• 1(current)
XBMC with ATV2 from OSX Lion Machine
Has anyone looked into why media won't play when streaming from an OSX Lion machine to ATV 2?
go_dawgs Wrote:Has anyone looked into why media won't play when streaming from an OSX Lion machine to ATV 2?

Pastebin'ing a debug enabled xbmc.log is a good start.
I think it might be because SMB sharing isn't correctly implemented yet- either Apple have tweaked it slightly in Lion, or it's just not there!

By installing an app on your mac called Playback from Yazsoft it's possible to install a UPnP server and streaming is possible again!
Wait for the AFP/NFS Merge....
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
jockboy Wrote:I think it might be because SMB sharing isn't correctly implemented yet- either Apple have tweaked it slightly in Lion, or it's just not there!

By installing an app on your mac called Playback from Yazsoft it's possible to install a UPnP server and streaming is possible again!

They are dropping SMB in Lion.
Thewolf Wrote:They are dropping SMB in Lion.

Nope, it's still there, no changes in DP4 update 2. SMB, as it was in 10.5-6 is still there.
Thewolf Wrote:They are dropping SMB in Lion.

Not true, one of Lion's 250+ new features is SMB with DFS
http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/whats-new/features.html

I assume the tweaks are why it no longer works with XBMC
Gezz guys, why can't you read the actual info. Apple is dropping use of samba because samba devs changed the license to GPLv3 which is incompatible to their needs. BUT they are NOT dropping smb access/sharing. They moving to their own implementation.
They are moving to their own implementation WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH XBMC.

Any attempt to access a open (guest readable) smb share gives an error.
Covisp Wrote:They are moving to their own implementation WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH XBMC.

Any attempt to access a open (guest readable) smb share gives an error.

A beta with bugs? OMG, someone call the president.

Even in the absurd case were OS X 10.7's SMB sharing doesn't work, there are still 3rd party options for SMB that users can install.

Until the official release of 10.7, it's all speculation.
Ned Scott Wrote:A beta with bugs? OMG, someone call the president.

Even in the absurd case were OS X 10.7's SMB sharing doesn't work, there are still 3rd party options for SMB that users can install.

Until the official release of 10.7, it's all speculation.

The release of 10.7 is "July" so I'm pretty confident things like the SMB implementation are set at this late date. It works fine with windows 7, and I can't see Apple doing anything to get it working with samba. Or caring at all about any non-W7 SMB, in fact.
until Lion is released the questions like this are pointless, we cant give answers as we have no access to it.

you have it, which makes you a developer, why don't you tell us whats wrong?
amet Wrote:you have it, which makes you a developer, why don't you tell us whats wrong?

Several reasons, but the main one is that I am using SMB sharing to a W7 machine instead. Of course, XBMC is not playing many videos correctly even so, but that is a separate issue. the SBM to W7 works fine.
Covisp Wrote:Several reasons, but the main one is that I am using SMB sharing to a W7 machine instead. Of course, XBMC is not playing many videos correctly even so, but that is a separate issue. the SBM to W7 works fine.

I cant comment on this, I have no Lion OSX and no W7 either so I am of no help ... if SMB is not working in Lion final we will have to look for solution then... until that happens, and is confirmed not working, I wont lose any sleep over it
Covisp Wrote:The release of 10.7 is "July" so I'm pretty confident things like the SMB implementation are set at this late date. It works fine with windows 7, and I can't see Apple doing anything to get it working with samba. Or caring at all about any non-W7 SMB, in fact.

Other developers are stating that there are still several bugs with SMB even with DP2 preventing proper operation between 10.7 and Windows 7.

Worst case scenario seems to be that in order for XBMC to use SMB shares from 10.7 is that you have to use a user name and password. That is, until a 3rd party option/utility/whatever pops up. Heck, for all we know we can fix the issue with a yet-to-be documented terminal command.

Does anyone remember back in 10.4 when Mac OS X didn't even have any real way to manage individual SMB shares/folders?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with ATV2 from OSX Lion Machine0