[New Feature] Advanced Launcher ROM Support - EXPERTS ONLY
Ok this is something out of the ordinary for me. I am making something that is quite difficult to get working fully. I wanted it for myself, so I did it and thought others could benefit. Its tough, BUT, if you're up for it, it can be REALLY sweet!

In order to do this you will need ALOT of image support. I used a great app located here.

This also assumes that you have set the cover art with something like Advanced Launcher or Rom Collection Browser.

I currently support NES and SNES only. I am working on Genesis and may move into others but not right now.

You will need a folder structure filled with their corresponding images that looks like this:

skin.simplicity
>media
>>optional
>>>advanced launcher
>>>>NES
>>>>>cartridges
>>>>>screenshots
>>>>>titles (these are title screens from the games)
>>>>SNES
>>>>>box-3d (these are 3-d box covers)
>>>>>cartridges
>>>>>screenshots
>>>>>titles (these are title screens from the games)

If you have the necessary images in those folders. You can get the following views within Simplicity. All images arent necessary it will just make some views look bad. You can still use other views, just not all of them.

Here are the views:

NES:

-
-
-
-
To learn more, click here.
SNES

-
-
-
-
-

-

Further Customization (optional of course)

-
This looks awesome. I am going to try it out tonight. Question: Where did you get all your cartridge images and such. Does AL have a scraper for those as well, or did you grab them from another site? I would like to help you would with this with the controller, company, and console images etc. if you need help. I am no stranger to searching the web for images to my videogames.

Thanks!
Atreides Wrote:This looks awesome. I am going to try it out tonight. Question: Where did you get all your cartridge images and such. Does AL have a scraper for those as well, or did you grab them from another site? I would like to help you would with this with the controller, company, and console images etc. if you need help. I am no stranger to searching the web for images to my videogames.

Thanks!

Check out the site I linked. Rom Collection Browser will scrape lots of it but for ALL of it. Check out that sites download utility.
Man, sorry I missed that on your first post. That program seems awesome, I will definitely try it out. I went and downloaded the Simplicity skin from xbmc repository through XBMC, and the advanced launcher views are not there. Do I need to go to the github, or are you going to update the repository soon? Thanks!
Atreides Wrote:Man, sorry I missed that on your first post. That program seems awesome, I will definitely try it out. I went and downloaded the Simplicity skin from xbmc repository through XBMC, and the advanced launcher views are not there. Do I need to go to the github, or are you going to update the repository soon? Thanks!

Yeah, Git is always best but they havent been upped just yet. They will be tonight. Smile
Does this mean that it would be possible to update Simplicity through repos and have these views available? (and how did you set a custom icon for the Shortcuts on home?, all I get is the standard "Application" on (that looks like a terminal))..

Keep it up. My new favorite skin by far!

EDIT 20:40. Damn your fast igotdvds, I edited this while you where quoting. Didnt want to rush you.
slekvak Wrote:Hi!

Great skin. My new favorite!

I have been trying to work this feature out, but the views are not available. I use SVN version last updated 11. may 2011. Is the one from GIT newer? Have you stopped updating the repos?

Thanks, and keep the good work up!!

Crap! Forget to upload to the GIT. I'll upload tonight.
slekvak Wrote:Does this mean that it would be possible to update Simplicity through repos and have these views available? (and how did you set a custom icon for the Shortcuts on home?, all I get is the standard "Application" on (that looks like a terminal))..

Keep it up. My new favorite skin by far!

EDIT 20:40. Damn your fast igotdvds, I edited this while you where quoting. Didnt want to rush you.

You can edit the icons yourself when adding "Shortcuts" in skin settings. I provide NES and SNES icons. They are in media/simplicity/icons.
I can only define "Fanart" under Shortcuts? Is this because I'm using an old version of the skin? I have not been able to update it to the last version due to "dependencies not met". I'm on nightly. I don't know what dependencies that are missing for the update though...
hey igotdvds. Do you really need that folder structure? I only use the 2 images that Advanced Launcher providers directly, In that case can I skip the whole folder structure thing?
fr500 Wrote:hey igotdvds. Do you really need that folder structure? I only use the 2 images that Advanced Launcher providers directly, In that case can I skip the whole folder structure thing?

For some views, yes. Sorry.Sad
Hey igotdvds,

I've been away from here for a while. What is 'broken' on a Dharma in your latest GIT?

I am tempted to use it and try the ROM launcher! LaughBig Grin

Still doing good work I see! Nod
t2ffn Wrote:Hey igotdvds,

I've been away from here for a while. What is 'broken' on a Dharma in your latest GIT?

I am tempted to use it and try the ROM launcher! LaughBig Grin

Still doing good work I see! Nod

Not sure. I dont think too much is "broken", there are just ALOT of features that arent available. I strongly encourage you to get the nightlies and enjoy all the cool new stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[New Feature] Advanced Launcher ROM Support - EXPERTS ONLY0