Losing links to external HDD
I have all of my music stored on an 1TB external HDD which is linked to my home PC and is usually labelled drive G:. Last night I wanted to transfer a film from my laptop to my home PC, so used a spare 60GB external HDD as the film was larger than any of the USB keys I have. However I made the mistake of plugging in the small HDD before turning the PC on. Therefore when it assigned the drive letters, it gave the smaller HDD letter G: and my 1TB drive letter H:. This meant that once I removed the smaller drive XMBC couldn't find any of my music as the path was no longer valid.

I got round this by reassigning letter G: to my 1TB drive so that the links worked. However I had to rescan everything into the library as as far as XBMC was concerned it was a new source. When I went into Music alot of the information that I'd spent hours scraping and adding manually (cover art and album texts) had been lost, therefore now I have to go through my entire music collection re-scraping the album details and re-adding cover art to alot of my cd's. I was under the impression that XBMC added all of this detail to the file folders or metadata, meaning I wouldn't have to manually add everything again? Seems I was wrong!

I've kind of corrected the problem by transferring all my music to the PC's internal 1TB drive so that the drive letter will never change if another drive is plugged in, but it's still a pain in the backside having to re-do what I spent hours doing in the first place! Sad
Hooblue Wrote:I have all of my music stored on an 1TB external HDD which is linked to my home PC and is usually labelled drive G:. Last night I wanted to transfer a film from my laptop to my home PC, so used a spare 60GB external HDD as the film was larger than any of the USB keys I have. However I made the mistake of plugging in the small HDD before turning the PC on. Therefore when it assigned the drive letters, it gave the smaller HDD letter G: and my 1TB drive letter H:. This meant that once I removed the smaller drive XBMC couldn't find any of my music as the path was no longer valid.

I got round this by reassigning letter G: to my 1TB drive so that the links worked. However I had to rescan everything into the library as as far as XBMC was concerned it was a new source. When I went into Music alot of the information that I'd spent hours scraping and adding manually (cover art and album texts) had been lost, therefore now I have to go through my entire music collection re-scraping the album details and re-adding cover art to alot of my cd's. I was under the impression that XBMC added all of this detail to the file folders or metadata, meaning I wouldn't have to manually add everything again? Seems I was wrong!

I've kind of corrected the problem by transferring all my music to the PC's internal 1TB drive so that the drive letter will never change if another drive is plugged in, but it's still a pain in the backside having to re-do what I spent hours doing in the first place! Sad

you could just right-click My Computer (Computer in Vista or Newer) select manage, and reassign your drive to the correct letter.
AFTER doing the above starting XBMC it will treat the sources correct.
isamu.dragon Wrote:you could just right-click My Computer (Computer in Vista or Newer) select manage, and reassign your drive to the correct letter.
AFTER doing the above starting XBMC it will treat the sources correct.

That's exactly what I did to reassign the correct drive letter (GSmile to my external HDD. However even after I'd done this XBMC still lost all of the information from the music I had originally changed such as album info and cover art.
You must have done something wrong then because paths in the database wouldn't have changed you can delete your source.xml and everything will still work because the path remains in the db

Did you restart your PC after you changed the drive letter back ?
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:You must have done something wrong then because paths in the database wouldn't have changed you can delete your source.xml and everything will still work because the path remains in the db

Did you restart your PC after you changed the drive letter back ?

No, I don't think I did.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Losing links to external HDD0