New user want to load movies/eps to internal hdd
Hello, I've searched the forum and this issue comes up a few times, I haven't quite got what I need reading them, so posting this up.

I'm thinking about getting a small netop box, specs at bottom of post, and I'm unsure whether to use a Live, Linux or Windows installation for it.

The main purpose of such a unit is to be a jukebox for DVDs, to save repeated inserting/removing of DVDs and Blu-Rays, particularly so I can have some playlists I can put on continous repeat (random ideally) of cartoons for the kiddies to watch and a portable library to watch on holiday etc.

In the past, I've used Slysoft's software to copy DVDs and convert them to portable formats I can take on holiday with me, Archos, PSP, iPhone, you name it (which works great, although battery in my mobile devices tends to run out, grr!).

Am I right, that I'll still need to do this on another PC and transfer to this unit? Since I want it to be a simple box setup. The drive is a super multi and supports Blu-Ray, so it would be absolutely fantastic if the whole process could be done on the unit itself simply. I would like to keep chapter information, reduce space required (remove all unnecessary extras, movie is all I'm interested in or Episodes). I'm guessing an encoding process will be required for that.

Is it possible for it to cache a disc (DVD or Blu-Ray) raw files to the HDD drive and be able to play these, but queue them for later conversion while the unit is in standby mode overnight? Move the encoded one to the normal folder and put the raw file version into a Deleted Items/Bin, which I can clear out if the encoded one plays fine?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and offer your advice.

Specs:
•CPU - Intel Core i3-350M 2.26GHz Mobile Processor
•Chipset - Mobile Intel HM55 Express chipset
•VGA - Intel HD Graphics
•RAM - 2 x 2GB
•HDD - 500GB 2.5"HDD, support 2nd 2.5"HDD
•ODD - DVD Super Multi
•Front I/O - 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x MIC, 1 x Headphone
•Rear I/O - 1 x HDMI, 1 x D-Sub VGA, 6 x USB 2.0, 1 x S/PDIF, 1 x eSATAII
•LAN - Gigabit LAN
•Sound - 7.1 CH HD Audio with THX TruStudio Pro
•WiFi - 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
•Remote Controller - Support MCE function
I'm not sure if the Intel GPU will do hardware acceleration with XBMC Live or on Linux. Having said that, the Intel GPUs are pretty dodgy even on Windows.

JR
Oh right, its an Asrock, thought they were ok and it was ATI's that were a bit dodge.
So does everyone swear by NVIDIA? Guess I need to look deeper into the hardware solution as well.
Generally speaking both ATI and NVIDIA work well with XBMC on Windows, and NVIDIA works well on Linux/Live though I'm unsure about ATI on Linux.

On Windows both ATI and NVIDIA are subject to driver hassles. NVIDIA seem to be a bit better, though some users have reported problems with the latest drivers. ATI users seem to generate lots of traffic about problems with obscure settings in the Catalyst Control Centre.

Most of the Asrock users hereabouts use the 330 or similar, and that has an NVIDIA GPU.

JR
Just based on what I am seeing here your best bet would be to start out with a Windows load with XBMC on top if you are looking to RIP and store. Slysoft AnyDVD (I believe thats what you said you are using) is Awesome for creating ISO's if you want to keep the menu structures etc. currently XBMC does not support Blu-Ray iso formats so you would to RIP those off in MKV format. I currently have 3 XBMC boxes running. Apple TV 2, Acer Aspire Revo, and Windows 7 Media box. I use the windows box and a Mac to rip all of my movies which are then thrown up to a NAS. You can store your movies to your internal hard drive but in my experience as your hard drive gets more full with movies, XBMC slows down. Plus if your hard drive crashes you are back to square one re-ripping all your movies AGAIN.

Your setup sounds great but I would strongly consider at least starting out with an external USB Hard drive as your media drive instead of using your OS drive.

Just my 2 cents Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New user want to load movies/eps to internal hdd0