had to reinstall - bluray iso playback
Lightbulb 
croaker2112 Wrote:1. download and install to HD the latest live iso
2. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mario-sitz/ppa
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get upgrade
5. sudo restart

all commands were run from a Putty session if that matters.
Original CD-live 10.1 is already installed and configured on my ZBOX's SSD

I plan to save with Clonezilla the image of my CD-live installed version, then upgrade to pre-11 version
(same version founded in Nightlies and working well on my Windows PC's)

But for my XBMC Ubuntu CD live, no "all made" ISO version can be founded at this time :
-> Right ?
.. so I must use the upgrading process described just before, through the net, by PUTTY:

2 choices :
Sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable (for pre-11 simple version)
or
Sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mario-sitz/ppa (for pre-11 with blueray support)

then
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get upgrade
Sudo restart

-> All is Right ?
or am-I missing something ?

Thanks for all and BR Smile
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
actually you don't need to add some random ppa to get official bluray support in XBMC and it carries all needed to build and install the libbluray library, if you willing to compile that is.

If you are willing look at this post under Extra Sections

Compiling with bluray support

Of course its all up to individual choices, most people are not comfortable with compiling, others only very happy to. Whatever you decide is ok, as long as it works eh?

cheers Smile
X3lectric Wrote:.. Whatever you decide is ok, as long as it works eh?
As a total Linux newbie, compiling is not familiar to me

So, I will be obliged to upgrade from non official ppa ..

... or wait (a while ?) for the official XBMC CD-live version 11
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
Jean-Max Wrote:As a total Linux newbie, compiling is not familiar to me

So, I will be obliged to upgrade from non official ppa ..

... or wait (a while ?) for the official XBMC CD-live version 11

So your saying that the manual compile instructions are too complicated to follow? I dont "understand" your comment...

Hey whatever eh? I just wanted to post a choice/alternative not start on who is a total n00b, in fact in many respects I still am a n00b myself indeed when it comes to Linux I am a n00b, all I learnt about "Linux" was because I wanted a choice...
Well I think I will try the compile route since if I ever get the bloody thing compiled and working again I wont mess with it.

However in looking at your instructions dont you have to start from a linux environment to even begin the compile process? How does that work? install a minimal install of Lucid and uninstall XBMC then proceed with the instructions?

cheers
Star 
Well having read all your posts, presuming you want a xbmclive type install then, you can start with a xbmclive install for 10.1, once that is working just follow the instructions...

considering your questions I decided to put the lot together meaning just copy and paste line by line making sure you copying everything and pasting it all correctly into terminal you can use putty for windows or similar if your desktop has a different OS

How To Compile From GIT source with Bluray support

Note 1: If you already have a working xbmc install YOU SHOULD image your HDD with Clonezilla or Acronis True Image 2011 boot CD
A backup is always the smart thing to do in case something borks your system, restore takes 3 minutes average full install and config (hours)

Note 2: If you ignored Note 1 dont say you haven't been warned.

Note 3: This is only for ubuntu lucid if your compiling in Maverick you need to sudo apt-get install autopoint.

Note 4: This is it if you really find this is too confusing, perhaps practice makes perfect, refer to Note 1

Note 5: Corrected stupid error with xbmc ppa which was replaced needed for some dependencies.

Step 1 (compiling for first time) - Do these steps only once -

Code:
sudo su
cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list-backup
add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
echo deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu lucid main >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu lucid main >> /etc/apt/sources.list
aptitude autoclean -y
aptitude update -y
aptitude install ccache libyajl-dev libvdpau-dev debhelper zip git-core make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool yasm nasm automake cmake gperf gettext unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libboost-thread-dev -y -q
apt-get build-dep xbmc -y
cp /etc/apt/sources.list-backup /etc/apt/sources.list
rm -r -f /etc/apt/sources.list-backup
mkdir ~/setup
cd $HOME/setup
git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/libnfs/
make -j4
make install
make -C $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/addons/script.module.pil
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/libbluray
make -j4
make install
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc
./bootstrap; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --enable-libbluray; make -j4
make install prefix=/usr
start xbmc-live
Step 2 (do this when you want to upgrade to the newest git revision) - run this part everytime after when you want to refresh your compile -

Code:
sudo su
stop xbmc-live
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc
make distclean
git reset --hard
git clean -xfd
git pull --rebase
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/libnfs/
make -j4; make install
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/libbluray
make -j4
make install
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc
./bootstrap ; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --enable-libbluray
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/addons/script.module.pil
make clean; make
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc
make -j4
make install prefix=/usr
start xbmc-live
Im pretty sure that's all the steps there including NFS support, Im sure it can be improved but this is it, should work.

FAQ

Q) Just compiled XBMC it wont autostart or get a blank screen
A) Reinstall your video drivers and recompile XBMC

Q) Compiling use to work today it failed, I havent changed anything.
A) Sometimes Devs break compiles in trunk because of nature of code always changing, wait 24/48 hours before trying again... You can always ask in freenode IRC #XBMC-Linux for help.

Q) What is NFS
A) NFS explanation can be found here

Q) Can I browse and mount NFS shares in XBMC via GUI?
A) Yes if your using a GIT version as long as your compiling the libnfs the ./configure line will pick this up and compile support directly.

Q)How long does compile and/or update take
A) First time takes a long time up to 2 hours because GIT trunk is around 1GB download. The update should take around 15 to 30 minutes on a quad core cpu (see the make -jx where x is number of cores in your system) feel free to adjust the -j value to correctly amount of cpu cores you have by default its set to 4.

Q) when refresh compile the cd $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/libbluray
make -j4
make install
Failed at make
A) try to make install only skipping make if this still fails, your bluray support is still enabled and you can skip these steps. If you really want the latest bluray baddly try get some help at freenode IRC #xbmc#linux on how to refresh that git repo.

Cheers.

for more information refer to here and make a comment there is also another topic where this is based on here

For Forum limitations of 10000 characters per post the rest is carried over to my blog
Thanks very much X3lectric I will give this a go tomorrow, too many hours at work today and brain fried. I think this looks pretty straightforward (refer to note 1 Smile).

Thanks for your help

Cheers
eh no problem, I tried to make it a simple and straight forward. Im sure it will make sense,,, Refer to Note: 1 and enforce it...Shocked save you and me a ton of headaches.Confused
all went well until:

make install prefix=/usr
make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
did you copy and pate all this line? sounds like the make -j4 was not ran

./bootstrap; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --enable-libbluray; make -j4

you can try to run them individually

but because idk what's failed because you posted so little, Im not a mind reader.

try

cd $HOME/setup/xbmc

make

make install prefix=/usr

without doing anything else if that fails I want to know what error is.

also can you post you current

cd $HOME/setup/xbmc/config.log into pastebin

and post link here

cheers
I copied and pasted each and every line in the order you have them.

On the line I pasted I got that response. xbmc still runs but no joy on the bluray support yet.

I would be happy to give more information but I am not sure what more I can give. I did this on an existing install of xbmc Lucid 10.01 but it had be updated so I think I will just do a vanilla install and go re-run all of the commands you listed.
Here is a link to the config.log on pastbin.

cheers.
Sad 
ok the configure exited with 1 that's cause of some error or errors. I think its because partly my fault but XBMC ppa has been nuked so we need to add the new one that replaced it, I fixed this on where I posted this before but i missed this one.

a good compile will have config.log exit configure: exit 0

good news is #define HAVE_LIBBLURAY 1 which means its compiled and installed

in fact it looks all you need was detected installed and picked up by ./configure

So what we are going to try is correct missing deps and recompile, so bare with this. Once its out of the way, it should be all working ok, including bluray.

try these steps to try and correct it.

Code:
sudo su
cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list-backup
add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
echo deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu lucid main >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu lucid main >> /etc/apt/sources.list
aptitude update -y
apt-get build-dep xbmc -y
cp /etc/apt/sources.list-backup /etc/apt/sources.list
rm -rf /etc/apt/sources.list-backup
You should get quite a few packages install now 1 probably will be removed.

then when its complete please try these.

Code:
sudo su
stop xbmc-live
cd $HOME/setup/xbmc
git reset --hard
git clean -xfd
git pull --rebase
make distclean
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --enable-libbluray
make
make install prefix=/usr
start xbmc-live
as you see its broken down and a great deal simpler cause now some libs are installed and ok.

Now presuming that went ok and xbmc trunk is compiling ok (cause sometimes it does break) You should be welcomed by a brad spanking new XBMC with bluray.iso playback and all other good stuff.

Sorry for my ballz up, I will correct the original instructions as soon as I finished posting this.

cheers.
Thanks X3lectric, I followed your instructions but

I get:

root@XBMCLive:~/setup/xbmc# make distclean
make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'. Stop.

But the config log exits with 1

so should I go ahead with the git statements?

cheers
Also here is the pastebin of the new config.log

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
had to reinstall - bluray iso playback0