First XBMC - Available Hardware
Hi everyone,

Obviously this is my first time posting here and I am new to this whole area of tech. Looking to setup our first HTPC and want to use XBMC to do so. Not sure what most efficient way of using my current hardware is, or what additional hardware I will need to create a workable and good solution.

Here's what I have right now.

1) Toshiba laptop, 160GB HD, Dual core processor. It's a pretty vanilla system and we use it with the kids, for checking email, etc. Basically just low end stuff that isn't going to need a lot of juice. Up until this month it has been our only computer and we used it for everything (watch streaming video like HGTV, or NHL games etc) Don't think this will really be entering the equation but thought I would list it in case.

2) Desktop with 2GB RAM (could upgrade to 4GB), E4600 2.4Ghz Processor, GeForce 9800GT Video card, and a 250GB Hard Drive, onboard sound. I use this for a bit of gaming, and a bunch of work related stuff it's my work/fun/home office computer and is connected to a monitor in my office.

3) A 500GB external Western Digital USB drive.

4) An XBox 360.

I would like to be able to purchase a 35-40" TV, decent surround sound (nothing fancy, just decent), and my HTPC setup for 1500-2000.

My question is what is the best way to fully utilize the hardware I have into a workable solution, and possibly buy something more.

Do I use the desktop, with the external drive as a sort of file server and then buy a separate machine to actually run the media off of?

Do I even need the Xbox any more (we use it for Netflix right now).

Should I perhaps only use the 500GB external drive just for some moderate file backup and instead buy a NAS drive general storage?

What we want to use it for is:

1) Mostly streaming. We don't do the torrenting deal, and basically want to be able to watch shows (I live in Canada), sports (NHL GameCentre etc), and listen to some music in our living room, on the TV, without having a cable bill. I realize there are plugins for XBMC, but what about other streaming sites that are not supported through plugins?

2) Gaming will be done on the desktop, but I don't do much of it, so no need to worry about beefing up an HTPC for that purpose.

Hopefully this makes sense, thanks for your time!
im in Canada too Smile

OK, your desktop beleive it or not,
is strong enough already to play 1080P Bluray movies!
Using win7, XBMC can enable HardWare Acceleration (DXVA2) and you'll the then eat 1080P for breakfest!

Now i understand your desktop is connected to a monitor in your office,
so probably best best for you is to build a low cost HTPC..

Have you seen/read my starter guide?
here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

There's builds example and alot of neat information for all new comers about HTPC's!

Also, if your not into building-it yourself, there's pre-built HTPC's (nettops)
you could look into...

because your a streamer, and im pretty much one too, there's many solutions for you!
ok we'll get back to that in a sec..

Now regarding XBMC plugins, well, were not in the USA, sucks for us because,
we cant get HULU in Canada.. well, not without using methods like VPN and its messy...

But we now have NetFlix which is great!
there's a NetFlix plugin for XBMC!

But here, you know what, i use Win7 on my HTPC,
whenever i need to stream youtube or browse the full web per se,
i just quit XBMC, and launch my Web Browser!
thats how i work Tongue
my little secret for browsing the full web is by using this wild Gyration Air GO Plus

because having a Youtube plugin for XBMC is cooL,
but its nothing like the real Online WebPage experience Tongue

OK, now, lets talk about the machines,,,

If your going with a pre-built one, and install win7 on it,
you can purchase this one here --> ZBOX-AD02-U $230!
all you need to do is buy 2GB's of RAM and an Hard Drive for installing win7 on it..
i can point you in the right directions for those if you want,,,

and on the custom builds,
if you take a look at this one here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post727463
its the equivalent of the ZBOX-AD02-U as they have the same CPU power & platform...
again, all you need to do is buy 2GB's of RAM and an Hard Drive for installing win7 on it..
i can point you in the right directions for those if you want,,,

OK, let me know which way u wanna go Smile
Hey Eskro,

Great to hear that this solution is going to work from a fellow Canuck. Thanks for your reply.

I had wondered about kicking back and forth between XBMC and the Web and it's good to hear that it's not too clunky. This seems like the option for me,

I did check out your starter guide but wasn't sure what I was even looking for, but now that I've got a bit more information I will revisit it.

I'm comfortable setting up my own hardware but unsure if the work is worth it or not, so I'll check out the links you left here.

Also, I don't mind paying a bit in terms of a VPN in order to have access to a broader set of media, is the performance decent going that route?
honestly,
i've haven't setup a VPN myself nor i know how it is speed wise...

sorry for that :/

however, this is what i know,,,.

To watch HULU in CANADA, or anywhere else,
you need to change your IP address to a USA IP address
and you are all set to watch Hulu...

A way to do this, is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN),
some info here --> http://ow.ly/1tMrdT

you should not be worried about anything, because VPNs are secure, reliable and legal.

One of the great reasons to watch Hulu using a VPN is because every time you will access Hulu,
it will be from a different USA IP address and Hulu will not mark you as an unauthorized user!
Instead it will consider you as one of its legal and paid subscriber!!

I might try this one day Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First XBMC - Available Hardware0