• 3(current)
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?
I spent so much time programming my remote with eventghost, this is exactly what I wish I had back then.. just ordered one Smile and can I second that I'd love to see this work with apple remotes fully
Is there a way to make shipping less expensive?

I was in the process of ordering one, but "Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box** (6 - 10 business days) - $13.95" is overkill, isn't it?
Rudolf, which country are you from? I ordered one from the Netherlands, and it turns out that the device plus shipping minus coupon (see blog.flirc.tv) is less than 20 euro -depends a bit on the conversion rate- which is a reasonable amount for such a device.
I know you did, I´ve seen your thread on tweakers.net. Big Grin
The price is quite good, even with shipping included, but the shipping is as expensive as the device itself.
It is indeed as much as the device itself, you can ask the developer himself via the support page, normally he reacts almost instantly. (When he is awake, remember the time zones). To me he explained that this shipping method is the most cost efficient.
RudolfR Wrote:Is there a way to make shipping less expensive?
Find a few friends, and buy several flirc's.
teaguecl Wrote:Find a few friends, and buy several flirc's.

Interesting that you say this. In about a couple months I'll be opening the discussion with distributors to get some better options for people.

The small flat rate box is the best option I found. I can stick as many flircs as I can fit in the box and it remains ~13.95. Where other shipping methods cost will be dependent on the weight. But what always drives international pricing shipping cost is customs.

I'm humbly surprised by the amount of interest outside the United States. About 2/3 of all the orders have been outside the US, I would have thought this would have been the other way around.

Again, I hear you loud and clear, and I'll keep looking for other options.

Thanks everyone.
I thought the shipping cost was nice and low.. I live in hawaii so USPS flat rate is often the only reasonable shipping type I can get.. USPS or fedex often increase costs from $8-12 to $45-50 even for tiny items
I have not been configuring IR commands that much. Is there a way to send standby-resume commands using flirc under Windows?
Holy crap, this is EXACTLY what i need. My current HTPC project is an old DVD recorder case, and I wanted to keep the remote. Mapping keyboard keys to the remote button keys seems dead obvious to me. Why hasn't it been done like this before!

(buying one ASAP!)
Torroa Wrote:I have not been configuring IR commands that much. Is there a way to send standby-resume commands using flirc under Windows?

Yeah, I will make a special button to pair with 'wake up'. This will be an intermediate solution to the way it will eventually work. Flirc will detect the computer is sleeping, the next button press will send a wakeup command to the pc.

We are working on a tremendous architecture overhaul. Basically, the GUI will be made up of different views. A minimalist, keyboard view, XBMC Shortcuts, WMCE Shortcuts, etc.

The new architecture will support plugins. If you have a specific set of shortcuts you would also like to see in the GUI, you don't have to ask, you can provide an XML file and a Graphics file, using ours as examples, and it will work seamlessly inside the application.

I'll have a formal Blog post about this soon, as the first release will be posted pretty shortly.

As soon as this is is released, I will begin working on improving the firmware and getting in the sleep button, it shouldn't take long.

Thanks everyone, I check the threads regularly, feel free to post here on shoot me an email via the flirc support website.

Sincerely,
Jason
How does this work with Harmony? What device do you add? And how will Flirc know not to listen to "up" when I am trying to tell my tv's menu up?) (I don't have a Harmony yet so forgive me... Smile)
Looks really good. I am tempted to buy one. Shipping is expensive but I have noticed that shipping from the USA is always insanely more expensive than from the rest of the world (europe, asia etc) , I'm in NZ. One just has to scroll through ebay to notice the massive difference in shipping costs from the usa compared to other places. One of the few things that I think Americans pay way more for than the rest of the world.

Is it fast? no lag with pressing buttons etc? Some of these learning remotes seem to add huge lag on the end of key presses (logitech especially). Makes scrolling horrible.
Zedd Wrote:I'm of the same mind I really want to use my current cable remote (comcast) which runs the DVR and TV already with my HTPC, this sounds like a viable solution. Will be purchasing for sure when I get around to the HTPC part of my project, right now still finishing the NAS side.

As I was programming my new FLIRC, I found out something nice to know about the Directv DVR remote, and maybe other DVR/Cable/TV remotes as well.

When you set up the remote, you choose the additional devices for each of the switch settings. Mine has 4 positions: DVR, AV1, AV2, TV. I chose AV1 to control my XBMC running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I was choosing different brands of DVD remotes to emulate, but different buttons worked for different brands, and never all of the buttons on the remote. Then I noticed a choice for a second Directv DVR. When I choose that, I get access to ALL of the buttons and it doesn't interfere with my actual satellite receiver/DVR! I can map every button, even the DirecTV specific ones, to whatever keyboard keys I want.

It might be obvious, but it is something I thought was cool about FLIRC. It doesn't care what device the remote actually controls. It just needs a unique code from each button you want to use. If you are using a universal remote, set it up first for the device that gives you access to the most buttons. Then map those buttons to keyboard keys or key combos via FLIRC.

buzz
jasonkotzin Wrote:Yeah, I will make a special button to pair with 'wake up'. This will be an intermediate solution to the way it will eventually work. Flirc will detect the computer is sleeping, the next button press will send a wakeup command to the pc.

We are working on a tremendous architecture overhaul. Basically, the GUI will be made up of different views. A minimalist, keyboard view, XBMC Shortcuts, WMCE Shortcuts, etc.

The new architecture will support plugins. If you have a specific set of shortcuts you would also like to see in the GUI, you don't have to ask, you can provide an XML file and a Graphics file, using ours as examples, and it will work seamlessly inside the application.

I'll have a formal Blog post about this soon, as the first release will be posted pretty shortly.

As soon as this is is released, I will begin working on improving the firmware and getting in the sleep button, it shouldn't take long.

Thanks everyone, I check the threads regularly, feel free to post here on shoot me an email via the flirc support website.

Sincerely,
Jason

Am eagerly awaiting a wake up operation as well, but I am quite happy with flirc, it allowed me to not have to have two remotes.

I was getting "transfer error" signals from the software and I couldn't find any documentation on it, not that it doesn't exist, just didn't find it. I reset my remote to factory and started over and working just fine now in case someone stumbles on this issue as well.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?1