First NAS/Server
I am trying to get a NAS/Server that i could use alongside the HTPC that i want to build. The features that i mainly require is the ability to create a mysql database in order to create a sync-ed library.

HP Data Vault x510

I was wondering if anyone has used this Data Vault or if not any suggestions would be extremely helpful.
Many people here are either using unRAID or FreeNAS. As I'm one of the users who is using unRAID, I can only recommend you that.
The forum search should give you plenty of stuff to read about either option (unRAID/FreeNAS that is) and if you really want to check unRAID out, head over Lime Tech's website http://lime-technology.com/ or for getting you started read the FAQ here
+1 unRAID
The only problem it seems unRaid is that it might be too much in terms of size and price especially in comparison to the Data Vault which is £310 from dabs.com.

Is it possible to install another OS i.e a linux distro or FreeNas on that server ?
reksveks Wrote:The only problem it seems unRaid is that it might be too much in terms of size and price especially in comparison to the Data Vault which is £310 from dabs.com.

Is it possible to install another OS i.e a linux distro or FreeNas on that server ?

The only requirement I saw you list was that you wanted to install mysql on the same host, for what I assume is to support a shared library in xbmc.

Is that all you require?

If so, unless you have other requirements that are only met by some of these NAS packages other than just basic file serving capabilities. Why not just use an a copy of some distribution linux or even windows? Both can do a fine job of serving SMB to your xbmc clients just create shares and add them to the library, and on both of them you can install the mysql server code, you wont need anything else. If that is all you need you are killing a fly with a sledgehammer with these NAS packages and adding a lot more complexity to your configuration.
I was thinking that unRaid and even FreeNas might be over the top for my requirements which is pretty much just a shared library, and maybe a small backup of my laptop os.
reksveks Wrote:I was thinking that unRaid and even FreeNas might be over the top for my requirements which is pretty much just a shared library, and maybe a small backup of my laptop os.

If that is all you need you just can use the SMB file services that are provided with the windows or common linux distributions.
http://mediasonicinc.com/store/product_i..._id=150%20

This is a Great Box!

4 bay enclousre, auto power on/off with htpc connected either usb2.0 or esata. (Esata needs an htpc with Port Multiplier support. Rosewill has a two port esata with Port Multiplier support PCIE-1X for around $24 newegg)
(Think WOL from either a smart remote like andorid or iphone or from another xbmc box, main systems powers up with HD's, saves $$ on energy costs and proloings life of HD's, use 5400 green drives)

Support all 3.5" SATA I / II / III hard disk drive up to 3TB
Transfer rate up to 480Mbps via USB 2.0
Transfer rate up to 3.0Gbps via eSATA
Power Sync: Power off in synchronization with PC
Forced Convection Process
Smart Fan function
Thermal-Sensor built-in
Auto & Manual mode
3 level of speed
One button interface selection: Switch USB 2.0 or eSATA interface by pressing one button

Install mdadm and lvm2 and run raid5 or 6 attached to your xbmc box, no need for costly SW or sperate server builds. Mdadm and lvm2 use very very little of your processor. like around 1-3% if not re-syncing and during a re-sync I have no issues with watching movies or using the HD's in network (I can watch a BD movie on my main xbmc/video server and have 3 external xbmc boxes running at the same time with NO problems). A great ROI for $$$ spent with about 90-110MB throughput. A 4TB system would be around $300 if you buy drives on sale or 2 TB drives in raid1 config with room to grow.

Or they have another one that has the raid5 built into the HW for about 20-30 dollars more and no SW on your xbmc htpc. You would still need the port multiplier card unless you use the usb2.0 port.

Or go buy/build a seperate server, battery backup, buy some SW and leave it on 24/7 and waste energy. Rolleyes Bleeding edge stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First NAS/Server0