Linux or Windows
bluray Wrote:If the installation doesn't include building a new htpc, I can see that you can get 5 existing htpc work with XBMC within 2 hours.

My installation always includes getting DTS-HD to work. Most of my BD movies have DTS-HD and a few of them with TrueHD. I built my home theater with 7.1 DTS-HD playback as a minimum in mind. Here are a few example- Gnomeo & Juliet (7.1 DTS-HD), Kungfu Panda (5.1 TrueHD), How to Train Your Dragon (5.1 TrueHD), Avatar (5.1 DTS-HD), The Forbidden Kingdom (7.1 DTS-HD), etc.
Your point being ... what exactly?:confused2:
poofyhairguy Wrote:If you could tell blindfolded the difference between a DTS Core track and a full DTS HD track then someone needs to make a superhero movie about you.
Yes, I can!
LB06 Wrote:Your point being ... what exactly?:confused2:
You claimed that you can get 5 XBMC boxes to work within 2 hours. I tried to point out that it is not possible to build 5 new htpc and installed XBMC within 2 hours and cook dinner at the same.

If you include DTS-HD option in the mix, it'll take longer too. It took me a lot of time to get DTS-HD to work on my new htpc.
Taravel Wrote:The only program that you listed that let you PLAY bluray is PowerDVD 9 and it isn't free. PowerDVD is included in Retail version of some BR drive and this is one reason because the retail version costs more than the bulk edition.
But you may think that is free like windows when you buy a PC from a manufacter.
If you buy a BD-ROM, PowerDVD 9 is included. It is cheaper than buy PowerDVD 9 by itself.

Taravel Wrote:If I don't use windows I must buy Windows to use MCE...what you said doesn't have any sense because is like I tell you that Photo-shop is free if you buy Adobe Creative Suite...If you use Linux you must not buy Windows. I don't know how to explain you better and I will not try again...
If you buy Windows 7, MCE is included.
bluray Wrote:You claimed that you can get 5 XBMC boxes to work within 2 hours. I tried to point out that it is not possible to build 5 new htpc and installed XBMC within 2 hours and cook dinner at the same.

If you include DTS-HD option in the mix, it'll take longer too. It took me a lot of time to get DTS-HD to work on my new htpc.
I meant what was the point of listing your collection. It appeared to me as though you were just patting yourself on the back or something (or trying to, anyway).

Really, explain to me what the point is in bragging about 7.1 and then listing some Blu-rays with multichannel TrueHD/DTS-HD. Newsflash: almost all blu-rays have those kind of audio streams on board.
bluray Wrote:Yes, I can!

Heh. Then you need to work for Dolby or DTS, since none of their engineers can.
LB06 Wrote:I meant what was the point of listing your collection. It appeared to me as though you were just patting yourself on the back or something (or trying to, anyway).

Really, explain to me what the point is in bragging about 7.1 and then listing some Blu-rays with multichannel TrueHD/DTS-HD. Newsflash: almost all blu-rays have those kind of audio streams on board.
Since I hit the weight room a year ago, I can not pat myself in the back anymore. Laugh

I'm not bragging about 7.1 DTS-HD. It's my desired to have 7.1 DTS-HD, and I built my htpc and home theater with 7.1 DTS-HD as a minimum specification. I know a lot of home theater people paid a lot of money on their home theater component for this option. I tried to point out to you that those are blu-ray movies I used the most to verify all my htpc, and I enjoy watching it with kids repeatedly.
natethomas Wrote:Heh. Then you need to work for Dolby or DTS, since none of their engineers can.
I can tell the different when I switched between DTS, Dolby, TrueHD and DTS-HD. It may not be night and day difference, but there is difference. I don't think that Dolby and DTS introduced HD audio codec’s to make their specification sheet look good without any different in sound quality.
You can't tell the difference between TrueHD and DTS-HD MA
bluray Wrote:If you buy a BD-ROM, PowerDVD 9 is included. It is cheaper than buy PowerDVD 9 by itself.

If you buy Windows 7, MCE is included.

Are you kidding me ?
Taravel Wrote:Are you kidding me ?
He's a troll. He must be. At least I hope for him that's the case.
bluray Wrote:I can tell the different when I switched between DTS, Dolby, TrueHD and DTS-HD. It may not be night and day difference, but there is difference. I don't think that Dolby and DTS introduced HD audio codec’s to make their specification sheet look good without any different in sound quality.

They absolutely did. Test after test says so. DTS engineers have previously said that there is no audible difference between the highest DTS codec and the master track for human beings. The differences you are hearing are not the differences in the codec. They are the differences in how your equipment are designed to play those codecs back. THAT difference is always clearly audible. High end audio equipment that are correctly calibrated across codecs (in the room in which they are intended to be played) show absolutely no difference among any of the codecs, save the original AC3, at their highest bitrate in double blind tests.

Until you have gone through this process, you simply have no way to accurately say your ears are better than the most professional ears the Dolby/DTS guys can find.
natethomas Wrote:They absolutely did. Test after test says so. DTS engineers have previously said that there is no audible difference between the highest DTS codec and the master track for human beings. The differences you are hearing are not the differences in the codec. They are the differences in how your equipment are designed to play those codecs back. THAT difference is always clearly audible. High end audio equipment that are correctly calibrated across codecs (in the room in which they are intended to be played) show absolutely no difference among any of the codecs, save the original AC3, at their highest bitrate in double blind tests.

Until you have gone through this process, you simply have no way to accurately say your ears are better than the most professional ears the Dolby/DTS guys can find.
I can tell the different in non-TrueHD vs. TrueHD sounds and non-DTS-HD vs. DTS-HD sounds in my 7.1 home theater system. I wish that you live close by, I can let you hear it for yourself.

If there is no different between HD vs. non-hd audio codec's, I don't think that thousand of Boxee, Extreamer, etc owners returned their media players due to issue with HD audio playback. They fight with Boxee, Xtreamer, etc to death to have HD audio playback correctly. Most of them selected these media player for its HD audio playback capability...!
Quote:I can tell the different in non-TrueHD vs. TrueHD sounds and non-DTS-HD vs. DTS-HD sounds in my 7.1 home theater system. I wish that you live close by, I can let you hear it for yourself.

I will say two words...

Code:
Placebo Effect

I honestly doubt that you could not tell the difference with a blind test.

Quote:If there is no different between HD vs. non-hd audio codec's, I don't think that thousand of Boxee, Extreamer, etc owners returned their media players due to issue with HD audio playback. They fight with Boxee, Xtreamer, etc to death to have HD audio playback correctly. Most of them selected these media player for its HD audio playback capability...!

That is called marketing...and it is working with you...they already have your money.

Jerry
bluray Wrote:I can tell the different in non-TrueHD vs. TrueHD sounds and non-DTS-HD vs. DTS-HD sounds in my 7.1 home theater system. I wish that you live close by, I can let you hear it for yourself.!

But only when sent over the solid gold core MonsterCables, right?
-
I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile, but I would go out on a limb and say that I have 'above average' hearing. I have this uncanny ability to pick up people whispering across the room if they mention my name or certain key words.

I honestly can't tell the difference between the codecs. I watched A-team in theaters. I have the 5.1 AC3 HD rip that I love to watch (It's my "go to" surround sound HD movie). I can't tell a damn bit of difference. Maybe I need to spend the $100 on a monster cable. $1000+ on speakers. $500+ on a receiver and $whatever+ on Windows 7.

If you are this neurotic and have THIS much money to blow on auxiliary HTPC components, then you should go with Windows 7 and its "bit perfect replication". After all of them unzip their pants and wave theirs around, you can point at your HTPC setup and go "yeah, but watch this".

If you're the average joe with a <$300 receiver. Decent surround sound speakers (but not perfect) and you care more about the movie plot than a few missing frequencies. AND want to save a ton of money and CPU, memory, & hard drive overhead, get Linux.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux or Windows0