Stuck between two builds - help!
I've been reading various posts on the forums, as well as avs forums to get a good feel for a solid system to build. I've probably read too much, as I have been nit picking each component, as I always seem to find a bad review or something to make me look in another direction.

Right now I'm betwen two possible setups and wanted to get others thoughts on which would be better. I think performance should (?) be similar, so I'm figuring I'm missing something on the mITX build, as it prices out a bit cheaper - which is counter intuitive to me.

Here goes:

Common components for both builds:

[cpu] Intel Core i3-2100 = $99.99
[hd] Crucial Real SSD c300 64Gb = $115.99
[dvd] Samsung Blu Ray SATA model SH-B123L = $64.99

Components for mATX build:

[mobo] Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3 = $109.99
[ram] G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4Gb DDR3 1333 = $44.99
[psu] Antec Earthwatts EA-380D = $39.99
[case] Silverstone Grandia GD05B = $89.99

Total = $565.93

Components for mITX build:

[mobo] ASRock H67M-ITX LGA 1155 = $86.99
[ram] Corsair xms3 4Gb DDR3 SDRAM 1333 = $37.00 (wasn't sure if the extra space on the ripjaws would fit)
[case/psu] Thermaltake Element Q Mini Case = $54.99

Total = $460.94

Additional info about my situation:

1. I know it might be overkill as I don't plan on any 3D use (for now), but I'm comfortable with the price, and would rather have a system that will be good for several years, rather than having to upgrade in a year or two
2. Not sure on either config if I need additional fans - thoughts?
3. I obviously am planning on using the onboard video from the i3 rather than a dedicated video card. From what I've read, the display issue on the i3 isn't that significant, and if it bothers me, I can drop in a dedicated video card later.
4. My technical aptitiude is just enough to be dangerous - so I apologize for anything above that just doesn't make sense. I'm likely going to have help in building it (thankfully).
5. I'm planning on running XBMC through Windows 7
6. I have a 2Tb NAS for storage, I know the 64Gb drive is a bit more than necessary, but like I said, i'm comfortable with the price and it doesn't seem to be a bad idea to have a bit more room

So any thoughts on the systems regarding compatability, inferior hardware, or any reasons that the ITX isn't the better option? The overall size isn't a huge consideration for me, in that i'm comfortable with the size of the Silverstone case. But if the systems are comparable performance-wise, why not go with the cheaper and smaller option.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice/opinions!
altho a XBMC issue,
movies have macro-blocking issues
when using the i3 onboard video
which requires disabling Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2) to fix this...
Which means your CPU will work harder to decode the movies...

now your builds are similar of course..
THe microATX one is $100 more pricey but,
you have a well known htpc case, well ventilated,
a outstanding PSU from ANTEC,
RAM a tiny bit faster too,
and more PCI expansion slots for what addon cards you may need
(wifi, tv-tuner....)

on the other Hand, miniITX build is $100 cheaper,
will be on par with performance,
you can still add in a video card if needed,
but if u need wifi,
you'll have to use a usb dongle but thats if u bought a video card tho,,,
OH and yes, a 120mm fan is suggested
since your CPU heatSinkFan will be right under the PSU,,,
better going safe and put a fan there like many did and all is good....

Now my thoughts, well, just to run XBMC and stream youtube-HD or NEtFlix-HD,
price is overkill....
you dont even need that much power to fully play 1080P movies without a hitch and all!!
same for heavy XBMC skins like AEON MQ2.....

among other thoughts, USB3 for alot of us is not needed...
streaming movies off of a NAS only requires a 10/100MBs Lan connection
and im sure you have that with your NAS...

i mean, i know u read alot, and you probably read my guide,
but if not, have a read at it here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

you might change your mind who knows Smile

ok, hope this helps
Eskro - thanks for your comments, I was hoping to get some input from you. I have seen your guide, as well as many of your posts, so I definately welcome your thoughts.

A few follow up questions:

You seem to have high praise for the Silverstone case... do you have reservations on the thermaltake one?

What would you recommend for a 120mm fan? And you think this would only be needed on the itx build due to the tight space between the CPU fan and PSU?

I agree that the systems are overkill, as right now I will primarily be using for music and 1080p movies, as well as some gaming potentially (likely emulator based from older systems - nothing new) but I imagine in the next couple of years I will upgrade to 3D TV when there is more support for it . My thought is I would rather go through the process of buying things and putting together once, as it seems there is a lot of tinkering and tweaking to get XBMC in place, rather than going through building a new system. That being said, I wasn't aware of the macro blocking issue with the i3 - in your mind is that enough of a deterrent for the i3 versus say a pentium 5700, and then hope that the next chipset has better support and isn't an issue for an upgrade later on?

I'm planning to run all videos as mkv - does that impact the above question/issue?

I do have a gigabit switch on my router, so I'm set on my LAN

This may be better placed in another post, but is there any good remotes out there now? I see Motorola has a dedicated XBMC remote coming out later this month that looks good, but not much out there in terms of reviews or opinions yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuck between two builds - help!0