• 14(current)
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?
Just ordered the flirc ... hope I can get advice on setting it up!

cheers
remember flirc has a forum now with people ready to help (even if it is a bit empty at the moment.
http://forum.flirc.tv/

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
jasonkotzin Wrote:Long presses will be supported soon. I'm trying to knock a bug out happening to a few users on 'suspend wakeup'.

Go ahead and send me an email via the site, we'll figure out why it's detecting two presses.

~Jason

Just received my flirc with 1.0 firmware and installed with the .97 software, I'm experiencing the way issues with XBMC (Pre-Eden), after programming my Harmony Remote (Device: MCE Keyboard). I need to press every key twice before it will register with XBMC. Any advice?

Running Windows 7 x64
vansmak Wrote:Just received my flirc with 1.0 firmware and installed with the .97 software, I'm experiencing the way issues with XBMC (Pre-Eden), after programming my Harmony Remote (Device: MCE Keyboard). I need to press every key twice before it will register with XBMC. Any advice?

Running Windows 7 x64

For those interested, follow up on this forum: http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/9...y-presses/
may i also call HARMONY users please?
read this post here --> http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/2...ost__p__80
and report findings! works for you or not?
thanks Smile
For anyone that doesn't have support for long key presses, (Repeats when holding your remote button down), I have a beta firmware image you can test:

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/32-beta-release/

Just in case anyone missed this announcement on my blog.
FlircHuh

Best $20 dollar gizmo I've ever bought - absolutely brilliant - does what it says on the tin/can!!!

Transformed my HTPC into a useable system!
castalla Wrote:FlircHuh

Best $20 dollar gizmo I've ever bought - absolutely brilliant - does what it says on the tin/can!!!

Transformed my HTPC into a useable system!

It's still not clear to me where the value is. Isn't the "value" simply that it has an on-screen setup to help you pick what button on your remote does what?
voip-ninja Wrote:It's still not clear to me where the value is. Isn't the "value" simply that it has an on-screen setup to help you pick what button on your remote does what?

1) It just works with numerous remotes and remote protocols.
2) How much do you like ir keytables? Most people don't. Not to mention it costs about as much as my Legit MCE remote/receiver.

What I WOULD pay money for: A 3.5" blank with the receiver in it and an internal USB header with 10" cable. You could charge a pretty penny for that and there are plenty of people that would pay for it because there doesn't seem to exist another option for it.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Can someone explain to me what Flirc does exactly?

Why can't you just buy a $25 MCE remote which works fine with XBMC?

I must be missing something.

-------------
UPDATE - OK I think I get it...it's so you can use your regular TV remote with XBMC without having to buy a separate MCE remote. BUT...when you're using your TV remote to control XBMC doesn't the TV also respond to your button presses which can cause havoc?

Is this an alternative to getting, say, a Harmony?
mattchapman Wrote:Can someone explain to me what Flirc does exactly?

Why can't you just buy a $25 MCE remote which works fine with XBMC?

I must be missing something.

It did work just fine, until the newer kernels, which implemented lirc in the kernel.

So now if you want to program a new remote you.... meh, just read my thread.

Some people pay for convenience. I mean why even bother with an MCE receiver. It shouldn't take more than a day and $5 in parts to build your own with some stuff from Digikey.
Code:
voip-ninja Wrote:It's still not clear to me where the value is. Isn't the "value" simply that it has an on-screen setup to help you pick what button on your remote does what?

yeah well, if your an HArmony remote user + HP IR Receiver,
you may not need FLIRC i agree...
just set your harmony to emulate a keyboard and your done...
I'm a harmony user and got a flirc.

I have issues where there are some buttons on my remote that are not mappable through the software (it is an oem remote from a cable company). Flirc translates those signals into useable keystrokes. Thus, my "guide" button, takes me to the TV guide, etc.

Flirc makes it easier (at least for me) to create custom keystrokes for use in xbmc.

Also the receiver I was using was awful. It was slow and laggy. The flirc eliminated those issues.
mattchapman Wrote:UPDATE - OK I think I get it...it's so you can use your regular TV remote with XBMC without having to buy a separate MCE remote. BUT...when you're using your TV remote to control XBMC doesn't the TV also respond to your button presses which can cause havoc?

Is this an alternative to getting, say, a Harmony?

Every TV remote I've touched in the last 10 years is a "universal" remote. I have XBMC mapped to my "VCR" settings on my TV Remote.
Code:
This sounds like the perfect remote solution for my xbmc htpc. I have one doubt though... if I use my tv remote for the htpc (located next to my tv) won't the commands sent to the htpc also be other commands going to the TV at the same time? How does Flirc distinguish between different devices?
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?1