XBMC - Sort movies by title AND year, possible?
Hi!

Is it possible to sort the movies alfabetically and chronologically?

F.ex. I have Star Wars 1-6, and I want them to be in "S" in the movies order, but I also want them to be in the correct order.

The same with f.ex. Harry Potter. It's like 7 (8?) movies, and they're all random, because of their names.

So...I guess the easiest would be to sort alfabetically, then by year right?

Suggestions?
Hello,

You have a couple different options I believe.

First, there is the option on the "context" menu to rename a movie. You could, for instance, Rename your Star Trek movies to something like,
Star Trek 1 - Real Title
Star Trek 2 - Real Title
Star Trek 3 - Real Title
etc....
This may get you where you want to be. You can also use the "Movie Set" feature of XBMC.
See here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Movie_Sets

This will group all of your movies of the same series together under one title on the main menu. Within that title you will find all of the series movies in their correct order (as done within the nfo file).

Hopr this helps,
Mark
NorDemoniac Wrote:Hi!

Is it possible to sort the movies alfabetically and chronologically?

F.ex. I have Star Wars 1-6, and I want them to be in "S" in the movies order, but I also want them to be in the correct order.
Suggestions?

mwkurt Wrote:Hello,

First, there is the option on the "context" menu to rename a movie. You could, for instance, Rename your Star Trek movies to something like,
Star Trek 1 - Real Title
Star Trek 2 - Real Title
Star Trek 3 - Real Title

Haha, was this on purpose? Big Grin
I second doing movie sets. They really work well.
I think the bigger problem is that there WERE ONLY 3 STAR WARS MOVIES.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:I think the bigger problem is that there WERE ONLY 3 STAR WARS MOVIES.
Which planet have you been living on?
The world has had to put up with 6 god dam awfull Star Wars Movies.
On topic........
You could also sort your movies by year ascending or descending.
The way i would do it is create a movie set then sort them by year within the set.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Japaja Wrote:Haha, was this on purpose? Big Grin

Star Wars....Star Trek....same thing, different day! Big Grin
Im not 100% sure but you might be able to use "sort title" in the NFO. I use this in Ember for sorting smovies that are part of a set, it might work in the same way for movies like this in a normal view but im not 100% sure.

I think the sytax in the movie.nfo is like this:

<sorttitle>
Star Wars 1 or SW1
</sorttitle>
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

Sort title does work outside sets but obviously the set name needs to match in this case apart from the number

If you don't have nfo's already you can just use the sort title plus the movie url for that particular movie and then refresh each one, for example

The Matrix

Code:
<movie>
    <sorttitle>The Matrix 1</sorttitle>
</movie>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/

The Matrix Reloaded

Code:
<movie>
    <sorttitle>The Matrix 2</sorttitle>
</movie>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234215/

But as said above using sets would probably be better you can use XWMM if you don't want to use nfo's to do this

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=wxmm
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thank you for all the nice suggestions!

I didn't think of just renaming in the context-menu. That would be the easiest, as it's mainly one computer (the HTPC) which has the movies in its library. The laptops and other computers normally just have the TV Shows.

I think I will try with just using the context menu, and use the NFO if I get several clients with movie library. That will create a cleaner solution.

Edit:

If I were to try NFO on f.ex. Star Wars, is it possible to just define collection and sort the folder by year? So that the names are original?

Would it be the following:

Code:
<movie>
    <set>Star Wars</set>
</movie>

And create 6 of these *.NFOs and name one after each moviefile?
NorDemoniac Wrote:If I were to try NFO on f.ex. Star Wars, is it possible to just define collection and sort the folder by year? So that the names are original?

Would it be the following:

Code:
<movie>
    <set>Star Wars</set>
</movie>

And create 6 of these *.NFOs and name one after each moviefile?

Yes you could do that but if your not using a full nfo then you must include the movie URL for the movie that the nfo is for otherwise it wont work

Why not just add the sort title as well then you don't have to worry they will always appear in the correct order, sort title isn't visible in XBMC the original title is its only used for sorting into the correct order

Code:
<movie>
    <set>Star Wars</set>
    <sorttitle>Star Wars 1</sorttitle>
</movie>

As I said previously XWMM will create sets without the need for nfo's and you won't need to refresh each movie in the set either
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Oh, I thought I would get the sorttitle. Thank you! I will try this.

Will also look into XWMM, thanks for your help!

Will XWMM actually create NFOs or what? If I'm going to use several computers in the future, I would like the libraries to look the same. Will XWMM let me do that? I can see that the NFOs will solve this "problem".
You have a choice of different things you can do, you could use a media manager like "Ember Media Manager" to scrape your artwork and create nfo's which will be stored with your media it also has a sets manager then when you scan this content into other systems it will always be the same

Another choice is to use XWMM and then when your finished export your library in XBMC using the "separate" files option this will send all your artwork and nfo's again to be stored with your media

Other options for moving to another machine if you don't have local artwork and nfo's as above is to export to a single file then import on the new machine or if your movie/tv source on each machine is going to be exactly the same just copy your "userdata" folder across to the new machine this is all I do to save scanning again as its instant

I have artwork and nfo's with my media as I like to choose my artwork and if I have to ever rebuild my library its all there and only takes a short time, I use Ember for this
Hi, sorry to bump an old thread but I think this is a feature that should be baked into the default functionality more. In the sort-by options, I really believe their should be an option to sort by Set, or ideally, sort by Title but group by set. The library should be sorted (in this configuration) by Title as usual but when it finds a movie that belongs to a set (with other movies in that set in the library) it will put them all next to the first movie in the set in the set order. I'm manually achieving this right now with nfo files but it's quite cumbersome for large libraries and strikes me as the kind of thing that should be a lot easier.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - Sort movies by title AND year, possible?0