Dirty regions
So guys,

what are your findings with this new stuff? Or did discussions move to facebook :p ?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Not a lot to discuss really aside from that you may get visual issues in your skin until it's 100% so now is the time for skinners to turn it on and check for issues before a new permanent build comes out and still has issues
Jezz_X Wrote:Not a lot to discuss really aside from that you may get visual issues in your skin until it's 100% so now is the time for skinners to turn it on and check for issues before a new permanent build comes out and still has issues
pecinko and Jezz_X,

Yep, a couple of minor visual issues, but certainly a major step in the right direction. On my E8400 C2D uses less memory and CPU time, should fly on an AppleTV when issues are sorted out. The visualisation flag is very handy to show what is changing on screen. Have already seen a couple of areas in my skin that need tuning. So for the moment probably good for skinners to play with, but not sure if it's upto everyday use.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Make sure you let us know what those issues are Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Make sure you let us know what those issues are Smile
Jonathan,

Not a problem mate. About the only issue I'm having on the Windows box is that the visualisation is showing areas as being dirty that are not. Non scrolling Textbox's mainly, but also a couple of non focused buttons (but not all of them). Other than than I am yet to see any graphic glitches, but have only had a little play. Will report anything major that I find.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

- OK just had another play. The non focused buttons that the visualisation is showing as dirty are non focused buttons in my "List" view that overflow the button (ie they scroll if they become focused). So would seem to be a problem with scrolling text in general. Marking as dirty even when text is not scrolling. Also have the issue with the RSS text area even when turned off (RSS that is). Hope that helps.
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
jmarshall Wrote:Make sure you let us know what those issues are Smile

In here, a specific development thread or on Trac?

Also, could the problems be with the skins themselves?
Hitcher Wrote:....
Also, could the problems be with the skins themselves?

Possibly and is probably worth checking out before you make a bug report to see if your code looks sane. But really if it worked before it should work now
OK, tried it and I have cca 15% speed gains (judging from fps) on OS X. There seams to be a problem with horizontal scrolling/slide in fanart view. It does not affect Confluence, but it does not manifest in pre-dirty builds. I'll have to investigate some more.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

The first thing I noticed is that <scroll>true</scroll> doesn't work anymore for a label control, instead it sort of shakes if the text is too long for the label.
Hitcher Wrote:Also, could the problems be with the skins themselves?

The idea is that it should be non-intrusive. So while skinners might be setting wrong sizes guilib should detect it as much as possible. Granted there might surely be bugs with this Big Grin

As for trac, one ticket per bug would be good, easier to manage and discuss that way.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Big_Noid Wrote:The first thing I noticed is that <scroll>true</scroll> doesn't work anymore for a label control, instead it sort of shakes if the text is too long for the label.

Weird, was sure I tried that. Please open a trac ticket (with xml for the control please) and cc me and jmarshall

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Biggest problem i've noticed is that some animations are now sluggish, especially if it's a more heavy animation... this happens for me in all "dirty region"-builds, also if the dirty region feature is not enabled in the advancedsettings.xml. It's definitely not that smooth as it was with the older builds.
`Black Wrote:Biggest problem i've noticed is that some animations are now sluggish, especially if it's a more heavy animation... this happens for me in all "dirty region"-builds, also if the dirty region feature is not enabled in the advancedsettings.xml. It's definitely not that smooth as it was with the older builds.

Could you please create a ticket with examples showcasing it. Dirty Region does not interfere with animations if disabled. Only thing dirty region does is mark if it detects a change, and then render just that part. All it does in animations is detect a change, it does not alter any of the calculations or how often they happen or the timing of them. So disabled dirty region _should_ not make anything behave differently.

Might be a bug of course, so examples so we can reproduce would be awesome Smile

topfs2 Wrote:Might be a bug of course, so examples so we can reproduce would be awesome Smile

I'll try but it's difficult to capture... already recorded some videos but it's not that noticeable as if you're seeing it for real. "20110616-f12ca08" is ok, it starts happening in all builds after that.

So here are 2 videos, you'll notice the slightly less smooth hide animation of the list view if video info is opened.

Before (from 28s)
After (from 23s)
Would be nice if it was GUI setting instead of Advanced Settings for now temporarly so that is easier to test it ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dirty regions0