• 4(current)
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?
Kilack Wrote:Looks really good. I am tempted to buy one. Shipping is expensive but I have noticed that shipping from the USA is always insanely more expensive than from the rest of the world (europe, asia etc) , I'm in NZ. One just has to scroll through ebay to notice the massive difference in shipping costs from the usa compared to other places. One of the few things that I think Americans pay way more for than the rest of the world.

Is it fast? no lag with pressing buttons etc? Some of these learning remotes seem to add huge lag on the end of key presses (logitech especially). Makes scrolling horrible.

No lag at all, although it doesn't appear to yet know that a key is held down if I rapidly press a button it will change as quickly as i can press the button.
Zedd Wrote:Am eagerly awaiting a wake up operation as well, but I am quite happy with flirc, it allowed me to not have to have two remotes.

I was getting "transfer error" signals from the software and I couldn't find any documentation on it, not that it doesn't exist, just didn't find it. I reset my remote to factory and started over and working just fine now in case someone stumbles on this issue as well.

I fixed the overall stability in a recent firmware release. You can contact me via the support site and I'll send you a copy where you can update your unit via the GUI. This should fix those transfer errors or if the device should stop responding.

The firmware will be released in the next version of the GUI, aiming towards this weekend.
Zedd Wrote:No lag at all, although it doesn't appear to yet know that a key is held down if I rapidly press a button it will change as quickly as i can press the button.

That's correct, I may address this in a firmware update with a customizable 'interkey-delay' config parameter. If you make it long enough, it will catch rapid button presses.

I've been looking into additional remote support and we are finalizing the next release. Almost there...
Zedd Wrote:Am eagerly awaiting a wake up operation as well, but I am quite happy with flirc, it allowed me to not have to have two remotes.
I dont mean to knock flirc, but wouldn't just getting a learning remote solve this? Im sure the price wouldnt be too far off for a cheap one, plus it could control everything. I think what we need is an open hardware remote.

I dont need all the silly touchscreen crap Logitech offers in its premium line, but just something basic that would allow for custom buttons for instance to launch a DVD, run XBMC, etc. But have it all be editable (Not sure how easy it is with Logitech) Just a suggestion as I hate having 3 remotes, but the only one I like is my MCE XBMC one, and I can't program it.
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
jasonkotzin Wrote:That's correct, I may address this in a firmware update with a customizable 'interkey-delay' config parameter. If you make it long enough, it will catch rapid button presses.

I've been looking into additional remote support and we are finalizing the next release. Almost there...

What will be the firmware update route in the Linux CLI version? Will apt-get updates be able to address firmware or at least notify me of a new version to manually grab?
realityisterror Wrote:What will be the firmware update route in the Linux CLI version? Will apt-get updates be able to address firmware or at least notify me of a new version to manually grab?

The next version is going to have the firmware embedded inside the GUI, which is automatically updated with apt. The GUI will check if the running firmware is newer than embedded firmware, and prompt you to update it.

I don't think there is anyway to easily do this via apt, but I will look into it.
CASHMON3Y Wrote:I dont mean to knock flirc, but wouldn't just getting a learning remote solve this? Im sure the price wouldnt be too far off for a cheap one, plus it could control everything. I think what we need is an open hardware remote.

I dont need all the silly touchscreen crap Logitech offers in its premium line, but just something basic that would allow for custom buttons for instance to launch a DVD, run XBMC, etc. But have it all be editable (Not sure how easy it is with Logitech) Just a suggestion as I hate having 3 remotes, but the only one I like is my MCE XBMC one, and I can't program it.

Well for me it was not having to change to a completely new remote and have the family relearn where everything is. Sure they would get used to it but buying a learning remote for the two tv's positions in the house would be between 150-200 bucks vs 40 bucks for two flircs.

Flirc allows me to use the AUX position on the comcast remote which the family already uses, so I have high WAF and low cost.

If money isn't an issue and the occupants of your household don't mind relearning remote behavior then flirc probably isn't a good fit.
I've gotten some amazing feedback over the past month or so and the latest soon to be released software is a result. Here is a little sneak peek on my blog:

http://blog.flirc.tv/?p=199

We want to do a bit more testing, but this will be released within the next two days.

Thanks Everyone.
Looks awesome Jason, will you have user submitted templates on the site?
Just ordered 2 of these, they look great and can't wait to try it out. Cool
Zedd Wrote:Looks awesome Jason, will you have user submitted templates on the site?

Yup that's the plan. Just released this huge update, OSX is live. Going to compile linux and windows and have them posted today as well.
jasonkotzin Wrote:Yup that's the plan. Just released this huge update, OSX is live. Going to compile linux and windows and have them posted today as well.

All versions should be live, except a linux 64 bit compile, however, I've changed the flirc.deb file to a dynamic build, so even though the core application is 32 bits, it should run fine. I'll post the 64 bit version later this week.
Hi there,

one question about the flirc. I got mine a few weeks ago and used it with an old remote, everything is working fine (after some problems with the firmware, thanks again jason). Now I wanted to replace my old remote with an universal one to get rid of my amplifier remote.
I bought a cheap Harmony 300. Unfortunately the delay between keypresses is rather high making navigation a pain if the harmony is programmed to copy my old remote.
So only way out seem to programm it as an MCE remote (at least this allows holding down the direction keys). But after recording the commands with flirc i have to press every button twice to get one command (works the same way when holding down the keys).

Is this a problem with flirc or does my harmony something funny?
jasonkotzin Wrote:I don't think there is anyway to easily do this via apt, but I will look into it.

preinst
postinst
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Koshu Wrote:Hi there,

one question about the flirc. I got mine a few weeks ago and used it with an old remote, everything is working fine (after some problems with the firmware, thanks again jason). Now I wanted to replace my old remote with an universal one to get rid of my amplifier remote.
I bought a cheap Harmony 300. Unfortunately the delay between keypresses is rather high making navigation a pain if the harmony is programmed to copy my old remote.
So only way out seem to programm it as an MCE remote (at least this allows holding down the direction keys). But after recording the commands with flirc i have to press every button twice to get one command (works the same way when holding down the keys).

Is this a problem with flirc or does my harmony something funny?
I noticed this as well (working only every second button press) using a stock HP Vista MCE RC6 (this one: http://wiki.xbmc.org/images/6/6e/HPRemotenewer.jpg). I'd say try setting the Harmony up as 'Plex Player' - this will use the NEC protocol at 38kHz - but you still might have some Harmony lag so try the settings here.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?1