"the" items (artists, albums, songs?)
Rainbow 
please make it optional (i still prefer "the" listed first), ...pretty please with suger on top, pretty please with suger on top with whipped cream and a cherry Confusedaint:
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i still prefer "the" listed first
yeah, me too. it's just pain in the eyes to find "the" in places that aren't expected.
while i can't imagine why anyone would want the word "the" listed first, i say give it to them as long as it's optional.
i'm getting sick of this discussion so i added an option to video and music so that this can be enabled and disabled.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Thumbs Up 
(kraqh3d @ aug. 21 2005,17:15 Wrote:i added an option to video and music so that this can be enabled and disabled.
thank you! :bowdown: @RockDawg, personaly i prefer 'the' first because the movie is called "the matrix", not "matrix" nor "matrix, the" :p
while putting in the option, i noticed something a little odd... the "the " sorting was also present in movies files view. now, i can understand title view since it's supposed to have "correct" information, but i didnt expect it in files view. i was considering removing it completely from there. what do u all think?
if it's in file view it doesn't work. i always use file view and if it was doing "the " sorting i would have been complaining here also :d
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
the way that files are sorted in the file view in videos has recently been changed back to sorting by the word "the". i don't like this, and i don't really understand why it was switched back. i've got a bunch of foreign films on my computer and they come up with funky names from the imdb, which is why i use the file view. for example - "the good, the bad, and the ugly" comes up as "buono, il brutto, il cattivo, il". as i am not an italian speaker (nor korean, chinese, japanese etc.... i've got a lot of kung fu), this drives me nuts. so... i guess my question is - why was this changed back? and my suggestion is - can we sort without "the" or at least make it an option in the settings like it is for the other views?

thanks
try searching next time... upgrade your version. i removed it from files, and made it optional for title and library views.
i apologize, i meant no disrespect. i'm running a version that i compiled tuesday (through revision 1.1424), and i don't see anything in the changelog about this matter that has changed since then (1.1419 looks like the last time).

it is in files that i'd like to have "the" not recognized, or across the board with the preference setting. i use the files view to access my video files for the reasons i explained earlier.

thanks
sorry. i misread your note. you are correct. the option does not extend to files view... with good reason.

files view sorts by filename. xbmc should not be making any assumption in files view. if you dont want an item sorted with "the ", remove it from your filename. you have direct control over how your files are named.

(kraqh3d @ aug. 25 2005,23:56 Wrote:files view sorts by filename. xbmc should not be making any assumption in files view. if you dont want an item sorted with "the ", remove it from your filename. you have direct control over how your files are named.
i don't understand why this feature can't be extended to the 'files view'. i don't have internet hooked up to my xbox so 'files view' is my only option.
i believe my answer explained it adequately.
i agree with killerbee123 here - it seems very strange, inconsistent, and unintuitive that there is a "general" sorting option, but it only applies to certain views.

where are you getting this idea that xbmc should be making "no assumptions" in files view? it currently makes a ton of assumptions, i.e. the file name cleaning, extensions removing, and reg-ex matching and stacking. how is this any different?

if there is an option for this, why should it not also apply to files view?

if the answer is just that it makes more coding work to do, i'll be happy to put it on my plate - i am leaning more and more towards this sorting method, and i use file view almost exclusively.

additional gripe: why is this only applied to "the"? there are a number of other similar prefixes that it seems it would also make sense to ignore, in addition to "the". in particular, this is very english-specific, and if i am sorting a list of films in another language, this doesn't help much.

that brings me to the conclusion: obviously it doesn't make much sense to hard-code every possible "ignorable" word for every language. so it seems that this would be best handled the way we are doing stacking - via regex. why not have a configurable "sort-ignore" set of patterns - then when sorting, the sort order would be determined on a special set of cleaned up file names, based on these regex expressions. given that most of the code is already there to do this, it doesn't seem like it would be much work.

and again, i would have this sorting done at the display level, regardless of whether we are in a db view or files view - if the user has explicitly set that option, they will certainly be confused as to why it only works "sometimes".
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"the" items (artists, albums, songs?)0