finally show up.
0xsegfault Wrote:Just to add more info, searching for "CIFS 4.32" people reports several problems via CIFS/SMB, but AFP works. [url=http://www.google.com.br/#q="cifs+4.32"&fp=1]http://www.google.com.br/#q="cifs+4.32"&fp=1[/url]

Any ETA on AFP support? Anyone knows?
Doombelly Wrote:Any ETA on AFP support? Anyone knows?

Prolly make more sense to ask in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102551

However, in a dev environment like this (volunteers in their spare time) not many folks like to be asked for ETAs... so you may not want to be "that guy". Sounds like AFP talk is just starting though so it's unlikely that anyone will know who's doing it let alone when.

Looks like nfs will come before afp according to that thread.
activate Wrote:[...]

Which ftp server did you try ?

IIS7
Tried a portable ftp-server first (Baby FTP or something), but that didn't work either.

I'll give Filezilla a try, but I'm guessing it won't make much of a difference Sad

[edit]
Nope, same crappy results... :mad:

This is interesting. My aTV 2 connects using SMB via ethernet directly to my TC which holds my media, this shouldn't negatively impact a wired SMB connection?

jd2157 Wrote:Wow, the netbsd SMB implementation must be pretty terrible if you get better performance by SMB sharing an AFP mounted share, i.e. 2 levels/protocols of sharing.

Here's to hoping for iOS-based Airport Extreme/TC's. Maybe QoS will finally show up.

Funny you should mention, iOS 5 based AE/TC's are around the corner, sometime this fall with the release of the next iPhone along with Apple's iCloud service (apparently software updates/data info for OS X and iOS will be cached to the devices until system use).
Quote:Funny you should mention, iOS 5 based AE/TC's are around the corner, sometime this fall with the release of the next iPhone along with Apple's iCloud service (apparently software updates/data info for OS X and iOS will be cached to the devices until system use).

That's what I was referring to, but I don't think iOS-based AE/TCs are a done deal yet. AFAIK it's just rumors based on low AE/TC stock and speculation about them playing a part in iCloud.

The low stock could just mean minor hardware updates, and Apple could just add features to the existing OS on the AE/TC for the iCloud stuff... hopefully they won't though and will go to iOS. It'd make a lot of sense to reuse the OS and hardware that the iPhone/iPad/iPod/atv2 are all using.

While they're updating the AE it'd be nice to see some Airplay features, audio at least.
Fire69 Wrote:I can post that if you want, but the files I'm talking about are all 1:1 dvd-rips to ISO (tested in video_ts-format also, same problem).
So no h264 with non-standard encoding...

Have you tried encoding it to with h264? All my ISO files play shitty as well, and i don't even think theyr supported as of now..
I am having the exact same issues. Even with 720p DIVX Dolby Digital audio movies. In XBMC it is unwatchable. With a pl** server running wirelessly from the router and my atv running wirelessly with quality setting set to best it is perfect. ALl of the media is stored on a Boxee box with hard drives attached connected via ethernet to a time capsule. XBMC on my laptop works fine and no stuttering. This is a little frustrating since i really wanted to just use XBMC on the ATV without needing my laptops fan to go bonkers.

I am running latest nightly build that was shared and running the new 4.2.2 and also jail broken with seasonpass.

I updated the atv right when i got it since i knew about the jailbreak. Didnt think i should have stayed with the older version if it was working fine for other people.
jd2157 Wrote:That's what I was referring to, but I don't think iOS-based AE/TCs are a done deal yet. AFAIK it's just rumors based on low AE/TC stock and speculation about them playing a part in iCloud.

The low stock could just mean minor hardware updates, and Apple could just add features to the existing OS on the AE/TC for the iCloud stuff... hopefully they won't though and will go to iOS. It'd make a lot of sense to reuse the OS and hardware that the iPhone/iPad/iPod/atv2 are all using.

While they're updating the AE it'd be nice to see some Airplay features, audio at least.

The latest commercial release for Airport Utility update to 5.5.3 (this is the same utility run since the Lion DP's) shows tags that relate to next gen iOS based AE/TC's:

References to Next-Generation AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Found

coupled with:

New Time Capsules to Run iOS on A4/A5 Processors?

Quote:...Ars Technica briefly notes that it has received word that the new Time Capsule may actually follow the pattern of the Apple TV, taking on an A4 or A5 processor from Apple and running iOS to manage the more advanced functions that could appear in the device...

...Harnessing the power of iOS directly within the Time Capsule device, even if on a scaled-down basis as in the Apple TV, naturally opens the door to further speculation of how Apple could tie together iCloud services with local storage on users' own networks, whether it be caching some iCloud content to the Time Capsule for faster access when on the local network or even pushing some of the Time Machine functions included on the current Time Capsule out to iCloud itself.

Separately, we've heard an unconfirmed tip that iOS 5 may finally be bringing wireless syncing to iOS devices, including the intriguing claim that the wireless syncing could be performed directly with the new Time Capsules, bypassing the need to sync with a specific computer.

I've been running iOS 5 on my iP4 and iPad 1 and 2, and been using iCloud (still in very early stages as you need to create a free [temp] MobileMe ID to use it until full integration with MobileMe accounts), and there has been a lot of info that relates to caching of data to mobile routers for users, more AirPlay integration, iOS Apps for the Apple TV, and on and on - it's a bit odd that Apple may/will be releasing so much "new" material at once. Much of the "speculation" has been confirmed recently with developers such as myself *coughNDAcoughcough* fishing through code. These announcements were supposed to be made around WWDC, but with the Foxconn tragedy in building A5 (obviously the bldg for iOS based A5 devices) a lot of the production was put back and announcements have been delayed.

The other news going around which relates directly to you guys is the next Apple TV model, which is rumored to have at least double the RAM and a dual core or greater processor to handle 1080P content (it seems Cupertino is streamlining all their mobile media/routers to move to the iOS platform and increasing hw specs across the line). If that is the case, WOO HOO! Smile
Thanks for the core dump Tongue Sounds very promising.

Assuming the rumors come true, Apple can consider this my pre-order for an iOS-based TC and a dual core ATV.
The answer is to stay away from Apple products and get a machine capable of handling 1080p content with Gigabit NIC.. ATV is just not ready for the power XBMC....
Paraffin Wrote:The answer is to stay away from Apple products and get a machine capable of handling 1080p content with Gigabit NIC.. ATV is just not ready for the power XBMC....

Got a hackint0sh doing just that Smile, but I like the size of the AppleTV and I don't need a large box with an OS that requires fumbling around for more than I need. I don't even use my cable box, I DVR w/ EyeTV on my Mac Pro and watch my programs on any of my iDevices locally or through 3G/WiFi elsewhere. If the AppleTV were to finally get the specs it needs for full 1080P usage I could ditch everything else and simply use my Pioneer Elite VSX-33. Simplicity, as the saying goes "keep it simple"...

jd2157 Wrote:Thanks for the core dump Tongue Sounds very promising.

Assuming the rumors come true, Apple can consider this my pre-order for an iOS-based TC and a dual core ATV.

Got pretty much a 99% certainty just a sec ago that this should be released around September, with an announcement around August. The only factor my friend Jackee couldn't confirm was the size of the SSD in the net Apple TV. Currently it's 8, but with 1080P streaming support it would make sense to bump it to 16 or more. Time will tell. Bookmark this comment and if I'm wrong, I'll get you a new Mac Pro Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Play 1080p without buffering XBMC vs Media Player vs Plex (with Time Capsule)0