2 Concerns before pulling trigger
Hey all, been reading here for awhile and I thanks to you I think I've got it together. Feel free to comment on the parts listed below:
Intel Celeron E3400 Processor 2.60 GHz 1 MB Cache Socket LGA775 $43
MSI LGA 775 Intel G41 1 PCIEx16/1 PCIEx1/1 PCI Micro-ATX Motherboard G41M-P23 $57
MSI nVidia GeForce GT 520 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card N520GT-MD1GD3/LP $61
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH $57 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231276

Concern 1
Looking at the SilverStone Case ML03B, will the cooling be adequate in this smaller size with a few 80mm silent fans? Will the openings on top allow a lot of CPU fan noise to be heard? What are your experiences with this case?
I want to do this on a budget but I don't want to spend too little and waste money buying something I wind up not being able to use.

Concern 2
Don't know what to do about a remote control. I understand from reading, Win7 leaves a lot more options open to me as far as remotes goes. MCE remotes, etc. vs having to go with a Harmony under Linux.
If I go Linux I become dependent on others for step by step help with every tweak and adjustment. Plus I want HD audio via HDMI to my Denon AVR-590 which Linux is not ready for from what I understand. (Advanced Linux users may be able to get more out it but can spell Linux and that's about it).
Do MCE remotes work as universal remotes for other devices?
I've glanced at TV tuners and some come with remotes. How about those?
I don't have cable service I only watch what I DL for now... but maybe in the future... So it might be cost effective to go the TV tuner card w remote route but I don't know how good they are or if they can become universal remotes too.
Appreciate your help and thank you for reading my post.
I forgot to add two components I already have.
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817139026

I also snagged the Kingston 64gb SSD with the rebate
Concern 1
--------------

yeah, u can add up to 4 x 80mm case fans!
SilenX IXP-74-09 80mm 1700RPM 32CFM 14dBA ($8 + $4) http://ow.ly/1sWWpj

Concern 2
--------------

best remotes are HARMONY hands down.... ($36 + $0) http://ow.ly/1tYyft
Note: you'll need to buy a seperate IR RECEIVER....
many like the flirc.tv
alot of good comments so far...
works under Linux and Windows!

Concern 3
--------------

South Bridge: Intel ICH7
i think you wont be able to enable the TRIM feature of your SSD....
and to me thats important...
increases the life span of your SSD...
and also makes it perform at its best!
So to enable TRIM support, your mobo needs at least --> South Bridge: Intel ICH10

Concern 4
--------------

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 doesnt fit well in the SilverStone Case ML03B
if you plan on adding a Optical Drive Later on....
CX430 is too deep...
best PSU to place in there is the ANTEC EARTHWATTS...
its less deep and allows you to install an optical disc drive with ease...

Concern 5
--------------

What do u need to buy to be concern free? this here:
[cpu] Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz LGA-1155 Dual-Core 65W ($70 + $0)
[mobo] MSI H61M-E33 (B3) LGA-1155 Micro-ATX ($60 + $0)
[gpu] ASUS GeForce GT520 1GB DDR3 64-bit Fanless Low Profile ($50 + $0)
[case] SILVERSTONE ML03B Micro-ATX ($60 + $0)
[psu] Antec EarthWatts 380W ATX12V ($40 + $0)
TOTAL: ($280)
Also maybe 2 case fans and your set
Doh!! thanks for the info on the TRim support - back to the drawing board on that then?

remote, just get the appropriate HP IR receiver to go w the harmony then?
update my post, read again Tongue
My HTPC is in the ML03B case that you are considering. I have 2 80mm PWM fans in there and it is basically silent. The only time I can hear any fan noise is if the TV is off and the house is completely quiet, then I can barely hear a faint hum from the fans.

I think you should consider getting a 150w picoPSU & 150w ac adapter. It will give you a huge amount of room in there and help improve airflow as well. 150 watts should be plenty for your system, heck 120w would probably be enough.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
eskro Wrote:Concern 3
--------------

South Bridge: Intel ICH7
i think you wont be able to enable the TRIM feature of your SSD....
and to me thats important...
increases the life span of your SSD...
and also makes it perform at its best!
So to enable TRIM support, your mobo needs at least --> South Bridge: Intel ICH10

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/763980-inte...ost9819938
The guy says:
I have an Intel SSD on ICH7, it doesn't win any benchmarks but it's plenty fast, and with PCIIDE or IntelIDE drivers it supports TRIM
Image :cool:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2 Concerns before pulling trigger0