How to mount XBMC HDD in a Freenas server?
Hi All

I need help... i tried posting this in the 'Off Topic' forum but i don't have permissions to post there !!

Before you go flaming me hehe.... i do know already that this is more a Linux issue, i'm just trying to get my XBMC machine up and running :-)

My problem is:

I have just built a new XBMC HTPC running: http://www.openelec.tv/

I now need to populate the XBMC hard disk with all of my media which is currently stored on my Freenas server.

I have connected the XBMC hard disk to the Freenas server via SATA cable and have added the disk via Disk Management.

I have a problem however, i cannot mount the drive in order to then copy the data from the Freenas ZFS Mirror.

I have tried all options available in the Disks|Mount Point|Management section but the status is always shown as 'Error - Retry '.

What am i doing wrong?? :-)

I am using Freenas:

Version 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 5543)
Built on Sat Nov 6 08:54:38 CET 2010
OS Version FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p3 (revision 199506)
Platform amd64-embedded on AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+

Thanks in advance.

Trebz
I dunno much about FreeNAS but could it be a file system issue? Like the HDD in your FreeNAS server is formatted in UFS and the HDD from your HTPC is formatted in NTFS and that's why it won't copy?
Just a guess though.
The XBMC build is on a Linux file system..... but i'm not sure what file system or how Freenas will see it............

Still trying every option available but nothing works...i could always FTP i suppose...i just wanted to transfer it quickly... over the motherboard SATA interface instead of via USB 2.0.
Quote:What am i doing wrong?? :-)
What you are doing wrong is a too advanced solution Wink.

I assume freeNas will mount USB? If so buy a SATA => USB "dock" and you are set. You will find many use for that and it is not that expensive.

With that said, of course your way should work...but I cant help you.

BTW..why not keep the media in the NAS? That is the goal for many of us. As soon as I move I will get a NAS.
vikjon0 Wrote:What you are doing wrong is a too advanced solution Wink.

I assume freeNas will mount USB? If so buy a SATA => USB "dock" and you are set. You will find many use for that and it is not that expensive.

With that said, of course your way should work...but I cant help you.

BTW..why not keep the media in the NAS? That is the goal for many of us. As soon as I move I will get a NAS.

Hi there

The media is being kept in the NAS, the XBMC machine has been built for my parents, i have made backup .ISO copies of all of their DVD's and stored them on my NAS, now that the XBMC PC is built (had to wait for hardware) i want to COPY the .iso files from my NAS onto the XBMC hard drive.
Keep in mind that FreeNAS is build upon FreeBSD, which is not linux.

But that doesn't matter. What you are doing should work.
Are you on FreeNAS version 7? If yes, this page might be helpful.

If you are on version 8, well I don't know. It should be similar, look around.

You probably already know this, but you'll need to get to the Command Line of your FreeNAS system to do the copy (ie via SSH).

Perhaps doing the transfer over the network would be easier (but longer)?
I don't think FreeNAS supports EXT2/3/4. You're going to have to either put the drive into a linux machine, then copy the files over network or something else.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to mount XBMC HDD in a Freenas server?0