Optimal Settings for Best Video Playback??
My native Res on my TV is 1920x1080i and my Nvida card allows me to adjust the size of the desktop so that I can see everything. Otherwise the edges are not visible. When I use the nvidia desktop adjustment tool it seems to change my resolution to like 1872x1042 or something like that.

Does this have any effect on my video quality or would cause playback to be thrown off due to refresh rate, etc?

I have noticed lately that any movie that's not Hardware Accelerated will have a very jerky playback only during scenes where they pan back or go very wide. Like panning a landscape scene, the display jerks as they slowly pan. I am not really sure if there are optimal settings I need to use in the System Settings of XBMC.

Like what effect does : "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen"
have on the video output

Also are there recommendations on Video Settings:

Allow Hardware DXVA2 - I have that ON.
Adjust Display refresh rate to match video ??
Sync Playback to display ??

THanks guys!

B.
What you're seeing sounds like telecine judder. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#Telecine_judder for the gory details. Setting "Adjust Display refresh rate to match video" to enabled is the usual way to get round this. Try it and see if it makes any difference.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:What you're seeing sounds like telecine judder. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#Telecine_judder for the gory details. Setting "Adjust Display refresh rate to match video" to enabled is the usual way to get round this. Try it and see if it makes any difference.

JR

Thanks for the feedback. I will give that setting a try. Is it possible that my TV can also have settings that pertain to improving this as well? Or would that not work because the XBMC being the source has to be corrected first?

Thanks again!
I might be wrong but I don't think your native resolution would be 1080i (I don't think any monitors native res is 1080i) it is just a format that your TV supports. Native resolution would be whatever gives you 1:1 pixel mapping possibly the 1872x1042 (for my 1080i TV the native res is 1366x768) although 1872x1042 seems like a high native res fpr a 1080i TV.

I used this site to test my 1:1 pixel mapping was ok http://www.ckollars.org/lcdtest.html.

If you have it connected through a digital connection (DVi or HDMI) you may have trouble getting the exact resolution you want as it may only give you HD resolutions to choose from (1080i, 720p, 480p, etc). Again, I had eeprom problems with my TV and found that I got the best picture from using a vga cable.

If you are not using the native resolution you will find the you lose quality because the picture will get scaled either by your PC or the TV either way you will loose a bit of clarity.

Try and find out your native res from an official source and set your monitor to that.

This may all be nonsense but it may possible be some help.
retro11 Wrote:I might be wrong but I don't think your native resolution would be 1080i (I don't think any monitors native res is 1080i) it is just a format that your TV supports. Native resolution would be whatever gives you 1:1 pixel mapping possibly the 1872x1042 (for my 1080i TV the native res is 1366x768) although 1872x1042 seems like a high native res fpr a 1080i TV.

I used this site to test my 1:1 pixel mapping was ok http://www.ckollars.org/lcdtest.html.

If you have it connected through a digital connection (DVi or HDMI) you may have trouble getting the exact resolution you want as it may only give you HD resolutions to choose from (1080i, 720p, 480p, etc). Again, I had eeprom problems with my TV and found that I got the best picture from using a vga cable.

If you are not using the native resolution you will find the you lose quality because the picture will get scaled either by your PC or the TV either way you will loose a bit of clarity.

Try and find out your native res from an official source and set your monitor to that.

This may all be nonsense but it may possible be some help.

My TV has a native output of 1920x1080p but the HDMI input is limited to 1080i. It has a very good upscaler though.

I suppose then by what your saying that I should go with 1920x1080i for the 1 to 1 pixel ratio correct? However when I do that and load XBMC there are parts of the display I cannot see because the edge of the screen is below the viewable area. If I use the XBMC Video Calibrator it changes the resolution back to that strange 1872x1040. and don't quote me on that Res. Im certain thats not correct, I just can't think of what it is off the top of my head, nor am I at home where I can easily look. I just know that it's not 1920x1080 though.

Here are some quick specs on my TV:

Sony KDS-R60XBR1 Grand WEGA SXRD Rear Projection 60" HDTV, Native Resolution 1920 x 1080, Aspect Ratio: 16:9, CineMotion Reverse 3:2 Pulldown Technology; WEGA GATE
I just found this very useful posting and will give that a try tonight to help improve pic quality..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=725349&postcount=4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optimal Settings for Best Video Playback??0