• 4(current)
Video stuttering in Linux
VLC != XBMC

much newer GIT versions of XBMC behave better if you want perfect playback in Linux then stick to VLC and no problem with wife and kids and the whole family, all I can say from my end is IT WORKS, eventually, it requires NEW video drivers tweaking, more tweaking and HW acceleration properly configured and a solid xorg.conf appropriate to your system/tv combo.

Anyway if you want to look at my signature the judder link and if your using a more recent GIT xbmc build look at the whole post + the advancedsettings.xml

I dont have much more to contribute than whats already been covered to death on these forums.

bossanova808 Wrote:It either does or it doesn't - there's no 'especially' about it, 0 = 0 - anyway the best current solution is probably the FernetMenta fork but even that is not perfect and I don't believe the pull request has made it back into core yet - see 163 (PR) - while this increases smoothness it has issues with de-interlacing/scaling IIRC so there's a bit of work to be done yet and apparently it's all a bit too 'ION' whatever that means.

Anyway, it's really up to the devs t get us there, I just hope they want & choose too, it would be awesome to remove the one serious and pretty fundamental niggle that most people experience...

Well I agree its doesnt work 100% out of the box but yet and still without fermentas branch which is nothing close to finished and that only addresses vdpau which is a nvidia in general thing not ION exclusive. I still have a perfectly working box except for the odd XBMC bug or shortcommings, but let me say this, I couldn't code a line so I do best I can with the tools I'm given.
deuch Wrote:Or more barbarian, remove the audio track and video is perfect ... So not a timing problem or HDMI issue.

Then the problem can only really be due to the audio sync code moving the clock. If the sync method is set to drop/dupe and the file has good audio and video timecodes after remux then that should give identical results to having no audio.

FernetMenta's builds are vdpau centric (not ION), and I am working with him to try to improve his re-write still further - the aim to have near perfect have a/v
sync, squeeze the last ounce out of vdpau based decoding, offer more control over decoding method, more accurate and informative counters in codec screen, the least possible stutter for well muxed streams, structured for non-vdpau to be more easily enhanced in a similar way. Be patient as it takes a little time.
ah just remembered, the audio thing is being addressed by gnif and is AE (audio engine) which should solve many of the also related audio issues which prolly cause more grief than video playback due to its rather more complex setup.
Ok so works in progress .... But when Smile New Sigma chips will provide a very georgous gui for half price of a mini-PC (and PQ of sigma + gennum solution can be tremendous Smile )

So hurry to not loose the race Smile I love XMBC and all of the work of the GUI. It's impressive (and i'm a developper too). But it "bother" me a little when the main functionnality (aka play video ...) doesn't work well Smile

But i'm working hard to be more patient :-D
X3lectric Wrote:VLC != XBMC

much newer GIT versions of XBMC behave better if you want perfect playback in Linux then stick to VLC and no problem with wife and kids and the whole family, all I can say from my end is IT WORKS, eventually, it requires NEW video drivers tweaking, more tweaking and HW acceleration properly configured and a solid xorg.conf appropriate to your system/tv combo.

Anyway if you want to look at my signature the judder link and if your using a more recent GIT xbmc build look at the whole post + the advancedsettings.xml

I dont have much more to contribute than whats already been covered to death on these forums.

Well I agree its doesnt work 100% out of the box but yet and still without fermentas branch which is nothing close to finished and that only addresses vdpau which is a nvidia in general thing not ION exclusive. I still have a perfectly working box except for the odd XBMC bug or shortcommings, but let me say this, I couldn't code a line so I do best I can with the tools I'm given.

Did you try my sample ?
TheSwissKnife Wrote:Then the problem can only really be due to the audio sync code moving the clock. If the sync method is set to drop/dupe and the file has good audio and video timecodes after remux then that should give identical results to having no audio.

FernetMenta's builds are vdpau centric (not ION), and I am working with him to try to improve his re-write still further - the aim to have near perfect have a/v
sync, squeeze the last ounce out of vdpau based decoding, offer more control over decoding method, more accurate and informative counters in codec screen, the least possible stutter for well muxed streams, structured for non-vdpau to be more easily enhanced in a similar way. Be patient as it takes a little time.

I think so it's an audio engine problem that causing stuttering
@ deuch

yes it plays just fine and FYI the audio engine is still not part of the main GIT but you can test the branch to see if it fixes it better for you.

also if your a developer why not actually help instead of moaning? I cant code to save my live if I could I would be doing something about it.

edit

hers a link http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...dio+engine

also you may want to fix your xorg.
X3lectric Wrote:@ deuch

yes it plays just fine and FYI the audio engine is still not part of the main GIT but you can test the branch to see if it fixes it better for you.

also if your a developer why not actually help instead of moaning? I cant code to save my live if I could I would be doing something about it.

You do not have any stuttering with the ultra-sample.mkv, in the tunnel, at about 35s ? Nobody achieved to play this file perfectly with any version of XBMC (official). I've tried with FernetMenta Build and it doesn't change anything.

Where is the branch of the new audio engine ? I can try to compile a version.

I'm not helping because i'm (was) a java developper not C or C++.
X3lectric Wrote:@ deuch

I'd rather call it being constructive. Finally someone is bringing much needed attention to these problems.

Much kudos to deuch for starting this thread! Nod
deuch Wrote:You do not have any stuttering with the ultra-sample.mkv, in the tunnel, at about 35s ?

Come on please... I have asked more than once to be more specific if you want help. With a properly remuxed file, without subtitles, and with drop/dupe sync method do you get a video stutter? If you do and consistently in the same place and yet without audio you do not get the stutter ever, then I am at probably at a loss myself...and would need to debug that to offer a solution. I am 99.9% sure it would play without stutter on my system FernetMenta+mo-own mods based, but I can't see why there would be a consistent issue in mainline though.
deuch Wrote:Ok so works in progress .... But when Smile New Sigma chips will provide a very georgous gui for half price of a mini-PC (and PQ of sigma + gennum solution can be tremendous Smile )

You know of a player with SMP8910 that will work this year?
TheSwissKnife Wrote:Come on please... I have asked more than once to be more specific if you want help. With a properly remuxed file, without subtitles, and with drop/dupe sync method do you get a video stutter? If you do and consistently in the same place and yet without audio you do not get the stutter ever, then I am at probably at a loss myself...and would need to debug that to offer a solution. I am 99.9% sure it would play without stutter on my system FernetMenta+mo-own mods based, but I can't see why there would be a consistent issue in mainline though.

What can i say more ? I've more than one video which stutter with an standard 10.1 XBMC install on a ION 2 system. I'm using latest version of nvidia driver, openelec.tv and all the trick with the xorg.conf. Output at 1080p23,976, perfect video timing with my scaler/TV etc ...

I've made all the test you asked me, and there is no stutter ONLY WITHOUT AUDIO TRACK and subtitles. Remux the file help a little but stutter appears elsewhere in the video. Using A/V sync with drop dude audio help a lot but the sound quality is just too bad (too much plic ploc sound). And stuttering is not constant. I can see it on the same same (the tunnel) but not exactly at the same timecode.

So with your distro try my file Smile
deuch Wrote:What can i say more ? I've more than one video which stutter with an standard 10.1 XBMC install on a ION 2 system. I'm using latest version of nvidia driver, openelec.tv and all the trick with the xorg.conf. Output at 1080p23,976, perfect video timing with my scaler/TV etc ...

I've made all the test you asked me, and there is no stutter ONLY WITHOUT AUDIO TRACK and subtitles. Remux the file help a little but stutter appears elsewhere in the video. Using A/V sync with drop dude audio help a lot but the sound quality is just too bad (too much plic ploc sound). And stuttering is not constant. I can see it on the same same (the tunnel) but not exactly at the same timecode.

1. There is no such thing as "perfect video timing with scaler/TV etc". If you are saying that your modeline is accepted happily as a mode 32 23.976p signal then fine - but there is a large range of modelines that would give the same effect, and most will have different refresh rate. More importantly, none of them will exactly match your audio chip clock rate, but you might be close enough to only drift slowly so that the delta is less than an audio or video frame over a few hours. Please take the time to understand this fundamental point.

2. WITHOUT audio AND WITH subtitle works or not? - you have not made this clear.

3. With sync method audio drop/dupe (not dude), and no subtitles do you have VIDEO stutter or not? You don't make it clear the way you write. I am not interested in the fact you get audio stutter at this stage - so don't mention at this stage. If you get video stutter please confirm that this happens without the codec screen up and if there is anything in the debug log around that time (with a few seconds). How many stutters do you see through the sample on average? The way I remember the standard xbmc code is that you need a 100ms delta between audio pts and clock for it to move the clock in drop/dupe mode so if this is happening with good timecodes then you really have a big problem with the audio driving on your system.

I will try sample later - please (re-)post the link to the version that you are now using after remux.
senilio Wrote:I'd rather call it being constructive. Finally someone is bringing much needed attention to these problems.

Much kudos to deuch for starting this thread! Nod

BTW, attention has been there long before this thread. I for one have been working on it for months.
TheSwissKnife Wrote:BTW, attention has been there long before this thread. I for one have been working on it for months.

And you deserve a BIG Thanks for your efforts. The same goes to @X3lectric too because he answers in our questions.

We need an alternative to all these cheap NMT's and of course to have Windows in our machines. XBMC is too close to be perfect and we must help to achieve it.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stuttering in Linux0