Protecting skins from commercial use
krish_2k4 Wrote:its similar

compare the two, the layout is similar, even the gradient on the large "fanart" image looks exactly the same! on alaska there is a "panel wide" view that is even closer to the amino screenshot.

krish_2k4 Wrote:heres another similar view....

looks the same-ish?

Hmm.. *goes to clean his glasses* Laugh OK, I see the similarity now, image border and glass overlay+layout. No coincidence there, clear rip-off.
BTW about the layout.. can u copyright the actual design?

Hitcher isn't there a saying like if u are going to copy someone, copy the best? If u can't do anything (in this case) at least u can be flattered by that. Smile
It's not about copy, skinners take ideas & stuff of each other all the time within XBMC and you don't see anyone making a fuzz, at most they ask for recognition, but profiting from others work, well there we have some big problems.
KiSUAN Wrote:It's not about copy, skinners take ideas & stuff of each other all the time within XBMC and you don't see anyone making a fuzz, at most they ask for recognition, but profiting from others work, well there we have some big problems.

Agreed. I'm all about sharing (and borrowing) within the community. We ALL give credit where credit is due and there is a general understanding with all skinners that all the work is done for the "community". A for-profit company, they are not part of our "community". Angry
To learn more, click here.
KiSUAN Wrote:It's not about copy, skinners take ideas & stuff of each other all the time within XBMC and you don't see anyone making a fuzz, at most they ask for recognition, but profiting from others work, well there we have some big problems.

Having been a member of many community's related to art/skins and for a long time I think I know that. Probably everyone with IQ over 80 too, so there was no need for me to say something that "goes along without saying", but thanks for clearing that up for me.
igotdvds Wrote:Agreed. I'm all about sharing (and borrowing) within the community. We ALL give credit where credit is due and there is a general understanding with all skinners that all the work is done for the "community". A for-profit company, they are not part of our "community". Angry

I could not have said it better myself. Even though I know the bare-basics of skinning, I can see that it takes hours upon hours of work to get ideas into a stable and usable form. Having someone take your work without even acknowledging the source is shameful.
Create a video response for that YouTube video replicating what they did with XBMC and Alaska Revisited. Call them out on it. You'll (most likely) get nowhere with it, but it will draw the public's attention to this abhorrent behaviour.
Doesn't the license say that it's allowed to use the work, redistribute, or basically do whatever you want with it IF you redistribute it under the same or similar license. Doesn't that mean they should make their work publicly available, so the community can profit from their work?
Big_Noid Wrote:Doesn't the license say that it's allowed to use the work, redistribute, or basically do whatever you want with it IF you redistribute it under the same or similar license. Doesn't that mean they should make their work publicly available, so the community can profit from their work?

This is the part almost everyone misunderstand with floss. You need to redistribute it with the same license, you don't need to do it publically though. As long as those getting the product have access to it.

For example, if I buy an android phone it would be ok if I had to log in to a site using a password printed on the phone, i.e. so only people having the phone can download the kernel. Obviously those which have logged on are free (as the license describes) to further redistribute it to anyone else.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
if it is so obvious that things are "stolen" why don't you just try it in an "open" way, wich would reflect the philosophie behind xbmc and its strong community much better, instead of getting a lawyer to act against them.
so why don't you just write an open letter to the company saying: "lets face it you know you have borrowed code, ideas and work, so why don't you donate for xbmc or help the whole community by becoming a partner? if not you have to do things on your own, because from that point on licenses of skins will be changed. How about adding a credits site in settings menu? or aren't you able to do such easy things?" ... something like that, in a more polished way and than publish it on xbmc.org?
i think it's the other way around. Common sense says that they have to do that first instead using something free for profit.
Hitcher Wrote:Spurred on by this thread and this video which clearly shows that Alaska Revisited is being used.

What ways are there to protect a skin from being used in a commercial product without the creators consent?

Given your license , you've already given permission under given restrictions. Only thing you can do now are:
- change your license to prevent commercializing in the future;
- request attribution and sharing of their code.
That's all you can do.

My simple advise for:
skinners >> use the non commercial license;
Addon coders >> Use at least GPL v3. stay away from gpl v2.
sergiocos Wrote:i think it's the other way around. Common sense says that they have to do that first instead using something free for profit.
no doubt about that... Cool
but obviously it didn't happen and as i understood the license of alaska right there is no real chance to stop them except making there bad habits public...Nod
vanMiez Wrote:no doubt about that... Cool
but obviously it didn't happen and as i understood the license of alaska right there is no real chance to stop them except making there bad habits public...Nod

The problem lies with skinners using licenses which can be used commercial but in the meanwhile they don't want that....
KiSUAN Wrote:Also cover flow patent is crap and a rip-off of the patent of Mirror Worlds, and holds no water whatsoever, so if anyone sue, would be Mirror Worlds, not Apple. Not even addressing that a patent for something like "cover flow" is a joke, is like a patent for a square, it's a freaking diagram that a 5 year old can come up with.

That was the best counter example I could think of. I don't care for the patent either but it is legit. Apple won the Mirror Worlds cover flow case and still hold the patent. I don't think Mirror Worlds would ever dare sue anyone again, especially after all three of their patents were debunked.
Thanks for the replies. This is what I was after - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported

I guess the only way to protect textures would be to use an unofficial repo so they're only available as a texture.xbt.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Protecting skins from commercial use0