[case] http://ow.ly/1tS8dS
[fan] http://ow.ly/1tS8KE
[mobo+igpu] http://ow.ly/1tS8dY
[cpu] http://ow.ly/1tS8dN
[ram] http://ow.ly/1tS8ei x 2
[ssd] http://ow.ly/1rZlTi

Grand Total: $386 shipped to my Canadian Door - $10 Mail-in Rebate = $376

how does it look? Smile

Think I really need a SSD if basically all content is coming off NAS?

Wouldn't mind a smaller case. Case seems quite a bit taller than most...
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Think I really need a SSD if basically all content is coming off NAS?
An SSD is useful for your operating system, XBMC itself, the database XBMC stores your media info in and the various cached artwork and such. It can help speed up browsing through your media collection and generally make XBMC seem much more responsive and zippy on the type of low-power low-noise rigs many people prefer for their HTPCs. Not to mention reducing boot time [edit] or sleep/resume time [/edit] drastically.

You don't need one but they are nice, and not a huge expense for one this size.
You don't need an SSD but it will give you the benefit of very fast startup. There's no reason you couldn't use a traditional HD but if you are streaming your content from a NAS you shouldn't have to worry about HD capacity.
antisuck Wrote:An SSD is useful for your operating system, XBMC itself, the database XBMC stores your media info in and the various cached artwork and such. It can help speed up browsing through your media collection and generally make XBMC seem much more responsive and zippy on the type of low-power low-noise rigs many people prefer for their HTPCs. Not to mention reducing boot time [edit] or sleep/resume time [/edit] drastically.

You don't need one but they are nice, and not a huge expense for one this size.

if you are using a NAS it is likely because you want to share media to multiple devices, which also means you likely want to use a mysql shared library and shared thumbnail cache, so to your points on those, a SSD drive provides no additional value.

regarding boot time, after POST it takes ~ 20 seconds for my openelec (linux) client to boot, and that is off a USB 2.0 stick, so if 20 seconds is long for a ssd might help, but I doubt much as much of the boot time for linux is tied up in sysadmin tasks as the kernel, drivers, and daemons get launched and situated. Regarding returning from standby it is almost instantaneous.

SSD have there place, they are not magic, you should know if an why you should use one. but hell if you dont care buy one.

To the OP Kaitlyn2004,
Sounds like you might be lazy like me. :-) if you are looking for a no noise host that supports XBMC linux based, the shuttle XS35GT works, is noiseless, and works with linux based XBMC just fine. I got one because I was willing to pay the premium for a pre built silent box that would just work. outside of the lack of fans it is like any other atom/ion combo, and AFAIK any atom/ion nettop out there will work for XBMC. where I have the xs35gt the requirement was a silent xbmc client that had a usable interface and could play high quality 1080p content, the box works well that purpose.

regarding hardware, at least for now, if you want to use the easy button, intel/nvidia or amd/nvidia will work with the linux versions of xbmc. I am sure some of the people around here that get excited about exactly which nvidia card will express their deep heart feelings about the exact one you need if you opt for anything other than an intel/atom combo. Wink I read that the amd video is out there and may be working fine, but it sounds like it is less than mainstream (for now) and you might have to compile your own, I cant say for sure. so unless someone corrects me, for the lazy, you might want to let that one cook a bit more.

In short if what you are looking for is a xbmc client with your data on a server, you likely need less hardware than more, the most basic atom/ion box works fine, you can buy more, it wont hurt, but likely wont help much either. IMO there is a tendency on this forum to push to the overbuilt side of things, if you want good video, xbmc functionality, on linux, I can say from direct experience, atom 330/ion's with just 1G of ram and 2G usb flash drives work fine, anything more, provides marginal improvement for that use case.

Lastly

Regarding the linux versions of xbmc, if you want web browsing, and other general purpose capabilities, you will want to look at versions like the live version of XBMC, with that version, you can use a general purpose linux like Ubuntu, which would let you do anything you could do on a liunx host, including run xbmc, but you would need to build the system to match those needs which means matching your storage and memory to meet those requirements that could mean more or less ram or anything from a USB drive to a more traditional hard drive. On the other end, you could go with something like openelec, it is an embeded linux, like what might be on a cell phone or dvr for example, trade off is the linux is not open to install external apps out side of what is in the framework, but it is small clean and works, but if a web browser is important to you, you cant run firefox or chorme on it. I am using openelec versions of xbmc, because I am lazy, didn't want to have to deal with OS care and feeding for my TV based host, and I prefer browsing the web from my pc, but that is just me, you might feel different.

My advice would be, don't over think it, keep it simple, and until you have got some experience with xbmc, stick to the well trodden path.

Good luck
Like i already said, if your comfortable in tinkering inside linux, then good,
but if not, easiest way is to continue your quest using windows7...

no matter how much good LInux can be or even OpenELEC,
i'll never NEVER use anything else but Window as OS...
because i like it, i know how it works,
everything is well supported, no issues whatsoever,
i browse the FULL WEB on my 46" HDTV and im addicted Smile
as you can tell, im a windows Lover!

Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Think I really need a SSD if basically all content is coming off NAS?

as for SSD's, under windows7, minimum required is a 30G SSD...
Helps on many ways as described earlier...
Fast Boots, No noise, Produces Virtually no heat, gives windows a snappy feeling,
so small they can be placed anywhere, Low Power Draining,
i mean, i really recommend them!

Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Wouldn't mind a smaller case.
Case seems quite a bit taller than most...

well i liked that case because parts all fit well in it and accepts a normal 5.25" Optical disc drive!
which helps keep the cost on the low...
Slim Bluray Optical drives are privey :/
but if you dont need one, or dont mind paying for it if anything,
i guess you could go with this slim case here
ANTEC ISK 300-150
it can be placed Horizontally as-well as vertically of course!
claypigeon Wrote:if you are using a NAS it is likely because you want to share media to multiple devices, which also means you likely want to use a mysql shared library and shared thumbnail cache, so to your points on those, a SSD drive provides no additional value.

regarding boot time, after POST it takes ~ 20 seconds for my openelec (linux) client to boot, and that is off a USB 2.0 stick, so if 20 seconds is long for a ssd might help, but I doubt much as much of the boot time for linux is tied up in sysadmin tasks as the kernel, drivers, and daemons get launched and situated. Regarding returning from standby it is almost instantaneous.

SSD have there place, they are not magic, you should know if an why you should use one. but hell if you dont care buy one.
I find it helpful in ways I would attribute to what I listed, maybe Windows caching and paging is crap compared to linux? I don't really know. I didn't buy one just because all the cool kids have them Wink .

Good, detailed post though, thanks for that.
eskro Wrote:Like i already said, if your comfortable in tinkering inside linux, then good,
but if not, easiest way is to continue your quest using windows7...

no matter how much good LInux can be or even OpenELEC,
i'll never NEVER use anything else but Window as OS...
because i like it, i know how it works, ...

Good thing this isn't about you, but the narcissism is entertaining at times. The op asked about xbmc live and she also expressed a concerned about noise. For some reason, which appears to be a pattern, if an answered question does not map to your bias, you often dispute the answer or the concern you your desires or replace their concerns or requirements with your values, or even unfounded statements of fact irregardless of context.

for example, the op wrote in regards to particular Zotac nettop you recomended "Edit: Lots of people seem to think it's noisy..." to which you responded, "it has only one fan in it,,, no big deal Tongue". How do you know it is no big deal, perhaps it is a very big deal, who knows it could be the biggest deal that there ever was,... for her. How do you know the import to her, only she would have any idea how big of a deal it is, 1 fan can make a lot of noise and be high pitched at that, that could or could not be of import to her. You are substituting what you value as important over her concerns.

Or take for example

In what I perceive to be your, unnecessary, attempt to rehabilitate some point of a non existent debate regarding windows vs linux for xbmc. Which I perceived, comes from my response, regarding her XBMC live questions. No where did I attempt to place any value of the import of linux vs windows. Hell I run both (not that this matters), but that is a moot point to in regards to the OP's question. But for some reason,it looks like you felt compelled to comment about how "i'll never NEVER use anything else but Window as OS... because i like it, i know how it works, ... as you can tell, im a windows Lover!" after I was just addressing her linux based xbmc questions. While I am sure your windows love is awesomeness for you, what is the point or value to the OP question, out side of your desire to express your self-love of your own words and pride? I do find the consistency of hubris is entertaining.

I offer to you, wisdom of the legend of Narcissus to ... reflect upon. :-)

Best
you take things way to much seriously claypigeon...
you remind me of a user name Subliminal-Aurora...
which left this section since our last altercation....
i have 2K+ posts in here and i try my best to help
others in choosing whats right for them!
im not pushing any parts on no one...
hence, why i created a startup guide to help new comers..
i wont take this as an offence, but i think your not getting
much of the stuff im trying to explain...
anyhow, If you dont like how i post,
i cant do anything to help you...
i just suggest you move on...
antisuck Wrote:I find it helpful in ways I would attribute to what I listed, maybe Windows caching and paging is crap compared to linux? I don't really know. I didn't buy one just because all the cool kids have them Wink .

Good, detailed post though, thanks for that.

If you are having performance issues from page faulting, more RAM is typicality the best answer, this is true in most any operating system (linux or windows, windows is just typicality a heaver OS, due to is more general purpose nature it has more code in memory, neither good or bad just bigger).

Paging or page faulting is normal and ok, as long as is not excessive. In a OS with memory paging or virtual memory capabilities, the OS attempts to move seldom used portions of memory to persistent storage like disk, to free up the RAM for programs and data that are in frequent use. What happens in a system that is suffering performance due to excessive page faulting is, due to insufficient RAM, portions of more frequently accessed of code and data are having to be moved on and off of disk more frequently. When this happens that program in use has to wait until the virtual memory or "page" is moved back into RAM, since disk IO is magnitudes slower than RAM access this can be a big impact to performance. If that is the problem you are experiencing from a performance perspective, having more RAM means that those active pieces of memory do not have to be paged in and out. That is a better option than a SSD, what a SSD does in an environment where page faulting is a problem is it just means those pages can be read and written faster, but that is still a much slower method to just adding more RAM. Additionally I excessive page faulting might contribute to memory persistence problems with SSD drives.

But I agree, SSD drives are cool regardless if used by the cool kids or not. In the right application they are a godsend vs classic dasd.
eskro Wrote:you take things way to much seriously claypigeon...
you remind me of a user name Subliminal-Aurora...
which left this section since our last altercation....
i have 2K+ posts in here and i try my best to help
others in choosing whats right for them!
im not pushing any parts on no one...
hence, why i created a startup guide to help new comers..
i wont take this as an offence, but i think your not getting
much of the stuff im trying to explain...
anyhow, If you dont like how i post,
i cant do anything to help you...
i just suggest you move on...

Sadly, but so ironically hilarious based on your response, clearly the context of my words have eluded you.

in reflection, please consider.

If post count corresponded to wisdom, you have rivaled Solomon, but sadly it is more the measure of the fool when he confuses the quantity of his words as the depth of his wisdom. So I will attempt to practice the patience of Job, but it is challenge to suffer fools gladly.
well practice good & move on...
Where would we be without the likes of claypigeon and subliminal! Challenging established wisdom with well throughout responses that the established hierarchy dismisses as heresy. Its my way or the highway.

Eskro, we all appreciate your support but you are sometimes blinked to your opinions dismissing others.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
For the Zotec motherboard.. it seems people report a lot of crashes and that the wifi is useless? Hesitant... is it actually a decent mobo?
DavidT99 Wrote:Eskro, we all appreciate your support but you are sometimes blinked to your opinions dismissing others.

David

not true, im an easy going guy that accepts different opinions.
i dont know where you got that,,,

i never said DONT USE LINUX, DONT USE OPENELEC,
and if you read correctly, ive suggested them in many of my posts..
i got nothing agaisnt those OS's...

So as the use of the onboard i3 video per example,
i've always at least told what issues it have,
then its up to the user to decide,,

im doing my best to help
and never forced anyone to choose solely what im saying and thats it!
im only guiding them,,,
heck read my guide, it says 'feel free to swap any parts at any given time because in the end,
everybody has different tastes right!?

i'll take this as a joke
as you could at least give proof of your saying...

and for the record, this is Kaitlyn2004's thread so, lets not demolish it..
lets just help and stay on topic...
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:For the Zotec motherboard.. it seems people report a lot of crashes and that the wifi is useless? Hesitant... is it actually a decent mobo?

i've heard of some WiFi issues and RAM compatibility issues...
but there's workarounds,,,
if you ever really have issues with the onboard WiFi,
you can get a USB Dongle or a WiFi Card if u have a spare PCIe SLot...

on ZOtac's website, they have a list of compatible ram you can choose
which as been tested and approved...

thats why i said this here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post793169
** ZOTAC GF9300-K-E Motherboard picky on RAM
** Working RAM Sticks tested by ZOTAC Themselves --> (1 x 1GB) & (1 x 2GB)
** Buying 2 equal Sticks of either of those will activate the Dual-Channel Feature
** Using other Dual-Channel RAM Kits is possible but might be a bit of a Hit & Miss

~hope this helps
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended option for me?0