XBMC crashes on any attempt to play a video file
Hi all,

I just compiled XBMC from git, with the intention of getting GPU hardware acceleration working on Ubuntu 11.04 with an AMD Radeon 5450 card. However when I try and run any video file XBMC crashes with the error:

Code:
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/damian/.smb/smb.conf":
    No such file or directory
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/damian/.smb/smb.conf.append":
    No such file or directory
Running DIL (3.6.0) Version
DtsDeviceOpen: Opening HW in mode 0
DtsDeviceOpen: Create File Failed
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libva: libva version 0.31.1
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/damian/xbmc_crashlog-20110611_205409.log

Any help much appreciated. Here are some more tech details:
Ubuntu 11.04 i686
Installed via git clone: git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
Git version: 20110611-ae07638
Debug log: http://pastebin.com/zPYZHuZ4
You've compiled with vdpau support?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
vdrfan Wrote:You've compiled with vdpau support?

Yup, VDPAU and VAAPI support, same as I did last time (about 6 months ago). The only difference is I am now running natty, using an SSD as my primary drive and downloaded libva/-dev as part of the standard distro as apposed to using some 1 year old version of it that I found somewhere on the internet.

Getting hardware acceleration working with AMD cards always seems to be a real pain, but this time my powers of Google searching are failing on me.
Thanks for the hint, took me a day for the light bulb to go off though and look up what exactly VPDAU is for. I removed all it's libraries and recompiled.

I now have exactly the same symptom except with a new error about libva get_driverName() returns 0. Google searching looks more promising for this one though, back to the messing about with libraries.
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. I have installed xbmc from the live CD(Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS) and it crashes when i play videos. Music/weather/etc on the other hand are working fine.

I also have an AMD Radeon 5450 with 1GB RAM. What i have noticed is that if i change the video mode(the settings menu) from Automatic to Software it is not crashing but since it's software, HD movies are not fluid.
I guess your problem, like as mine, are related to the graphics driver.
If you have any news please share them as i am also looking for a solution.
er hello vdpau is only for NVIDIA CARDS.... no wonder it crashes.... libva and vaapi only pls, Im no expert on ATI cards but this one is blatant...

please refer to http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99154 as a guide to get your hardware accelerated and working.... Hint look at the libraries part onwards of the how-to..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashes on any attempt to play a video file0