SOUND: HDMI for video, SPKR OUT for music?
sorry but googling on this question is not working out.

Does xbmc (on Linux, ubuntu 11.04) have the necessary configuration control so that I can set up HDMI sound output for watching videos and then set for Speaker out on the same PC for playing back music?
[ALTERNATIVELY I could use S/PDIF digital audio out from the PC to the Receiver if there's any particular reason to consider it]

The "wiring" would be

VIDEO:
PC/xbmc -> HDMI (only) -> LCD

MUSIC
PC/xbmc -> Speaker-out mini-plug (or SPDIF) -> Receiver (mini-plug/SPDIF)

(I have HDMI audio out working under Mythtv, so I'm expecting I can just re-use that combination of kernel headers and settings when I rip out Myth from this PC - it's an Acer Revo 3700)

[and, no, this particular room is not setup for playing back the video's audio tracks through the receiver... it's a long story]

TIA!
Yes, of course. There are still many receivers without hdmi (and most people just use regular active PC speakers or ear/headphones), so yes, that's perfectly possible Smile

Just set your audio out and passthrough out to Coaxial/Optical or something.
Or you could just get the dual audio patch, output everything to everything and mute/turn off the one that's not on.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Or you could just get the dual audio patch, output everything to everything and mute/turn off the one that's not on.
Why would (s)he want to do that Confused
You can flip between sound sinks without changing any settings.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I realize that but that's obviously not what TS needs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SOUND: HDMI for video, SPKR OUT for music?0